The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP2 Quattro Shots

ustein

Contributing Editor
>From Raw, or in-camera jpeg?

From Raw

>I tried an in-camera S-Hi jpeg and it looked a bit oversharpened. This sample does not look over sharpened.

If you want to use in camera S-Hi you need to sharpening to -10 :). But I gave up any JPEGs in camera today because I got bad banding in skies.

Conclusion: Be patient with Photo Pro :)

octagone

Very informative :)
In these examples rendering quattro is better than merrill.
Photos quattro are more nuances, finer detail, more depth (3D) with better bokeh, while being more realistic (according to the author photos).
For example the first 4 pictures in the photo with sunlight, further details which are more numerous and purposes, quattro, although it is not super easy either, the big difference is mainly terms of color and relief.
Quattro reveals more shades than merrill. Trees, including those in the background and the background are much more relief. It is noticeable by the fact that their enlightened sides ressortes for more than merrill, have felt much more volumes, are those of merrill side dishes.

Photo overcast, the differences are still more marked.
The wealth of colors, especially in the green even more in favor of the relative quattro merrill.
Trees quattro version have better modeled, their volumes are much better made (the merrill they appear side dishes). Whether those in the foreground and the background of those background.

The whole image quattro has a lot more depth, relief.
The bottom and the front plane, are hardly differentiated on the merrill release. No depth, unlike the quattro versions.

The Ute

It sounds to me like many of you are trying really hard to convince yourselves that the Quattro is better than the Merrill.

Most of this is subjective as is any Art form.

I will be receiving my Quattro loaner tomorrow and I will find out for myself.

These "how many Angels can dance on the head of a pin ?" arguments get tedious.

Try the camera for yourself and then decide if it suits you better than a comparable Merrill.

Good shooting.

;)

G43

In these examples rendering quattro is better than merrill.
Photos quattro are more nuances, finer detail, more depth (3D) with better bokeh, while being more realistic (according to the author photos).
For example the first 4 pictures in the photo with sunlight, further details which are more numerous and purposes, quattro, although it is not super easy either, the big difference is mainly terms of color and relief.
Quattro reveals more shades than merrill. Trees, including those in the background and the background are much more relief. It is noticeable by the fact that their enlightened sides ressortes for more than merrill, have felt much more volumes, are those of merrill side dishes.

Photo overcast, the differences are still more marked.
The wealth of colors, especially in the green even more in favor of the relative quattro merrill.
Trees quattro version have better modeled, their volumes are much better made (the merrill they appear side dishes). Whether those in the foreground and the background of those background.

The whole image quattro has a lot more depth, relief.
The bottom and the front plane, are hardly differentiated on the merrill release. No depth, unlike the quattro versions.
I actually like the rendering of the Merrill over the Quattro much more. I see the Q kind of X-TRANS flat rendering if I dare say :eek:
I find the Q more 2-D over the Merrill that shows incredible 3-D rendering.
Colors apart, they seem quite correct with the Q. The M is a bit off. I though find color fidelity less important unless you shoot documentary. B&W images are really off true colors, but well accepted ;)
(May I say that colors perceived on the WWW are screwed up anyhow. Monitors not calibrated and what do we have?)

Anyways... Who likes the one over the other is a taste category question not to be objective answered. Photography aught to be art at the end of the day.

The information gathered in this thread is pretty informative and a good guide to the potential buyer.

Wonder what will be shown around when the Q's are matured?

rjp85

Looking at these comparisons: https://www.flickr.com/photos/prebenr/sets/72157645396604688

The landscapes (Q1, M1, Q2, M2) were taken handheld and at different times. The Quattro looks better, but the Merrill images don't look representative of what I can get out of my Merrill.

M3 is better than Q3.

The flower images are out of focus, and don't tell me anything.

M6 is better than Q6.

M7 is much, much, better than Q7.

Just when I think there's a test that finally shows the Quattro is "better", I see an image from the Merrill that blows me away once again.

I think the Quattro can only get better though. I hope so. Maybe I'll pick up a DP1Q.

Quentin_Bargate

When you look at comparison shots done by someone else, then unless they are tripod mounted raw files, you are judging the photographer and his personal choices as much as the camera. I think what we all wanted was an improved Merrill, but what we have been given is a different camera, and none of us have enough experience with it yet. I will continue to give my Q a thorough work out over the next few days and weeks before I reach a definitive conclusion.

In the meantime, lets see some more shots taken with the Q :thumbup:

G43

You probably right. Europe will be open sea then?

Look at Fuji. Even though they spit out a new camera every second day, they find it worth to satisfy owners of cameras solving bugs even on few generations before the newest newest most fantastic.
I like them for doing that :) But it shows how poorly matured many first gen cameras are.
I blame the shareholders for it. Employees performance bonuses and that sort of quantity oriented values.

ustein

Contributing Editor
Based on 39MP export out of Photo Pro.

I start to like the Quattro. All handheld by the way.

Actually my main issue is Photo Pro. Good developers would make it more usable and at least 10x faster.

raist3d

This is kinda hard to say but those image have a bit of a "step away from Foveon, step in towards Bayer" kinda feel to them. That's not bad quality, but it's just not quite what the Foveon used to be.

That said- try shooting the Quattro in low res mode- that should give you a true X3 color capture.

As for SPP being made faster- agree with you 300% I found out looking at an app on the Mac that it doesn't use the GPU.

- Ricardo

ustein

Contributing Editor
This looks like junk and is junk. But it is part of some art work.

Here is a art work:

This art actually tells a story. The river Leine snakes through Hannover (double n in German). Each of the three cubes contains junk recovered from the Leine in a well defined quite small stretch and at a certain year. There are plaques that list all of it.

ustein

Contributing Editor
Motion blur handheld. The 39MP rendering shows even very minor shake:

This may look ok at this size but it shows motion blur. Yes, the DP2Q deserves a tripod :)

Kofronj

You probably right. Europe will be open sea then?

Look at Fuji. Even though they spit out a new camera every second day, they find it worth to satisfy owners of cameras solving bugs even on few generations before the newest newest most fantastic.
I like them for doing that :) But it shows how poorly matured many first gen cameras are.
I blame the shareholders for it. Employees performance bonuses and that sort of quantity oriented values.
Well, Sigma doesn't have that excuse. Family-owned and family-run company. They do have to feed their employees tho, so some stuff gets pushed out the door a bit early.