The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

DPM SPP 5 beginner help

G43

DPM users, please advice me where to find eventual video tutorials to overcome the magenta and green cast using the SPP 5.
Any texted description will help too.

Any experience Iridient is better in this respect?

Thanks in advance.

Malina DZ

SPP5? Everyone most likely upgraded to SPP6 already, including myself.
Anyway, give a try to "Fringe Correction" available in both SPP5 & SPP6. It doesn't remove the artifacts 100%, but does a decent job in minimizing the color cast.

Malina DZ

I thought the final version 6 was not yet ready to boil DPM files SIGMA Photo Pro | Camera | Download | SIGMA GLOBAL VISION
Who can download & update ?
Customers who use SIGMA dp Quattro series, SIGMA DP Merrill Series and SIGMA SD1/ SD1 Merrill cameras.
Note: The RAW data(X3F files) taken with SIGMA DP1 / DP1s / DP1x, SIGMA DP2 / DP2s / DP2x, SIGMA SD9, SIGMA SD10, SIGMA SD14 and SIGMA SD15 are not supported by SIGMA Photo Pro 6.0. Please use SIGMA Photo Pro 5.5.3 until the release of SIGMA Photo Pro 6.1.0 which will support all models.

darr

I thought the final version 6 was not yet ready to boil DPM files SIGMA Photo Pro | Camera | Download | SIGMA GLOBAL VISION
You will need to save SPP 5x for any files that you previously processed. SPP 6 at this time will not let you edit files that were previously processed in SPP 5x.

My process works like this:
1) I make a folder for my images in Lightroom (LR).
2) I upload all X3F files into the folder via the WIN Computer interface (outside of LR).
3) I open SPP, locate the folder with the X3F files, and use the following settings that will process and save the TIF files back into the original folder:

4) I then open LR, click on the folder and tell it to sync. I import all files and LR will ignore the X3F it does not support. I walk away as it takes some time for SPP to do its stuff.
5) I do ~80% of my editing in LR and 20% in Photoshop.

I use WIN 7 and Mac machines. I found SPP is stable on my WIN, but crashes on my Mac, so for X3F files, it is WIN for me.

If SPP is ever rebuilt as a professional program, I may do more with it, but I do not have a lot of time when editing my files and have chosen to stay with what I am accustomed to. I am new to the Sigma camera line this year, but have been a commercial photographer since the early 80s. I shoot a variety of cameras including medium format digital and came to the Sigma DPMx series after searching for a lightweight alternative that has good color possibilities and resolution; I wanted the best in a small package for on-foot shooting. After researching the Sigma files on this site and others (a special thank you to Quentin Bargate, The Ute, Hulyss Bowman and others), I decided to buy the three DPMs and have a SD1 rental arriving on Monday that I will test in the studio for macro work. I love the possibilities the Foveon sensor provides,and hope Sigma will eventually prioritize development into SPP and available options for the Foveon cameras. I myself would love to see a full frame with an EVF. :)

Kind regards,
Darr

G43

Thanks

I would likely use Lightroom as you Darr... I need the gradients as with ACR. ACR will not open a tiff file and you are left with Photoshop.
Lightroom uses the same global machine as ACR. Doing WB eyedropper, global settings, channel mixer, crop, and vignetting issues etc etc..

Photoshop is best for the sequential work with distortion, skew, curves, color and hue tool, dodge and burn tool.

G43

@darr

Any specific reason why saving in ProPhoto RGB?
Does any monitor or printer exceed the color space of RGB?

darr

@darr

Any specific reason why saving in ProPhoto RGB?
Does any monitor or printer exceed the color space of RGB?
The native color space for Adobe Camera Raw and Photoshop is ProPhoto RGB. Lightroom uses Melissa RGB which uses ProPhoto RGB chromatisity values working in linear gamma. The best use of ProPhoto is to use it within your workflow to preserve the largest amount of color in your images. As far as specific monitors and printers, I cannot say. Enclosed is an Adobe paper that explains Lightroom's RGB colorspace if interested.

View attachment 81895