Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 38 of 38

Thread: Xitek EVF for Sigma

  1. #1
    Senior Member The Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    955
    Post Thanks / Like

    Xitek EVF for Sigma

    Here are a couple of photos of the EVF on the camera.

    Output is 640 x 480.

    Coverage is approx. 97%

    Well made.

    Free at last.

    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    556
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Xitek EVF for Sigma

    How's your impression UTE?

    Would you be able to smack a macro lense up the EVF and capture what's seen inside?

    How does it affect battery duration time?

    What is the kind of display blinder you have mounted?

  3. #3
    Senior Member The Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    955
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Xitek EVF for Sigma

    Quote Originally Posted by G43 View Post
    How's your impression UTE?

    >I need to use it more but it seems fine.

    I will be testing my Merrill vs. a Quattro next week so I'll be able to
    form a more complete impression.

    By the way, I will be able to determine if it works on the Quattro as well.


    Would you be able to smack a macro lense up the EVF and capture what's seen inside?

    > Yes. I just tried it. No problem.

    How does it affect battery duration time?

    > Not sure but I think it would improve it.

    What is the kind of display blinder you have mounted?
    > It's a popup shade made by Delkin.

  4. #4
    Senior Member The Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    955
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Xitek EVF for Sigma

    One thing that I can nitpick is it has no diopter adjustment.

    Not a problem for me as my vision is good.

    I think there are some workarounds for those who might need one.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Malina DZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    S. Florida
    Posts
    549
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Xitek EVF for Sigma

    How does it work out for handheld shooting? That cable port sticking out doesn't create discomfort or does it?

  6. #6
    Senior Member The Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    955
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Xitek EVF for Sigma

    Quote Originally Posted by Malina DZ View Post
    How does it work out for handheld shooting? That cable port sticking out doesn't create discomfort or does it?
    I don't shoot handheld very often but it will not be a problem.

    Actually the EVF might help improve stability.

    I have a click stick which screws into the tripod thread.

    That plus the EVF would seem to be a good handheld combo.

  7. #7
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    2
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Xitek EVF for Sigma

    Looks great. Is the resolution high enough for critical/close up focusing?

  8. #8
    Senior Member The Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    955
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Xitek EVF for Sigma

    Quote Originally Posted by brendans View Post
    Looks great. Is the resolution high enough for critical/close up focusing?
    You be the judge.

    Shot on DP2M w AML-2 Close up lens using EVF.


  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    556
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Xitek EVF for Sigma

    What was your focus point here? Seems more like the leaves behind the flower.

    Is this picture what the EVF shows you?

  10. #10
    Senior Member The Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    955
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Xitek EVF for Sigma

    Quote Originally Posted by G43 View Post
    What was your focus point here?
    The center Stamen area.

    F 3.2

    I have barely used the AMl-2 and EVF so please be merciful.

    I just took a quick shot to satisfy someone's curiosity.

    Yes. That is pretty much what you see in the EVF.


  11. #11
    Senior Member The Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    955
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Xitek EVF for Sigma

    By the way, this is right out of the camera w/o any post processing (which I normally do).

    I was in a hurry.


  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    133
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Xitek EVF for Sigma

    I'm happy for you getting that EVF.
    I clicked all around on "the" website, used Goggle translate and finally got an email address to come up. I emailed that person who did seem to be part of that website. I wrote him in both English and Chinese and have never heard back.
    bummer

  13. #13
    Senior Member The Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    955
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Xitek EVF for Sigma

    Quote Originally Posted by OlderThenDirt View Post
    I'm happy for you getting that EVF.
    I clicked all around on "the" website, used Goggle translate and finally got an email address to come up. I emailed that person who did seem to be part of that website. I wrote him in both English and Chinese and have never heard back.
    bummer
    Thanks. Appreciate that.

    Wasn't sure I was getting it till it showed up at my door.

    Took less than a week.

    See if this helps:


    Overseas guests can contact by e-mail

    [email protected]

    [email protected]

  14. #14
    Senior Member The Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    955
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Xitek EVF for Sigma

    I have been in contact with the maker of the EVF.

    He told me I am first person outside of China to have successfully ordered his EVF.

    He has asked me to help him publicize his invention in America so here goes :

    Sigma DP EVF-in Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com

    You should be able to order it now in English.

    Feel free to pass it on to other interested parties.

    Thanks

  15. #15
    Senior Member darr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    North Florida
    Posts
    980
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Xitek EVF for Sigma

    Quote Originally Posted by The Ute View Post
    I have been in contact with the maker of the EVF.

    He told me I am first person outside of China to have successfully ordered his EVF.

    He has asked me to help him publicize his invention in America so here goes :

    Sigma DP EVF-in Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com

    You should be able to order it now in English.

    Feel free to pass it on to other interested parties.

    Thanks
    Thanks for helping to set this up. I have succesfully ordered!
    "Creativity takes courage." ~ Henri Matisse
    Darlene Almeda, photoscapes.com

  16. #16
    Senior Member The Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    955
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Xitek EVF for Sigma

    My pleasure Darr.

    Hope it meets your needs.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    556
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Xitek EVF for Sigma

    It works.

    Thanks a lot for the help Ute.


  18. #18
    Senior Member The Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    955
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Xitek EVF for Sigma

    Quote Originally Posted by G43 View Post
    It works.

    Thanks a lot for the help Ute.

    You're welcome.

    I hope it helps improve your shooting experience.


  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,173
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Xitek EVF for Sigma

    xitek is a HUGE photo forum website in China with a vibrant medium format community. I go there on a daily basis.

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    142
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Xitek EVF for Sigma

    on that link they want to have 180 USD for this viewfinder. This is very expensive compared to the original price on the chinese website...

  21. #21
    Senior Member darr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    North Florida
    Posts
    980
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Xitek EVF for Sigma

    Quote Originally Posted by 4711 View Post
    on that link they want to have 180 USD for this viewfinder. This is very expensive compared to the original price on the chinese website...
    It is still a good deal IMO since the optical finders cost about $150 USD. The $180 includes shipping.
    "Creativity takes courage." ~ Henri Matisse
    Darlene Almeda, photoscapes.com

  22. #22
    Senior Member The Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    955
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Xitek EVF for Sigma

    Quote Originally Posted by 4711 View Post
    on that link they want to have 180 USD for this viewfinder. This is very expensive compared to the original price on the chinese website...
    Well you can spend a few hours trying to work w Microsoft translator as I did (wasn't easy) and that will save you your bucks, or you can make life easy on yourself and pay a little more but do so in English.

    If I were you I'd pay a little more.


  23. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    142
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Xitek EVF for Sigma

    Hi

    could you please post here the link to the chinese site to order it cheaper? I have a chinese friend and maybe he can help me with this.

    Is the veiwfinder working? what are the pro and cons in your view? Is battery life worse with the EVF? Is framing in very bright sunlight now possible? How is it for faster actions? smearing etc.?

    Thanks

  24. #24
    Senior Member The Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    955
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Xitek EVF for Sigma

    Quote Originally Posted by 4711 View Post
    Hi

    could you please post here the link to the chinese site to order it cheaper? I have a chinese friend and maybe he can help me with this.

    Is the veiwfinder working? what are the pro and cons in your view? Is battery life worse with the EVF? Is framing in very bright sunlight now possible? How is it for faster actions? smearing etc.?

    Thanks

    适马 sigma DP1 2S DP1X DP2X DP1M DP2M DP3M 电子取景器 取景器-淘宝网

    Viewfinder works fine.

    Battery life is improved.

    Can frame in Bright Sunlight.

    Not especially good for Macro.

    I do not do action w a Merrill only Landscape and still life.

    Biggest con is lack of a diopter but I think I have found a workaround.

    2nd biggest nit pick is that the VF and LCD cannot operate together.

    One must be switched on/off to have the other working.

    The Xitek has it's own separate on/off switch.

  25. #25
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    6
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Xitek EVF for Sigma

    Looks great.

  26. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    556
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Xitek EVF for Sigma

    Cool

  27. #27
    Senior Member biglouis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    2,125
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Xitek EVF for Sigma

    Quote Originally Posted by The Ute View Post

    Biggest con is lack of a diopter but I think I have found a workaround.
    Ute

    I'm sure we'd all be interested to know the workaround.

    LouisB
    -----
    My new book "Whitechapel in 50 BUildings", Flikr Stream, www.louisberk.com
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  28. #28
    Senior Member The Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    955
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Xitek EVF for Sigma

    Quote Originally Posted by biglouis View Post
    Ute

    I'm sure we'd all be interested to know the workaround.

    LouisB
    You can buy a magnifying eyepiece for about an additional 20 Dollars.

    Mine is on the way.


  29. #29
    Senior Member darr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    North Florida
    Posts
    980
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Xitek EVF for Sigma

    I just received my Xitek EVF for Sigma via DHL Worldwide Express. That was quick as I ordered it on Sunday 7/20 and today is Monday 7/28. The unit does not come with any batteries and the ones I ordered are due here on Wednesday, so no tryout for me until then . The website states: "the hood can be used Nikon D3100 goggles ..." so I went ahead and ordered a Nikon D3100 diopter for $9.95 US which includes shipping from Adorama via eBay. Hope it works! I will post after I get it up and running.
    "Creativity takes courage." ~ Henri Matisse
    Darlene Almeda, photoscapes.com

  30. #30
    Senior Member The Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    955
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Xitek EVF for Sigma

    Quote Originally Posted by darr View Post
    I just received my Xitek EVF for Sigma via DHL Worldwide Express. That was quick as I ordered it on Sunday 7/20 and today is Monday 7/28. The unit does not come with any batteries and the ones I ordered are due here on Wednesday, so no tryout for me until then . The website states: "the hood can be used Nikon D3100 goggles ..." so I went ahead and ordered a Nikon D3100 diopter for $9.95 US which includes shipping from Adorama via eBay. Hope it works! I will post after I get it up and running.
    How are you liking the EVF ?

    I continue to experiment on improving it.

    But the adjustable diopter I purchased did not improve things.

    In fact, I found w my vision, it only made matters worse.

    I tried the one you ordered too.

    No help either.

    I feel the native resolution is acceptable for most tasks.

    So it looks like I stick w what I've got.

    It still beats the Hoodman for convenience IMO.

    Macro shooters will likely continue to need one though.

  31. #31
    Senior Member darr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    North Florida
    Posts
    980
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Xitek EVF for Sigma

    Quote Originally Posted by The Ute View Post
    How are you liking the EVF ?

    I continue to experiment on improving it.

    But the adjustable diopter I purchased did not improve things.

    In fact, I found w my vision, it only made matters worse.

    I tried the one you ordered too.

    No help either.

    I feel the native resolution is acceptable for most tasks.

    So it looks like I stick w what I've got.

    It still beats the Hoodman for convenience IMO.

    Macro shooters will likely continue to need one though.
    Hi Michael,

    I have not had time to shoot with the EVF, but I have looked through it on all three DPM cameras. It is a step above the Hoodman for sure, although it does not show 100% of the screen. The diopter I ordered does not work on the EVF either, but I can see okay without it. Hopefully I will be able to shoot with the EVF this week. I will post my findings when I do.

    Kind regards,
    Darr
    "Creativity takes courage." ~ Henri Matisse
    Darlene Almeda, photoscapes.com

  32. #32
    Senior Member The Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    955
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Xitek EVF for Sigma

    Quote Originally Posted by darr View Post
    Hi Michael,

    I have not had time to shoot with the EVF, but I have looked through it on all three DPM cameras. It is a step above the Hoodman for sure, although it does not show 100% of the screen. The diopter I ordered does not work on the EVF either, but I can see okay without it. Hopefully I will be able to shoot with the EVF this week. I will post my findings when I do.

    Kind regards,
    Darr
    Be sure to change to "PAL" from "NTSC".

    Go to "Tools" and the video output.

    You change it there.

    That should give you about 97% coverage, or least better than under "NTSC".
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  33. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Berkshires, MA
    Posts
    262
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Xitek EVF for Sigma

    Interested in hearing more about this evf. The Ute mentioned a 640x480 resolution, is that low res enough to manual focus critically?
    My use would be for the Quattro, so I think not compatible yet?
    Shaun O'Boyle
    new.oboylephoto.com

  34. #34
    Senior Member The Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    955
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Xitek EVF for Sigma

    Quote Originally Posted by soboyle View Post
    Interested in hearing more about this evf. The Ute mentioned a 640x480 resolution, is that low res enough to manual focus critically?
    My use would be for the Quattro, so I think not compatible yet?
    It is not good for Macro type work.

    And if you are wedded to the Quattro you are S.O.L.

    It grabs it's info from the video port and as you know the Quattro does not do video.

  35. #35
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Berkshires, MA
    Posts
    262
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Xitek EVF for Sigma

    Thanks for the info. Will look to an optical solution.
    Shaun O'Boyle
    new.oboylephoto.com

  36. #36
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    133
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Xitek EVF for Sigma

    Hi,
    I have one of these EVF's coming soon.
    I saw online that it uses a 16340 3.7V lithium battery.
    In checking on where to get this battery I find some confusion about its size and voltage and recharge or not.
    Can you who have this EVF finder tell me what battery you are using and where to get them?
    Thank you!
    Robert

  37. #37
    Senior Member darr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    North Florida
    Posts
    980
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Xitek EVF for Sigma

    Quote Originally Posted by OlderThenDirt View Post
    Hi,
    I have one of these EVF's coming soon.
    I saw online that it uses a 16340 3.7V lithium battery.
    In checking on where to get this battery I find some confusion about its size and voltage and recharge or not.
    Can you who have this EVF finder tell me what battery you are using and where to get them?
    Thank you!
    Robert
    Hi Robert,
    You should have contacted me because I would have sold you my EVF and batteries cheap!!
    I use my old and trusty Linhof 6x9 variable viewfinder instead these days.

    I bought the LingsFire 16340 1000mah 3.7V Rechargeable Li-Ion Batteries In Black + 16340 Charger (4pcs battery + charger) from Amazon and they work well with the EVF.

    Kind regards,
    Darr

    "Creativity takes courage." ~ Henri Matisse
    Darlene Almeda, photoscapes.com

  38. #38
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    133
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Xitek EVF for Sigma

    Hi Darr,
    Thank you for the help on the batteries.
    In light of Sigma not doing an EVF for the Merrills, I had to do something for myself. I realize it may not be much of a finder but I needed to try.
    If by some chance I like it, maybe I can buy yours for one of the other Merrills.
    I have attached a Delvin shade on the back of the camera with a flip down clear view loupe and it works very well - like looking through a 4x5 view camera except bright and right side up. Still want an EVF though.
    Robert
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •