Site Sponsors

Thread: One of the weirdest just got weirder

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

One of the weirdest just got weirder

I've always looked upon viewfinders that have to be attached to a camera that doesn't feature one to start with a hassle. That was those tiny, little EVF things. Sigma just brought the attachable viewfinder hassle to another stratosphere...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: One of the weirdest just got weirder

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    I've always looked upon viewfinders that have to be attached to a camera that doesn't feature one to start with a hassle. That was those tiny, little EVF things. Sigma just brought the attachable viewfinder hassle to another stratosphere...

This was already started on another thread ( DP1Q Announcement).

You might try reading it next time.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Jorgen,

For a person on a limited budget, I think the Sigma Quattro's (and the Merrills) offer near MF IQ. While this VF attachment does make the whole thing look a behemoth I can still imagine some dedicated landscaper putting the thing on a tripod and getting a detailed LCD image with all data, and at a fraction of the cost of say a Blad with one lens and being a similar size.

Perhaps someone with poor eyesight could use it as a solution also. A good thing is it breaks down to a different package to carry.

I do lament that any HQ fixed lens camera begs to have a similarly fixed HQ OVF built in, With some data from the camera overlayed in the image. Much the same as I had with my Contax T3.

EVF seems to have "won"

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Ute View Post
    This was already started on another thread ( DP1Q Announcement).

You might try reading it next time.

I'm supposed to read also? Mostly, I have problems enough writing
    Things I sell: https://www.shutterstock.com/g/epixx?language=en
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    Hi Jorgen,

For a person on a limited budget, I think the Sigma Quattro's (and the Merrills) offer near MF IQ. While this VF attachment does make the whole thing look a behemoth I can still imagine some dedicated landscaper putting the thing on a tripod and getting a detailed LCD image with all data, and at a fraction of the cost of say a Blad with one lens and being a similar size.

Perhaps someone with poor eyesight could use it as a solution also. A good thing is it breaks down to a different package to carry.

I do lament that any HQ fixed lens camera begs to have a similarly fixed HQ OVF built in, With some data from the camera overlayed in the image. Much the same as I had with my Contax T3.

EVF seems to have "won"
    I'm very tempted by these cameras, but I have so many cameras and not enough time

I guess three bodies and one "viewfinder" wouldn't take up too much space, would it?

Jørgen

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    Hi Jorgen,

EVF seems to have "won"
    They have definitely succeeded in taking a modern, sleek camera and turning it into a large monstrosity that way.

How much simpler it would have been to just set it up for a Hot shoe mounted
    EVF.

My bet is it wouldn't cost anymore than that LCD magnifier.

That said, the results are what make me keep coming back so I put up with the horrible ergonomics, and other inconveniences.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I am looking forward to trying it out. I currently use the Merrill DP1, 2 and 3 and prefer to use them with a Hoodman Loupe even though I have the aftermarket EVF. Maybe it is my foundation in 4x5" camera work, but I prefer looking through the loupe over the EVF. If someone has never tried the Merrill line of cameras in as far as trying to get the maximum amount of resolution in the smallest package, then I do not think they would understand why some photographers use these cameras even though we have other options. My other options include shooting a ALPA Max with superb lenses, but I have a need for a smaller tool with as much resolution as possible and after trying the Merrill line, I sold off all my Nikon gear. Different strokes for different folks, but I understand why Sigma FINALLY gave us ground glass viewers this option.
    "Creativity takes courage." ~ Henri Matisse
    Darlene Almeda, photoscapes.com

Post Thanks / Like

LCD viewfinders are far, far better than any EVF.

This finder can be easily taken off and reattached whenever you want.

I use a Hoodman LCD finder on my DP2M and DP3M. It's great, but this Sigma version looks much, much better, and probably has better optics.

The great thing about the Hoodman is that it can be used on any camera you want.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rjp85 View Post
    LCD viewfinders are far, far better than any EVF.

This finder can be easily taken off and reattached whenever you want.

I use a Hoodman LCD finder on my DP2M and DP3M. It's great, but this Sigma version looks much, much better, and probably has better optics.

The great thing about the Hoodman is that it can be used on any camera you want.

The issue with these finders is their size not their capability.

I use one but I would love a good EVF.