Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sigma DP2 Quattro Shots

Quote Originally Posted by mmbma View Post
    I SHOULD NOT HAVE OPENED THIS THREAD. NOOOO! NOW I GOTTA PART WAY WITH 1K
    im afriad thats just step one.....

DP1Q, DP3Q and SD1Q to follow

Post Thanks / Like

about 2 years ago I paid for my DP2m more than 1000 Euro, now its price is about 400.-.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scho View Post
    Just a "context" shot to reference the location of the driftwood in the image posted above.

Original
    Nice picture. Rendering (high-contrast micro-details) might suggest that the photo was made ​​with a DP2 Merrill.
    Although I find the nice photo, I would have preferred less contrast in micro-detail, with a smoother look. Rendering as proposed quattro without adding contrast to micro-details.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by octagone View Post
    Nice picture. Rendering (high-contrast micro-details) might suggest that the photo was made ​​with a DP2 Merrill.
    Although I find the nice photo, I would have preferred less contrast in micro-detail, with a smoother look. Rendering as proposed quattro without adding contrast to micro-details.
    I agree and should have backed off on the detail enhancement in this image.
    Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like

Only one of these I might be interested in is the 1Q if the lens is sufficiently improved over the 1M.

I wish it would widened to a 24mm equivalent.

28mm is not really wide enough for all Landscape work.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree and should have backed off on the detail enhancement in this image.
    Easy to fall too much in love w Topaz Scho.

Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Ute View Post
    Easy to fall too much in love w Topaz Scho.

I know, but I just love what she can do.
    Carl
    Gallery

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

A comparison between the Sigma DP2Q and my Nokia 808 PureView. I resized and cropped the latter to same pixel dimensions as the Q. The 808 is an unlocked cell phone so it will come along with the Q on my trip to Greece and provide both backup imaging to the Q and cell phone duty. The 808 has a very sharp zeiss lens, but as you can see it does have some distortion that I left un-corrected in this shot. It produces a very large 41 MP file.

Sigma DP2Q

Original

Nokia 808 PureView

Original
    Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like

So far : The Nokia has better colors.
    Kind regards - Hulyss - hulyssbowman.com

Post Thanks / Like

I wish they would do a 35mm equiv. version.
    Shaun O'Boyle
    new.oboylephoto.com

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hulyss Bowman View Post
    So far : The Nokia has better colors.
    I processed the Sigma DP2Q raw file in neutral color mode which tends to produce low saturation color.
    Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like

The Nokia shows more contrast detailing.
    The picture quality is very good for a mobile phone.

But the sharpness and details returned are much better with the quattro.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sorry, but the Nokia version is an abomination. Simply awful, with excess noise and distortion. So yes, good for a camera phone, but that's like saying a big Mac with Cheese is good for a burger!
    Quentin Bargate
    Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2017, ”leading individual”, Chambers HNW guide, 2017, Photographer

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Quentin_Bargate View Post
    Sorry, but the Nokia version is an abomination. Simply awful, with excess noise and distortion. So yes, good for a camera phone, but that's like saying a big Mac with Cheese is good for a burger!
    I agree that the Sigma DP2Q produces a superior file, but the Nokia 808, given the limited dynamic range of the small sensor will make a reasonably good image for web use and smaller prints. See this thread for examples.
    Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like

I agree that the Sigma DP2Q produces a superior file, but the Nokia 808, given the limited dynamic range of the small sensor will make a reasonably good image for web use and smaller prints. See this thread for examples.
    I do not want to sound mean, but your logic points to using two cameras when one camera alone can get superior results.
    The Nokia file compared to the DP2Q file looks over-saturated. Are the colors in the Nokia file true to the scene, or are they a little cooked where as the DP2Q file colors are under-saturated/non-processed?
    "Creativity takes courage." ~ Henri Matisse
    Darlene Almeda, photoscapes.com

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by darr View Post
    I do not want to sound mean, but your logic points to using two cameras when one camera alone can get superior results.
    The Nokia file compared to the DP2Q file looks over-saturated. Are the colors in the Nokia file true to the scene, or are they a little cooked where as the DP2Q file colors are under-saturated/non-processed?
    I'm not actually using two cameras. I will carry the Nokia for the cell phone capability and use it's camera if the Q should fail for any reason. Neither is spot on. The Nokia color is actually closer and just slightly more saturated. The Q is undersaturated because I used the neutral color setting. I noted that the Nokia has limited dynamic range, but it does have a built-in ND filter that helps in challenging lighting such as in the gorge image below. This was a tripod mounted shot with ND filter engaged.

Last edited by scho; 14th August 2014 at 17:31.
    Carl
    Gallery
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, that's very good for a cell phone.

Post Thanks / Like

The nokia files are wrong, of course. It is physic. But I bet that in reality, the nokia colors and tonal renditions are more close to reality than the Q. For example the colour of the doors. My point is that generally, bayers have more accurate colors, period.

I was for many years spoiled by 100% pixel sharpness but I'm cured now. This is a bad habit and distract us from the essential.

So far, with SIGMA cameras, You spend more time viewing file at 100% on your computer than printing them or even publishing them

So, to be clear, if you print A3+ only, need resolution, versatility and accurate colors, this sigma device is not what you need. I'll write an article about this to be more clear because I think it is important to wake up, at some level.
    Last edited by Hulyss Bowman; 15th August 2014 at 05:41.

Post Thanks / Like

So, I'm not a friend of diglloyd. I think I should meet him one day to sort this out. But, as far as I know, he kinda trashed the Quattro and IMHO, he is right.

When you own or test a lot of different gear, seriously, you can trash the Quattro. Ok, is good at 100 ISO but DR wise ??? ... little problems wise ???... I do not put me in danger to say that the Quattro is not that optimal even at base ISO. Your lightening should be optimal but the camera is not.

Like every manufacturers, SIGMA is not proofed toward errors and I think the Quattro is an error. When it was announced, I was excited like all SIGMA announcements.

At the end, it just bring some more TECHNICAL comfort like battery and all... but not real improvements on the IQ. It turned different in the bad way, IMHO. So what ?? 3MP more ?? Is that an improvement ?? A new sensor raping the original foveon 1-1-1 concept ?? Is that an improvement ?? No way.

I use SIGMA gear since the first DP1. Back in the days, it was just awesome for its price. Then the DP2, DP2s, DP2x ... just awesome little good camera priced correctly for what it does compared to concurrence.

Then >> Merrill legacy ... wow !!!! what a jump. Ok it was different but damn !! What a visual blast !! I never ever experienced a visual blast that strong.

Now SIGMA tend to sell this product as an evolution, insanely priced at 1k, like it is a major jump over the Merrill ... >>> It is not. It is a joke for anyone who have basis in PP, really. I tested it and returned it to Japan asap without any regret, disappointed.

It is a joke for every sigma lovers, like the Nikkor 58f1.4 is a joke for every lens lovers. It is an error and diglloyd, like many of us, would have wanted something more ... serious ? tangible ?

The Quattro should be priced at 500 US$. No more.

Post Thanks / Like

So, I'm not a friend of diglloyd. I think I should meet him one day to sort this out. But, as far as I know, he kinda trashed the Quattro and IMHO, he is right.

When you own or test a lot of different gear, seriously, you can trash the Quattro. Ok, is good at 100 ISO but DR wise ??? ... little problems wise ???... I do not put me in danger to say that the Quattro is not that optimal even at base ISO. Your lightening should be optimal but the camera is not.

Like every manufacturers, SIGMA is not proofed toward errors and I think the Quattro is an error. When it was announced, I was excited like all SIGMA announcements.

At the end, it just bring some more TECHNICAL comfort like battery and all... but not real improvements on the IQ. It turned different in the bad way, IMHO. So what ?? 3MP more ?? Is that an improvement ?? A new sensor raping the original foveon 1-1-1 concept ?? Is that an improvement ?? No way.

I use SIGMA gear since the first DP1. Back in the days, it was just awesome for its price. Then the DP2, DP2s, DP2x ... just awesome little good camera priced correctly for what it does compared to concurrence.

Then >> Merrill legacy ... wow !!!! what a jump. Ok it was different but damn !! What a visual blast !! I never ever experienced a visual blast that strong.

Now SIGMA tend to sell this product as an evolution, insanely priced at 1k, like it is a major jump over the Merrill ... >>> It is not. It is a joke for anyone who have basis in PP, really. I tested it and returned it to Japan asap without any regret, disappointed.

It is a joke for every sigma lovers, like the Nikkor 58f1.4 is a joke for every lens lovers. It is an error and diglloyd, like many of us, would have wanted something more ... serious ? tangible ?

The Quattro should be priced at 500 US$. No more.
    My brand new DP3M arrives today.

Can you offer a few best practices for achieving maximal image quality ?

Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks in advance.

Hey The Ute ! Yes I will but on my site. So not now. Play a bit with it and wait till I set up my site for helping

Post Thanks / Like

Hey The Ute ! Yes I will but on my site. So not now. Play a bit with it and wait till I set up my site for helping
    Thank you. That will be much appreciated.

I will look for it.

Post Thanks / Like

I have to agree with hulyss ..what a joke sigma..what wear you thinking...the dp1,dp2 and dp3 have that image quality that says wowo wow ..not the q its not the same ...I want better I don't want worse ...really disappointed myself ..I think people who have got the q who already had the merrils I can understand them maybe changing for better battery life usability etc,,but for fine detail the old merrills rule ..plain and simple ..totally priced wrong sigma

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks in advance.

The DP3M is in terms of ergonomics the most disappointing camera compared to the DP2M (and I assume the DP1M).

The size of the lens on a compact is a bit odd. The focussing speed is abysmal. You will spend most of your time hunting back and forth if you are trying to use it for macro work. The macro distance itself is not nearly close enough.

But my, oh my! The images it can produce are drop dead gorgeous. Especially at f3.2 which I think is the sweet spot of the lens.

LouisB
    -----
    My new book "Whitechapel in 50 BUildings", Flikr Stream, www.louisberk.com
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by biglouis View Post
    The DP3M is in terms of ergonomics the most disappointing camera compared to the DP2M (and I assume the DP1M).

The size of the lens on a compact is a bit odd. The focussing speed is abysmal. You will spend most of your time hunting back and forth if you are trying to use it for macro work. The macro distance itself is not nearly close enough.

But my, oh my! The images it can produce are drop dead gorgeous. Especially at f3.2 which I think is the sweet spot of the lens.

LouisB
    Do you have any particular tips such as SPP settings, Camera settings, etc. ?

I tried the Fuji X series and returned it because I realized that the image quality would never measure up to a Merrill.

And I am spoiled by it.

The 3 was the only one I did not have.

And at a little over $500 I could not resist.

This completes my current set.
    Last edited by The Ute; 15th August 2014 at 12:01.

Post Thanks / Like

Of course I am curious too Louis...

It kind of fresh air to hear the DPM's mentioned again with enthusiasm.

Congrats UTE with the DP2M

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G43 View Post

It's a DP3M.

But thanks anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

My bad .. typo

DP3M it is.

I'll get the whole set in 3 weeks

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Just to bring this thread back on topic. Here are 3 shots taken today with the Q on a local gorge walk. It was heavily overcast and dark in the gorge (good for this type of shooting) so all images taken on a small tripod. Processed with SPP 6.05 and saved in S-High mode. Original link will take you to Flickr page where the S-High full size file can be downloaded.

Original

Original

Original
    Carl
    Gallery
    Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Yes.. back to the topic..

Carl... this is some of the better processed (and very nice images BTW) Q files I've seen yet.

At 100% pixel level it looks odd... but we should not pixel peep on a monitor when the images only prove by printing IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

Superb Scho.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Yes.. back to the topic..

Carl... this is some of the better processed (and very nice images BTW) Q files I've seen yet.

At 100% pixel level it looks odd... but we should not pixel peep on a monitor when the images only prove by printing IMO.
    Thank you G43. Yes, S-High at 100% is not perfect. As Quentin noted in one of his earlier posts upsizing with PhotozoomPro5 can eek out a slightly better image at 100%. Although, S-High is still good enough for a large print.
    Superb Scho.
    Thank you TheUte.
    Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like

Prints is a completely different kettle of fish vs monitor peeping.
    I am sure your wonderful images will look tremendously good on prints.
    Since film dia-positive slides vanished more at less, the alternative natural way to look at pictures is prints in an album or on the wall.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice photos.

Post Thanks / Like

There's no need to process a S-HI. It's just not good, not good at all.

Even if you're making a big print, an original size that is sharp and uprezzed in PhotoZoom Pro will always be better.

I tested a downsized S-HI compared to an original, and the original is sharper than the downsized S-HI! S-HI is just useless, and has more artifacts and weird edges. SPP does a horrible job with interpolation, IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds very good rip85.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you have any particular tips such as SPP settings, Camera settings, etc. ?
    I mainly use the camera in A mode and sometimes stray into manual focussing. I mainly use manual focussing on a tripod for macro type work.

As to SPP and this may also apply to the DP2Q, I am now tending to leave the RAW capture as is unless I really think that is requires significant highlight recovery or fill light.

You can see many examples by myself, Huyliss and others in the DP3M thread.

I don't want to troll but I keep reading very poor reviews of the DP2Q. So much so that I am not about to risk GBP899 on one. This is disappointing because if like me a lot of Sigma enthusiasts reject the product then I am not sure Sigma will give us the next generation of compacts which might be ergonomically or IQ-wise the improvements we all seek.

LouisB

Post Thanks / Like

Just to bring this thread back on topic. Here are 3 shots taken today with the Q on a local gorge walk. It was heavily overcast and dark in the gorge (good for this type of shooting) so all images taken on a small tripod. Processed with SPP 6.05 and saved in S-High mode. Original link will take you to Flickr page where the S-High full size file can be downloaded.
    Scho, thanks for taking the time to post these and to provide links to the originals in Flickr. Much appreciated.

Again, I don't want to appear to be trolling but I am surprised, very much so, at what appears to be colour noise in the shadow areas, especially as the EXIF says the iso was 100.

A number of commentators on the web have highlighted the unacceptable noise above iso 400 and I have tended to dismiss the allegations as a lack of capability on their part, especially as I was assuming they were maybe taking JPEGs. Now I am beginning to wonder if they are indeed correct.

I have made very usable exposures at iso400, 640 and even 800 with my DP2M and DP3M. I have always been able to mitigate noise in post processing.

Puzzled and not too sure what to think!

Is it an SPP/firmware issue and do you think the processing will improve over time?

LouisB

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by biglouis View Post
    Scho, thanks for taking the time to post these and to provide links to the originals in Flickr. Much appreciated.

Again, I don't want to appear to be trolling but I am surprised, very much so, at what appears to be colour noise in the shadow areas, especially as the EXIF says the iso was 100.

A number of commentators on the web have highlighted the unacceptable noise above iso 400 and I have tended to dismiss the allegations as a lack of capability on their part, especially as I was assuming they were maybe taking JPEGs. Now I am beginning to wonder if they are indeed correct.

I have made very usable exposures at iso400, 640 and even 800 with my DP2M and DP3M. I have always been able to mitigate noise in post processing.

Puzzled and not too sure what to think!

Is it an SPP/firmware issue and do you think the processing will improve over time?

LouisB
    Louis,

I had noise reduction turned off (both sliders at minimum setting) when processing in spp 6.05 and I made no attempt in post to remove shadow noise. There was an extreme range in lighting in the gorge, from bright, fast moving water to deep dark shadows. I tried to expose for the highlights and just let the shadows go.
    Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like

I totally recognized those scenes, then I quickly saw your avatar. I took some similar images, but with the 5DmII. I did not have my Sigma (Merrill) at the time. I wish I did.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
    I totally recognized those scenes, then I quickly saw your avatar. I took some similar images, but with the 5DmII. I did not have my Sigma (Merrill) at the time. I wish I did.
    I live less than 2 miles from this gorge so I visit frequently to take photos. A lot of tourists there this time of year, but they thin out when the children are back in school. I've shot these scenes with just about every camera in my arsenal over the years, including all 3 merrills. I made some large panels a couple of years ago (20x40 inch gallery wraps) from stitched images taken with the DP3M on a Gigapan 100 that were beautiful and actually better than some of my old 4x5 film images.
    Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like

An update to my earlier comments.
    Manual focus is difficult with this camera, I think it's somewhat better than with the DP2M, because the LCD is improved, but getting sharp critical focus is something of a guessing game, even at 8x. Manual focus becomes necessary for shots like the one attached, because autofocus tends to grab onto the background, even when using a small focus point. I found this to be true with the Merrill too.
    Higher iso's do suck, as we knew, but a bit more usable than the M for must have shots. Write times are quicker, and I can review an image sooner than with the M.
    The jpg's are surprisingly good out of camera, and AWB does a good job.
    Shaun O'Boyle
    new.oboylephoto.com

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soboyle View Post
    An update to my earlier comments.
    Manual focus is difficult with this camera, I think it's somewhat better than with the DP2M, because the LCD is improved, but getting sharp critical focus is something of a guessing game, even at 8x. Manual focus becomes necessary for shots like the one attached, because autofocus tends to grab onto the background, even when using a small focus point. I found this to be true with the Merrill too.
    Higher iso's do suck, as we knew, but a bit more usable than the M for must have shots. Write times are quicker, and I can review an image sooner than with the M.
    The jpg's are surprisingly good out of camera, and AWB does a good job.
    Agree. I wish that they had implemented a more flexible focus point setting. The center cluster of six focus points is not that useful.
    Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like

For Manual Focus, the DP2s / DP2x was just awesome. It was a weel in the back of the camera, far more ergonomic and easy to use (especially for closeup..)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

There is clearly room for a variety of different opions:

1. S-HI is very good. You can get slightly better results using Photozoom Pro, but I simply disagree with rjp85 in this regard. Too much Hyperbole, rjp85 !

2. Similarly, Hulyss, old chap, you seem to have lost your marbles The DP2Q is not a "joke", but a very unusual and highly talented camera with a lot of faults you either can, or cannot, live with. I can live with them because the DP2Q is not my sole camera and I can turn to other cameras when the DP2Q is not optimal.

3. My main issues are low level purple/cyan blotchiness in dark greys and greens in some situations, lack of an optical viewfinder, focus errors (particularly focusing on the background, even using the smaller focus points) and poor high ISO. rubbish SPP software.

But take a little effort and you can get superb medium format quality results, as I have tried to show. I actually like the body shape.

You don't buy a Ferrari and expect it to be good at the weekly supermarket shop.
    Quentin Bargate
    Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2017, ”leading individual”, Chambers HNW guide, 2017, Photographer

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quentin Bargate
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a DP2M a year and half ago to have an alternative hiking camera other than my D800e. WOW! It has been my goto camera ever since. The announcement of the Quattro line got my attention, having become a Merrill cult member, so was hopeful of some good enhancements over the existing lineup. Well, I've been lurking on this thread for a while and I can say - with certainty - that I'm taking a pass on this Sigma interation. Instead I put my $1,000 for the new Sigma 50mm f/1.4 ART lens for my d800e. Should get this lens tomorrow!! I expect that lens to blow the doors off of anything I have and trounce my DP2M (which to date has gone toe-to-toe with my current Nikon 50mm on my d800e).

Sigma, give me a FF mirrorless camera with a real fovean sensor like the Merrills. Then produce a series of fixed lenses with the quality of your DP2M and DP3M and new Art series lenses. OMG!! Please, please, please! And try and make ISO good up to at least 800.

Post Thanks / Like

A detail 100% - 39 Mpix biccubic in photoshop, from a photo of Cho.
    Click on the picture after the current page.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Quentin, my preference for PhotoZoom is because of a test I did a long time ago with a "double size" DP3 file from SPP 5.5.3. It created jaggedy highlights, and wasn't sharp anyway. PhotoZoom didn't cause any of these problems.

I just compared a double size from SPP 5 to SPP6, and 6.05 is a huge improvement. Sharper, and less jaggies on the highlights, but highlights still look interpolated, while PhotoZoom does not. Why not use the best?

We'll have to agree to disagree.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ly4teu8z94...lesizespp5.jpg
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/y5a21fdt99...ublesizePZ.jpg

BTW, has anyone seen this guy's food shots with the Quattro? The detail and sharpness is VERY good in the full size images: https://www.flickr.com/photos/kazua0213/