Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Sigma DP2 Quattro Shots

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sigma DP2 Quattro Shots

What I have seen so far from the Quattro is excellent, but also seems to be comparable to what a Sony A7r with one of the e-mount primes produces. The Merrill is different enough to keep it around. The Quattro does not get my money although it can make for an "Aston with Quattro inside" .

Post Thanks / Like

Quentin,

what is your take on the 39MP JPEGs from camera? I really don't like to use the Sigma raw converter.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo
    http://www.outbackphoto.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ustein View Post
    Quentin,

what is your take on the 39MP JPEGs from camera? I really don't like to use the Sigma raw converter.
    Uwe,

Not tried one as yet - as I rarely use jpegs out of camera, although I hear they are much better with the Quattro.

Been setting up the Quattro for use with Nodal Ninja pano head. Not as easy as with the Merrill due to the odd shape.

Will shoot a jpeg or two tomorrow
    Quentin Bargate
    Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2017, ”leading individual”, Chambers HNW guide, 2017, Photographer

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quentin Bargate
    Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2017, ”leading individual”, Chambers HNW guide, 2017, Photographer
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Amongst the controversy, there is still much to like

My wife's horse, Nevado, gives me the eye

Quentin Bargate
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Has an eye for you Quentin.

The color rainbows in the horse's eyelashes are fat oil reflections of light?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by G43 View Post

Has an eye for you Quentin.

The color rainbows in the horse's eyelashes are fat oil reflections of light?
    Probably, but I have reduced them now in any event. Much less apparent in the original Tiff.
    Quentin Bargate

Post Thanks / Like

Your certainly did

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Colours are good by default
    Quentin Bargate

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Quentin_Bargate View Post
    first time i have seen DPXQ's output with 3D pop! so the DPXQ can do it too!

my hope for Q is back on the table.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by octagone View Post
    Very informative

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a link to a full 39MP rendered image with very fine detail and moire trap:

Zoom in
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here is a link to a full 39MP rendered image with very fine detail and moire trap:

Zoom in

Uwe,

From Raw, or in-camera jpeg? I tried an in-camera S-Hi jpeg and it looked a bit oversharpened. This sample does not look over sharpened.

Quentin
    Quentin Bargate

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by UHDR View Post
    first time i have seen DPXQ's output with 3D pop! so the DPXQ can do it too!

my hope for Q is back on the table.
    And what do you learn out of it? The "3D pop" is just a Matter of angle and Perspective...

Post Thanks / Like

Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Post Thanks / Like

>From Raw, or in-camera jpeg?

From Raw

>I tried an in-camera S-Hi jpeg and it looked a bit oversharpened. This sample does not look over sharpened.

If you want to use in camera S-Hi you need to sharpening to -10 :-). But I gave up any JPEGs in camera today because I got bad banding in skies.

Conclusion: Be patient with Photo Pro :-)
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Very informative
    In these examples rendering quattro is better than merrill.
    Photos quattro are more nuances, finer detail, more depth (3D) with better bokeh, while being more realistic (according to the author photos).
    For example the first 4 pictures in the photo with sunlight, further details which are more numerous and purposes, quattro, although it is not super easy either, the big difference is mainly terms of color and relief.
    Quattro reveals more shades than merrill. Trees, including those in the background and the background are much more relief. It is noticeable by the fact that their enlightened sides ressortes for more than merrill, have felt much more volumes, are those of merrill side dishes.

Photo overcast, the differences are still more marked.
    The wealth of colors, especially in the green even more in favor of the relative quattro merrill.
    Trees quattro version have better modeled, their volumes are much better made (the merrill they appear side dishes). Whether those in the foreground and the background of those background.

The whole image quattro has a lot more depth, relief.
    The bottom and the front plane, are hardly differentiated on the merrill release. No depth, unlike the quattro versions.

Post Thanks / Like

It sounds to me like many of you are trying really hard to convince yourselves that the Quattro is better than the Merrill.

Most of this is subjective as is any Art form.

I will be receiving my Quattro loaner tomorrow and I will find out for myself.

These "how many Angels can dance on the head of a pin ?" arguments get tedious.

Try the camera for yourself and then decide if it suits you better than a comparable Merrill.

Good shooting.

Post Thanks / Like

Photos quattro are more nuances, finer detail, more depth (3D) with better bokeh, while being more realistic (according to the author photos).
    For example the first 4 pictures in the photo with sunlight, further details which are more numerous and purposes, quattro, although it is not super easy either, the big difference is mainly terms of color and relief.
    Quattro reveals more shades than merrill. Trees, including those in the background and the background are much more relief. It is noticeable by the fact that their enlightened sides ressortes for more than merrill, have felt much more volumes, are those of merrill side dishes.

The wealth of colors, especially in the green even more in favor of the relative quattro merrill.
    Trees quattro version have better modeled, their volumes are much better made (the merrill they appear side dishes). Whether those in the foreground and the background of those background.

The bottom and the front plane, are hardly differentiated on the merrill release. No depth, unlike the quattro versions.
    I actually like the rendering of the Merrill over the Quattro much more. I see the Q kind of X-TRANS flat rendering if I dare say
    I find the Q more 2-D over the Merrill that shows incredible 3-D rendering.
    Colors apart, they seem quite correct with the Q. The M is a bit off. I though find color fidelity less important unless you shoot documentary. B&W images are really off true colors, but well accepted
    (May I say that colors perceived on the WWW are screwed up anyhow. Monitors not calibrated and what do we have?)

Anyways... Who likes the one over the other is a taste category question not to be objective answered. Photography aught to be art at the end of the day.

The information gathered in this thread is pretty informative and a good guide to the potential buyer.

Wonder what will be shown around when the Q's are matured?

Post Thanks / Like

Looking at these comparisons: https://www.flickr.com/photos/preben...57645396604688

The landscapes (Q1, M1, Q2, M2) were taken handheld and at different times. The Quattro looks better, but the Merrill images don't look representative of what I can get out of my Merrill.

M3 is better than Q3.

The flower images are out of focus, and don't tell me anything.

M6 is better than Q6.

M7 is much, much, better than Q7.

Just when I think there's a test that finally shows the Quattro is "better", I see an image from the Merrill that blows me away once again.

I think the Quattro can only get better though. I hope so. Maybe I'll pick up a DP1Q.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

When you look at comparison shots done by someone else, then unless they are tripod mounted raw files, you are judging the photographer and his personal choices as much as the camera. I think what we all wanted was an improved Merrill, but what we have been given is a different camera, and none of us have enough experience with it yet. I will continue to give my Q a thorough work out over the next few days and weeks before I reach a definitive conclusion.

In the meantime, lets see some more shots taken with the Q
    Quentin Bargate

Post Thanks / Like

...Wonder what will be shown around when the Q's are matured?
    Danube will flow to Germany,

I have never seen a matured Sigma Camera, instead of "maturing" a product like DP2m they open anothher building site.^^

Post Thanks / Like

You probably right. Europe will be open sea then?

Look at Fuji. Even though they spit out a new camera every second day, they find it worth to satisfy owners of cameras solving bugs even on few generations before the newest newest most fantastic.
    I like them for doing that But it shows how poorly matured many first gen cameras are.
    I blame the shareholders for it. Employees performance bonuses and that sort of quantity oriented values.

Post Thanks / Like

Based on 39MP export out of Photo Pro.

I start to like the Quattro. All handheld by the way.

Actually my main issue is Photo Pro. Good developers would make it more usable and at least 10x faster.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

This is kinda hard to say but those image have a bit of a "step away from Foveon, step in towards Bayer" kinda feel to them. That's not bad quality, but it's just not quite what the Foveon used to be.

That said- try shooting the Quattro in low res mode- that should give you a true X3 color capture.

As for SPP being made faster- agree with you 300% I found out looking at an app on the Mac that it doesn't use the GPU.

- Ricardo

Post Thanks / Like

This looks like junk and is junk. But it is part of some art work.

Here is a art work:

This art actually tells a story. The river Leine snakes through Hannover (double n in German). Each of the three cubes contains junk recovered from the Leine in a well defined quite small stretch and at a certain year. There are plaques that list all of it.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Motion blur handheld. The 39MP rendering shows even very minor shake:

This may look ok at this size but it shows motion blur. Yes, the DP2Q deserves a tripod :-)
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Post Thanks / Like

Do I notice some barrel distortion?

Post Thanks / Like

You probably right. Europe will be open sea then?

Look at Fuji. Even though they spit out a new camera every second day, they find it worth to satisfy owners of cameras solving bugs even on few generations before the newest newest most fantastic.
    I like them for doing that But it shows how poorly matured many first gen cameras are.
    I blame the shareholders for it. Employees performance bonuses and that sort of quantity oriented values.
    Well, Sigma doesn't have that excuse. Family-owned and family-run company. They do have to feed their employees tho, so some stuff gets pushed out the door a bit early.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Based on 39MP export out of Photo Pro.
    I start to like the Quattro. All handheld by the way.

Actually my main issue is Photo Pro. Good developers would make it more usable and at least 10x faster.
    Looks good, but any better than resizing normal size (19 mp?) files up to 39 mp in photo zoom or perfect resize?
    Last edited by scho; 23rd July 2014 at 16:46.
    Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kofronj View Post
    ...Family-owned and family-run company....
    now I got it, the crazy son of the owner is locked in a dungeon and designs the cameras there

Post Thanks / Like

New sensor, same lens = better bokeh? Really? The Quattro files look comparable to the Sony A7r ones. Nice with lots of resolution and good color but lacking the Foveon bite.

Post Thanks / Like

>but any better than resizing normal size (19 mp?) files up to 39 mp in photo zoom or perfect resize?

I clearly think so. Looks really good. They have more info to work with.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by retow View Post
    New sensor, same lens = better bokeh? Really? The Quattro files look comparable to the Sony A7r ones. Nice with lots of resolution and good color but lacking the Foveon bite.
    In these examples, the sharpness of the quattro is as good as merrill.
    Only small details are contrasted with merrill. But I think these example, including landscapes, large numbers of small contrasting details merrill, remove the modeling and depth to photos.

nice photos Ustein.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

View from the Shard in London looking across to the City:

Full resolution jpeg here:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...From_Shard.jpg

DP2Q, F/5, 1/500 sec, ISO100. Sky darkened.

Some reflections might be apparent as this was shot through glass from the 32 Floor restaurant.
    Quentin Bargate
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Further image with a lot of detail, also from the Shard

Full resolution Jpeg here:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...om_Shard_2.jpg
    Quentin Bargate

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

An option worth trying is to turn "off" all noise reduction and sharpening (-2), export as a 16 bit TIFF S-HI (so a 39mp file) then add a little sharpening to taste. This gives a very respectable imitation of a circa 40mp MF image, with excellent pixel level detail and sharpness.

so here is a crop from a S-HI version of the train line shot, moderately sharpened using smart sharpen in Photoshop:

Link to full size crop

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ard_2_Crop.jpg

The cropped section is show outlined in red below

link to
    Last edited by Quentin_Bargate; 23rd July 2014 at 12:31.
    Quentin Bargate
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

>This gives a very respectable imitation of a circa 40mp MF image, with excellent pixel level detail and sharpness.

I second this. Too bad there is no 39MP mode for the DP2M.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Quentin and Uwe for posting these images.

While it appears that the resolution is good and fine detail capture stellar... Quentin's last 100% crop appears to be shot through a very weak soft focus filter. There is still a thin veil of diffusion in this image. I've never seen this on any other camera... and I think that for certain applications it could be very desirable.

Surprising that the resolution can be so good in-spite of this. I think this shows the potential of the sensor with more mature software development...

I think that because of this slight diffusion the yet to be released DP3Q will be an even better portrait camera as well as being better suited for certain things like floral photography and portraiture.

In the event Sigma improves Sigma Photo Pro, it might be useful for those who appreciate this slight diffusion to save the current copy of SPP as Sigma may do away with this haze in future releases. Personally I like it for the aforementioned applications.

Lawrence

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lawrence,

Some of the diffusion effect is because the image was shot through glass and the crop is a distance away on a slightly hazy day.

Quote Originally Posted by apocolibri View Post
    Thank you Quentin and Uwe for posting these images.

While it appears that the resolution is good and fine detail capture stellar... Quentin's last 100% crop appears to be shot through a very weak soft focus filter. There is still a thin veil of diffusion in this image. I've never seen this on any other camera... and I think that for certain applications it could be very desirable.

Surprising that the resolution can be so good in-spite of this. I think this shows the potential of the sensor with more mature software development...

I think that because of this slight diffusion the yet to be released DP3Q will be an even better portrait camera as well as being better suited for certain things like floral photography and portraiture.

In the event Sigma improves Sigma Photo Pro, it might be useful for those who appreciate this slight diffusion to save the current copy of SPP as Sigma may do away with this haze in future releases. Personally I like it for the aforementioned applications.

Lawrence
    Quentin Bargate

Post Thanks / Like

I did two tests with photozoom. Accentuation worked with photoshop.

The same version accentuated.

Click on the thumbnail.
    Then the image.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

From the 72nd floor of the Shard, with the DP2Q.

Quentin Bargate

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

From ground level with DP2 Merrill

Quote Originally Posted by Quentin_Bargate View Post
    From the 72nd floor of the Shard, with the DP2Q.

Post Thanks / Like

I did two tests with photozoom. Accentuation worked with photoshop.

The same version accentuated.

Click on the thumbnail.
    Then the image.

Spp, seems to me as good as photozoom for interpolations.
    My examples are just more contrasted and accentuated.

Post Thanks / Like

I got my test Q today.

Lot's of probs w SPP 6.0.4

Right now I can't even save files.

Post Thanks / Like

M vs. Q

100 ISO, Standard, F8, 2 clicks down on sharpening, 1 down on chroma and luma noise AWB on the Q, Daylight on M

Both tripod mounted w. 2 second self-timer

Post Thanks / Like

I hope this is ok with you Quentin. I added a bit DOP Optimal Sharp:

Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Post Thanks / Like

>..Too bad there is no 39MP mode for the DP2M...
    whatever this means

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Its fine, Uwe. I use several sharpening and upscaling tools, none of which I have with me on my office Laptop (they are on my main processing PC back at home). Just shows how good the files can be, particularly S-HI, and where most of the post processing is done outside of SPP.
    Quentin Bargate