The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

SIGMA SD1 shots

scho

Mini Orchids. SD1 Merrill with 100-400 5-6.3 DG lens mounted on tripod with Haoge LMR-SM140 Lens Collar. 400mm f/11 ISO 800. I just couldn't come up with a good approach to photograph this plant. Too many small blossoms at different angles. I might try focus stacking or just macro shots of individual blossoms.

scho

Squirrels are digging into their winter stash of acorns now. Handheld shot through window with sd1 Merrill and 100-400 @ 400mm. Difficult and not very good salvage of a badly underexposed image. Exported blue layer with Rawdigger and further processing in Luminar 4.

scho

Goldfinch on thistle seed feeder. Handheld snap with the SD1 Merrill 100-400 @ 400mm.

scho

Improvised cocktail table outside the Farmers Market at Steamboat Landing on Cayuga Inlet. Sigma SD1 Merrill with 30/1.4 Art lens. Any dendrologists care to tell us how old this tree was? Click for a larger view.

bensonga

Re overall performance and IQ, would you recommend the Sigma 100-400 as general purpose long tele Carl? I’m considering it to use on my sd Quattro.

Gary

scho

Re overall performance and IQ, would you recommend the Sigma 100-400 as general purpose long tele Carl? I’m considering it to use on my sd Quattro.

Gary
Hi Gary,

I've only had the 100-400 a short while, but so far I've been quite satisfied with the performance and image quality from this lens. It is relatively light weight, but solid and well constructed so easy to carry around for hand held shooting. I just purchased another SDQH that I previously owned and regrettably sold 3 years ago. I will see how the 100-400 performs on the quattro and let you know.

scho

Hi Gary,

I've only had the 100-400 a short while, but so far I've been quite satisfied with the performance and image quality from this lens. It is relatively light weight, but solid and well constructed so easy to carry around for hand held shooting. I just purchased another SDQH that I previously owned and regrettably sold 3 years ago. I will see how the 100-400 performs on the quattro and let you know.
Horrible day for lens testing with mixed sleet and pouring rain, but took a few shots indoors through windows. Put the Sigma 100-400 C DG lens on the SDQH. These were shot in DNG mode and imported directly into Lightroom for processing.

Tripod mounted
ISO 100 168mm f/11

Handheld
ISO 800 400mm f/6.3

bensonga

Hi Carl. Thanks for sharing your photos and thoughts re the Sigma 100-400 lens. I ordered one from Adorama (it was in stock) and the Haoge lens collar from Amazon yesterday. The lens is on sale now for $609 USD (the $190 rebate expires tomorrow). Quite a good price. I'm looking forward to trying it on my sd Quattro.

Imaging Resource did a very thorough review of the lens here:
https://www.imaging-resource.com/lenses/sigma/100-400mm-f5-6.3-dg-os-hsm-contemporary/review/

Gary

bensonga

As usual, the biggest problem I have now when purchasing older and unusual cameras is getting new batteries for them. Neither B&H Photo, Adorama, Amazon or any other online retailer I've found will ship lithium-ion camera batteries to Alaska anymore. My local camera shop can usually get them if the OEM still has them available or if a 3rd party makes them. Since the Sigma factory and distribution is currently closed, it could be a couple months before I get a couple of spare OEM batteries. I ordered the PG-31 power grip from B&H for the camera (I was surprised they had it in stock) so it will be good to have those extra batteries for the grip (some day).

Gary

scho

As usual, the biggest problem I have now when purchasing older and unusual cameras is getting new batteries for them. Neither B&H Photo, Adorama, Amazon or any other online retailer I've found will ship lithium-ion camera batteries to Alaska anymore. My local camera shop can usually get them if the OEM still has them available or if a 3rd party makes them. Since the Sigma factory and distribution is currently closed, it could be a couple months before I get a couple of spare OEM batteries. I ordered the PG-31 power grip from B&H for the camera (I was surprised they had it in stock) so it will be good to have those extra batteries for the grip (some day).

Gary
Hi Gary,

Did you try Wasabi batteries from Blue Nook that sells via Amazon? I use these for my sd 1m

bensonga

Thank you Carl! I don't know how I overlooked those. Some of the other 3rd party batteries I had tried to order on Amazon would not ship to Alaska. I just ordered the Wasabi batteries and charger in your link and the order went through, so it looks like I will be all set now.

The SD1M arrived today. :D The camera is in perfect condition. I think it may be from one of the later production runs since it has the BC-22 charger and BP-22 battery. My understanding is that both the original BP-21 and BP-22 batteries will work fine. I will certainly appreciate the optical viewfinder of the SD1M and larger battery vs using the DP1/2/3 Merrill LCD with very small batteries. The PG-31 power grip should ship from B&H Photo tomorrow.

I put the 30/1.4 DG DN lens on it and took a few quick test shots this afternoon. Already made a couple of 13x19 inch prints from them. The results, as expected, are excellent. I will try to get some more interesting photos tomorrow if the weather cooperates.

Gary

Last edited:

bensonga

In general, Anchorage is not a very colorful city, especially in the winter. Spring is just beginning here, so it mostly looks like late winter. When I want to test a camera for color rendering/capture at this time of the year this is my goto place. A mural on the side of Pete's Smoke Shop. I made some 13x19 prints of these two images. Very happy with the results. :thumbs:

Gary

SD1M, 30/1.4 DC DN lens. ISO 100. Raw files converted with SPP 6.7. Minor adjustments in PS.

scho

Having a little indoor fun with the SD1M and 30mm f/1.4 on tripod shooting houseplants. Here is an orchid shot that had a busy background so I did a cut-out using the inPIXIO app to isolate the orchid and then overlay it on a black background in Photoshop. There was a little stinkbug hiding under the blossom to the far left that I didn't notice until I processed the image.

bensonga

Love it! :thumbs:
I wish my image processing knowledge and skills were advanced enough to create images like this Carl.

Gary

scho

Love it! :thumbs:
I wish my image processing knowledge and skills were advanced enough to create images like this Carl.

Gary
Thanks Gary. This one was quite easy using the inPIXIO app. Just open your image in the app select the subject that you want to isolate with a couple of clicks using the background erase and subject select tools and done. There is also a photo montage button with various canned backgrounds to use with your cut-out so the whole project could be done in the cut-out module of the app.

Screen shot of original image in photo cutter at start of process. I just drew a single curved line through the orchids with the green marker for keep items and it selected what I wanted perfectly with no other editing.

Last edited:

bensonga

I am really enjoying the SD1 Merrill. The output is terrific and in bright outdoor light (as on this day) I prefer shooting with its optical viewfinder vs the EVF on the sd Quattro.

Gary

SD1M, 70/2.8 ART macro. X3F monochrome conversion in SPP 6.7.2

Last edited:

scho

A few walkabout shots with the SD1M and 17-50 at the farmers market on Cayuga Inlet.

bensonga

Another with the 70mm ART macro lens. Perhaps someday I'll use it for a real macro shot.

I decided to make a 11x17 inch print of it tonight. While searching through my boxes of paper for the right size I found a box of Arches Infinity Textured Finish 230 gsm matte (made in France) that must be 10+ years old. Forgot I even had it. Looks good. :)

Last edited:

scho

Another with the 70mm ART macro lens. Perhaps someday I'll use it for a real macro shot.

I decided to make a 11x17 inch print of it tonight. While searching through my boxes of paper for the right size I found a box of Arches Infinity Textured Finish 230 gsm matte (made in France) that must be 10+ years old. Forgot I even had it. Looks good. :)

Very nice and also your previous monochrome. I also use my 70 for digitizing old slides and negatives on a copy stand with LCD tablet on base.