The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Lytro Illum

gerald.d

Anyone else got one yet?

Mine arrived this week - serial number 100, so I'm guessing not many out there yet.

It really is a quite extraordinary camera. To my mind, there is absolutely no doubt whatsoever that lightfield photography is the future. One day ALL cameras will be made this way.

For those not familiar with the Illum, you can find more details on the Lytro website (www.lytro.com).

If you want to only output a still image, you're limited to around 4 megapixels (2450 x 1634 to be precise). The RAW file though comes in at 55MB.

You can focus, adjust aperture - effecting depth of field only, with no exposure impact - and tilt AFTER having taken the shot.

The camera's lens is (35mm equivalent) 30mm to 250mm zoom, with a constant f/2.0 aperture througout. In post, the aperture can be adjusted to anywhere between f/1.0 and f/16.

Samples all from the same image. No apologies - this camera is great for cat photos :D

(please ignore the blown highlights)

Focused on the back wall at f/2.0 -

Focused on the right eye at f/2.0 -

Focused on the right eye at f/1.0 -

Focused on the right eye at f/1.0 with some tilt applied to bring the left eye also into focus -

Focused on the right eye at f/16 -

You can interact with the photo and change the focus yourself here - https://pictures.lytro.com/gerald/pictures/844313

Kind regards,

Gerald.

Martin S

Have been following for a long time. Seems interesting, but only for shots with foreground interest, and background-midground subject. Otherwise, the low resolution limits shots with just 1 plane (like we normally shoot). It forces you to think, and shoot differently.

Not a bad idea.

Costly too!!

Martin

gerald.d

Have to admit I'm rather surprised by the lack of response/interest shown in this camera here.

Perhaps the wrong crowd? Perhaps because of my crappy cat pics? :D

I do genuinely believe that this is the future of photography. Early days, sure. But to me, this is as big as the step from film to digital.

Kind regards,

Gerald.

Michiel Schierbeek

Long time ago I asked here in a new thread if someone was interested or was going to buy this special camera. Nobody reacted. Fear?!
Could become a dull world without the fuzz of all those special lenses. No need for them anymore when this has grown to perfection.

gerald.d

Hi Ed -

Yup - fully appreciate that. 4MP isn't of any use I guess for the majority of people on these forums. It's fine for web of course, not so much for printing. However, it is worth remembering that Lytro's first camera was only released in 2012. That had a 2D resolution equivalent of just 1MP.

Not many companies out there who have increased the resolution of their cameras by 4x in just one iteration and 2 years, so who knows what the capability of their 3rd generation will be.

I need to find the time to get out and shoot something other than my cat. Perhaps next I should do a portrait at night shot at 250mm and f/2.0, and then output it at f/1.0 :)

Hi Michiel -

I think right now it's a camera that serves to show the massive potential game-changer that lightfield photography will bring. Those of us who have invested thousands in traditional digital photography gear probably have a few more years use out of it, but I fully expect cameras based on lightfield technology to overtake regular digital cameras within a decade.

It may not be very practical to be in there at the start, but it sure is fun!

Kind regards,

Gerald.

Martin S

I would like to experiment with this camera, but the cost is hi. I realize the limited potential as a 2D camera which limits it further. The 3D potential is huge, and quite interesting.

We just have to shoot differently.

I too feel that it is the future.

Let's see some shots.

Martin

erudolph

Hi Gerald, I agree with you, that Lytra has made amazing progress. The new camera is a camera, whereas the original version looked like a souvenir slide viewer. I watched all of Lytra's training videos yesterday (with some skimming and skipping). I am reminded of how much fun we had with the disposable 3-D analog cameras.

raist3d

Have to admit I'm rather surprised by the lack of response/interest shown in this camera here.

Perhaps the wrong crowd? Perhaps because of my crappy cat pics? :D

I do genuinely believe that this is the future of photography. Early days, sure. But to me, this is as big as the step from film to digital.

Kind regards,

Gerald.
Maybe because not everyone thinks this is the future of photography. Maybe because some are more focused in their photography than the tools-tech. That's what matters in the end anyway.

I see some merit but this is starting to come in, at a point in time where you get very responsive cameras, with far higher megapixel count and DR.

Personally unless the Camera interface is very well done regarding giving you a focus point from the get go as a default with an Aperture/DOF, in a world where time is money, I think a photographer that can get what they want with current technology will out-compete the one using this as it's another post process step.

This tech does not scale fast if what I heard from other people who know about graphics and general camera design are correct (talking about resolution). We'll see.

- Ricardo

raist3d

Hi Ed -

Yup - fully appreciate that. 4MP isn't of any use I guess for the majority of people on these forums. It's fine for web of course, not so much for printing. However, it is worth remembering that Lytro's first camera was only released in 2012. That had a 2D resolution equivalent of just 1MP.
But the point is, many people can rightfully say "ok, cool, call us when you get to 12 MP at least."

Not many companies out there who have increased the resolution of their cameras by 4x in just one iteration and 2 years, so who knows what the capability of their 3rd generation will be.
But that doesn't matter. i.e. Why spend money on something "not ready yet" (from the point of view of several whose current cameras do what they need).

I need to find the time to get out and shoot something other than my cat. Perhaps next I should do a portrait at night shot at 250mm and f/2.0, and then output it at f/1.0 :)

Hi Michiel -

I think right now it's a camera that serves to show the massive potential game-changer that lightfield photography will bring. Those of us who have invested thousands in traditional digital photography gear probably have a few more years use out of it, but I fully expect cameras based on lightfield technology to overtake regular digital cameras within a decade.
Only if it scales. The other technologies are not standing still either.

Kind regards,

Gerald.
And very expensive and just not ready for many uses. I am not trying to say this from the point of view of "killing your fun"- but I see you wrote a few times you are surprised at the lack of interest, and I am basically trying to explain a perspective that can explain why.

- Ricardo

raist3d

Long time ago I asked here in a new thread if someone was interested or was going to buy this special camera. Nobody reacted. Fear?!
Why does it have to be fear? Couldn't it be simply be that it's too expensive for what it pragmatically does for a lot of those who want to create photographs? (note that I am not saying all).

Could become a dull world without the fuzz of all those special lenses. No need for them anymore when this has grown to perfection.
Sure. When that happens, maybe you will see more interest. And "less fear" :)

- Ricardo

Michiel Schierbeek

Why does it have to be fear? Couldn't it be simply be that it's too expensive for what it pragmatically does for a lot of those who want to create photographs? (note that I am not saying all).

Sure. When that happens, maybe you will see more interest. And "less fear" :)

- Ricardo
Fear is a big word, I admit.
Mostly all revolutionary and new developments are expensive and if everybody remains waiting till it's perfect it will not have a bright future.

I am curious but I also am not willing yet to spend this amount at this stage.
Besides I like the different character between lenses.
But I am always curious and feel sympathy for those who develop and dare to create new revolutionary products.

gerald.d

Sorry, been crazy busy with the day job and not been able to make the time to do any personal stuff (not shot a single personal photo since the ones in this post).

Will be another couple of weeks.

Kind regards,

Gerald.

Martin S

That's fine. Take ur time. The Illium seems to require a little different technique.(Foreground vs. mid-ground or background).

So it seems that each shot needs more planning.

Seems like a bit of a learning curve.

Martin

mmbma

very cool camera indeed. agree with the 4mp limitation comments.

For me it's hard to find a use for this camera. looks like DOF manupilation in POST is the only unique application but I can already do that with a tradition camera by planning the shot before hand.

iiiNelson

Hi Ed -

Hi Michiel -

Kind regards,

Gerald.
I agree that this camera is very interesting and if nothing else for the technology. As for it being the future - I don't know but it has potential to have a place at the table at the very least. As far as purchasing... I would if I just had money burning hole in my pocket but the reality is that it's too limiting for the price for most still.

My belief is that once they get around the 10-20 megapixel equivalents and a $1000 price with similar specs in regards to the lens then light field cameras may catch on. It also may take some larger companies to adopt the technology as well (on the hardware and software side) to make it more affordable but I don't see them doing that without it adopting their native lens mounts either.

pingu666

I always thought a hotshoe one would be good, triggered by the hotshoe, it would give you focus insurance, and with advanced zoom flash emulation, can copy focal length too