Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 21 of 21

Thread: Quattro v Merrill threads

  1. #1
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    16
    Post Thanks / Like

    Quattro v Merrill threads

    Looking back at the Sigma DP2 Merrill shots thread, which was started by Quentin Bargate in August 2012 and which I followed closely, there doesn't seem to be anywhere near the same degree of "chatter" about the Quattro shots thread. Over a similar time-frame the Merrill thread had produced three times the number of pages - is the Quattro that much less inspiring? I ask because I have both DP1M and DP2M's and was certainly enthusiastic about the Quattro at launch.
    Last edited by digi2ap; 9th October 2014 at 03:03. Reason: grammar

  2. #2
    Senior Member Malina DZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    S. Florida
    Posts
    549
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Quattro v Merrill threads

    Quote Originally Posted by digi2ap View Post
    I ask because I have both DP1M and DP2M's and was certainly enthusiastic about the Quattro at launch.
    I'm sure every DP M owner was excited at Quattro launch. Then we saw multiple RAW samples, some even tried the camera themselves, and excitement dissipated (for me at least). Opinions have already been expressed in multiple threads here.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  3. #3
    Senior Member The Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    955
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Quattro v Merrill threads

    I was one of those who tried one to compare against the Merrill.

    I think the two are close. I think the preference comes down to one's taste.

    For me the DP2 Merrill's look suits me better.

    Quentin has experimented w the DP2Q and has produced some incredible images.

    The newest firmware has also improved things in certain areas for the Q.

    I am getting ready to purchase a DP1Q because of the lens revision.

  4. #4
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    16
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Quattro v Merrill threads

    I still have hope for the Quattro. I had the earlier generation DP's before the Merrills and it took me about a year to get used to the change That went hand in hand with improvements to SPP.

  5. #5
    Senior Member The Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    955
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Quattro v Merrill threads

    The DP1Q will be the only Quattro I will purchase.

    Again, mainly for the lens upgrade.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    133
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Quattro v Merrill threads

    I want Sigma to succeed and make money because I want them to make cameras. I just want them to succeed back to a more DPx Merrill kind of camera and add a EVF. If they lose too much on the Quattro I'm afraid they may give up.
    Robert

  7. #7
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    16
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Quattro v Merrill threads

    Quote Originally Posted by OlderThenDirt View Post
    I want Sigma to succeed and make money because I want them to make cameras. I just want them to succeed back to a more DPx Merrill kind of camera and add a EVF. If they lose too much on the Quattro I'm afraid they may give up.
    Robert
    I think that given the short lifecycle of the DP Merrill's (compared to the earlier DP/S/X etc) I would have liked to see the bodies updated with an EVF and other functional improvements as a next step. Like you, I want Sigma to succeed not least as I find it really difficult to photograph with any other camera!!
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  8. #8
    Senior Member The Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    955
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Quattro v Merrill threads

    "I find it really difficult to photograph with any other camera!!"

    Understandable.

    Carrying MF quality in your shirt pocket is pretty hard to resist.

    I've been hooked for quite some time.

    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

  9. #9
    Senior Member The Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    955
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Quattro v Merrill threads

    Darr-

    I'm likely going to be selling some of my gear and accessories.

    Please let me know if you are looking for anything in particular to add to your collection.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Tim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Adelaide, SA
    Posts
    1,040
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Quattro v Merrill threads

    I have hope for the Quattro's replacement --

    Inbuilt OVF with data in viewfinder
    Weather sealed
    Larger sensor but less pixels (Sony A7s)
    Smaller camera, conventional design - Merrill about right
    Bigger gap in versions 21mm, 45mm, 90mm (equivalent to film) versions
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  11. #11
    Senior Member Hulyss Bowman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,085
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Quattro v Merrill threads

    I do not put hope in SIGMA but what Canon seems to cook sound cool.
    Kind regards - Hulyss - hulyssbowman.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  12. #12
    Senior Member darr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    North Florida
    Posts
    981
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Quattro v Merrill threads

    Quote Originally Posted by The Ute View Post
    Darr-

    I'm likely going to be selling some of my gear and accessories.

    Please let me know if you are looking for anything in particular to add to your collection.

    I need to sell some accessories myself!
    "Creativity takes courage." ~ Henri Matisse
    Darlene Almeda, photoscapes.com

  13. #13
    Senior Member Tim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Adelaide, SA
    Posts
    1,040
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Quattro v Merrill threads

    I should also really add.

    Please Sigma, in the Quattro's replacement take us back to the "True Foveon" sensor

    We don't need this half baked Bayer/Foveon - Boveon? or Fayer?

  14. #14
    Senior Member Tim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Adelaide, SA
    Posts
    1,040
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Quattro v Merrill threads

    Quote Originally Posted by Hulyss Bowman View Post
    I do not put hope in SIGMA but what Canon seems to cook sound cool.
    Sounds interesting, got some good links?

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    415
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Quattro v Merrill threads

    Quote Originally Posted by Hulyss Bowman View Post
    I do not put hope in SIGMA but what Canon seems to cook sound cool.
    or Scientists design an imaging system capable of obtaining 12 times more information than the human eye
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    33
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Quattro v Merrill threads

    I bought another Merrill when I read reviews and saw shots of the Quattro, which to me lost that Foveon edge, 3D quality to them. You can read DigiLloyd's reviews if you subscribe to the Mirrorless section fro one year.

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    133
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Quattro v Merrill threads

    A couple of interesting stories about getting in to the DP Merrills.
    1) I had heard a little bit about the Merrills, but not really very much. They were starting to come down in price as the Quattro was being introduced so I bought one just to try it out. So I had no real heavy bias towards the Merrills when I started. I casually shot a few test shots with a Nikon, a Sony RX1 and the DP2- no big deal I thought. I was looking through the test files and was literally struck by the files from the DP2. Those files were different. I couldn't really put my finger on it but they were just really different. I now have all three Merrialls and a backup. Innocence = bliss.
    2) I read the other day a comment by some person on a blog. He was talking about the Sigma Merrill cameras. He was hesitant due to the difficulty in explaining. He said that it was curious how one could read about the Merrills and not quite "get it" until you try for yourself and see the results. This is what I've been saying to friends - even seeing files on a website does not quite do it - gotta see the files on your computer. I can;t think of any other digital camera that I would want.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    415
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Quattro v Merrill threads

    Quote Originally Posted by OlderThenDirt View Post
    ...gotta see the files on your computer....
    and see large prints; I print up to 60X90 cm (24x36") and can look at the prints from 20cm and see best quality and lot of details.

  19. #19
    Senior Member The Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    955
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Quattro v Merrill threads

    Quote Originally Posted by OlderThenDirt View Post
    A couple of interesting stories about getting in to the DP Merrills.
    1) I had heard a little bit about the Merrills, but not really very much. They were starting to come down in price as the Quattro was being introduced so I bought one just to try it out. So I had no real heavy bias towards the Merrills when I started. I casually shot a few test shots with a Nikon, a Sony RX1 and the DP2- no big deal I thought. I was looking through the test files and was literally struck by the files from the DP2. Those files were different. I couldn't really put my finger on it but they were just really different. I now have all three Merrialls and a backup. Innocence = bliss.
    2) I read the other day a comment by some person on a blog. He was talking about the Sigma Merrill cameras. He was hesitant due to the difficulty in explaining. He said that it was curious how one could read about the Merrills and not quite "get it" until you try for yourself and see the results. This is what I've been saying to friends - even seeing files on a website does not quite do it - gotta see the files on your computer. I can;t think of any other digital camera that I would want.
    They are a screaming bargain at around $500 dollars.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  20. #20
    Senior Member biglouis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    2,127
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Quattro v Merrill threads

    I too hope that Sigma are not put off cameras by what appears to be a mixed reception to the Quattro. It is a shame that they did not just update the DPxM bodies with an EVF and maybe improved lens design.

    I might be tempted into a DP1Q but I am hanging on to my DP2M and DP3M (especially) until such time as Sigma really do create something equally special.

    LouisB
    -----
    My new book "Whitechapel in 50 BUildings", Flikr Stream, www.louisberk.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  21. #21
    Senior Member Quentin_Bargate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Saffron Walden, UK
    Posts
    1,983
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    58

    Re: Quattro v Merrill threads

    Both the Merrills and the Quattros are flawed. The issues with the Quattros are in my opinion more serious such as the false colour artifacts between backlit tree branches and reduced highlight recovery, both of which limit the appeal for landscape photographers. On these issues I am awaiting feedback on sample images from a relevant source... Nonetheless, in good light the Quattros are capable of superb performance.

    So keep your Merrills - I certainly am. I believe the current iteration of Quattros will not be long lived if the issues cannot be addressed in a firmware / software update.
    Quentin Bargate
    Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2017, ”leading individual”, Chambers HNW guide, 2017, Photographer
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •