The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP2 Quattro Shots

octagone

Damage, the latest version of spp, does not work on my computer. He informed me that I did not have enough memory.

Rand47

No idea, Rand.

The Quattro is probably the better camera. Higher resolution, more "normal" looking files, but therefore less exciting. I remember the excitement when I first decoded a Merrill raw. I don't get that same excitement with the Quattro, but I do see a better balanced file with very high resolution.

Importantly, both fit nicely in the glove compartment of the Aston :ROTFL:
Quentin,

Thank you... Based on your excellent judgment I'll be keeping the 2 and 3 Merrills. Whether to add a Q to the fleet becomes the question! Since I drive a lowly Toyota 4Runner I'll have to find space for it somewhere in the back. ;)

Please keep the images and impressions coming as you have time and inclination. As others have said, it was your amazing images and insight that had me pull the trigger on the Merrills and I found that your perception of, and treatment of, the files to match my experience almost exactly. Much appreciated.

Wishing you all continued success.

Rand

Hulyss Bowman

Re: Quattro monochrome

I had a Quattro last week for testing and one thing that I haven't seen discussed is the inability to use the blue channel only in SPP for high ISO monochrome shots. Bummer.
DP2Q @ ISO 1600 100% crop

DP2M @ ISO 1600 100% crop

I just posted a bunch of other comparison shots here: Some thoughts on the Sigma DP2 Quattro (and comparison with Merrill) | out. living.
Yes I seen it and linked it over DPreview, for example.
But as you will see, nobody will react. You can't say that Quattro is a lemon, this is a sin on DPreview fanazigma forum.
I personally think that you are pretty spot on on your comparisons, that you give full size to compare, that the shoots are well made, and that prove that the Quattro, at leats for me, is just mhe :deadhorse:

For precise colors, there is better bayer gear.

Quentin_Bargate

Hi Rand

Thanks, very kind :p

Images now back. With no warning, Dropbox decided to prevent link sharing on my account due to bandwith usage. I have now removed the "temporary" ban. I guess that might have been the raw file links I posted, but who knows?

G43

Re: Quattro monochrome

I had a Quattro last week for testing and one thing that I haven't seen discussed is the inability to use the blue channel only in SPP for high ISO monochrome shots. Bummer.

I just posted a bunch of other comparison shots here: Some thoughts on the Sigma DP2 Quattro (and comparison with Merrill) | out. living.
Exactly the same result DL concluded until now.
Waiting for his outdoor series, but they will hardly show it any different than your findings.

Thanks Brendan posting this.

1-0 to the M's.

retow

What I have seen so far from the Quattro is excellent, but also seems to be comparable to what a Sony A7r with one of the e-mount primes produces. The Merrill is different enough to keep it around. The Quattro does not get my money although it can make for an "Aston with Quattro inside" :).

ustein

Contributing Editor
Quentin,

what is your take on the 39MP JPEGs from camera? I really don't like to use the Sigma raw converter.

Quentin_Bargate

Quentin,

what is your take on the 39MP JPEGs from camera? I really don't like to use the Sigma raw converter.
Uwe,

Not tried one as yet - as I rarely use jpegs out of camera, although I hear they are much better with the Quattro.

Been setting up the Quattro for use with Nodal Ninja pano head. Not as easy as with the Merrill due to the odd shape.

Will shoot a jpeg or two tomorrow

G43

:)

Has an eye for you Quentin.

The color rainbows in the horse's eyelashes are fat oil reflections of light?