The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP1 Quattro Shots

Quentin_Bargate

There is some new high quality street art in and around Shoreditch and Spitalfields in East London. This is a 4 image stitched pano taken handheld with the DP1Q in Hanbury Street, E1.

Quentin_Bargate

I think that the comparative lack of action on this forum speaks volumes for the popularity (or not) of the DP1Q. I wonder how many have been sold. Oddly, I have had a little more success recently, by exposing more to the left (dialling in -.3 or -.7 of a stop exposure), but the Merrill's are still more flexible in most situations.

The Ute

I think that the comparative lack of action on this forum speaks volumes for the popularity (or not) of the DP1Q. I wonder how many have been sold. Oddly, I have had a little more success recently, by exposing more to the left (dialling in -.3 or -.7 of a stop exposure), but the Merrill's are still more flexible in most situations.
Quentin-

Unfortunately (IMO), Sigma took a wrong turn w the DPQ line. A step backwards
rather than forward.
I hardly use my Sigma these days although I did retain a DP1M.
It's pity a really because the Foveon look is so special.
These days I am much more committed to Sony.
I am eagerly awaiting the new A7rII, and have pre-ordered the Batis 25mm.
That combo should be off-the-charts good.
I long for a Merrill improvement.

Quentin_Bargate

Quentin-

Unfortunately (IMO), Sigma took a wrong turn w the DPQ line. A step backwards
rather than forward.
I hardly use my Sigma these days although I did retain a DP1M.
It's pity a really because the Foveon look is so special.
These days I am much more committed to Sony.
I am eagerly awaiting the new A7rII, and have pre-ordered the Batis 25mm.
That combo should be off-the-charts good.
I long for a Merrill improvement.
I agree. I have an A7r, and an updated and improved version is tempting.

I just don't like using the A7r nearly as much. It's a much less well sorted camera than, say an Nikon D810, although it is a lot more compact.

The Ute

I agree. I have an A7r, and an updated and improved version is tempting.

I just don't like using the A7r nearly as much. It's a much less well sorted camera than, say an Nikon D810, although it is a lot more compact.
Exactly but weight counts for what I like to do.
The newer versions of the A7 line are much more refined cameras.
The only places I see the 810 as having an advantage these days in in AF speed.
Once they implement the a6000 AF onto the a7 line even that will disappear.
For static subjects I think the new A7rII will be as good or better especially w the new native FE lenses.

Cmon Sigma. Get it together. ;)

The Ute

Quentin-
Also meant to ask a few questions.
Do you use Sigma Art line lenses on your 810 ?
If so, are you pleased w the results ?
I just added a 35mm Art for my A7r but haven't taken it out yet.

Quentin_Bargate

Quentin-
Also meant to ask a few questions.
Do you use Sigma Art line lenses on your 810 ?
If so, are you pleased w the results ?
I just added a 35mm Art for my A7r but haven't taken it out yet.
Yes, I used a 35mm F1.4, but sadly that was stolen along with my D800E over a year ago. I replaced the D800 with the D810, but I never replaced the Sigma 35mm Art.

while I had it, it was first class.

I do have the (non-Art) 85mm F1.4 EX, which is a superb lens, and also a 120-300mm Sport, which is similarly excellent, but heavy.

At the moment I am at a crossroads. I keep buying stuff I end up not using for various reasons, mainly to do with weight and size. I am waiting for the next gen Sony's. Whatever the advantages of the Merrilll's might be, the sheer horsepower of, say, a 59mp A8, or an updated 36mp A7rII means it is difficult for the Sigmas to keep up. Except as mono cameras, where frankly, the DP2M is superb.

So just waiting for things to settle down a bit. Certainly like the look of the latest Zeiss Batis lenses

The Ute

Yes, I used a 35mm F1.4, but sadly that was stolen along with my D800E over a year ago. I replaced the D800 with the D810, but I never replaced the Sigma 35mm Art.

while I had it, it was first class.

I do have the (non-Art) 85mm F1.4 EX, which is a superb lens, and also a 120-300mm Sport, which is similarly excellent, but heavy.

At the moment I am at a crossroads. I keep buying stuff I end up not using for various reasons, mainly to do with weight and size. I am waiting for the next gen Sony's. Whatever the advantages of the Merrilll's might be, the sheer horsepower of, say, a 59mp A8, or an updated 36mp A7rII means it is difficult for the Sigmas to keep up. Except as mono cameras, where frankly, the DP2M is superb.

So just waiting for things to settle down a bit. Certainly like the look of the latest Zeiss Batis lenses
Thanks Quentin. At least Sigma continues to make excellent lenses.

Malina DZ

Those of you who had experience with both DP1 M & Q, do you find any noticeable improvement in DP1Q lens rendering, e.g. sharper corners wide open, compared to DP1M files?

Quentin_Bargate

Two interior shots of Blenheim Palace during a tour, the first at ISO 640, and the second, stitched from 2 shots, at ISO 800, both handheld.

State Dining Room Ceiling

A State Room

biglouis

^^^^ Blenheim Shots ^^^^

Quentin, those are beautiful and at the same time awesome photographs. Well done.

I find it hard to believe any camera can do better. The Sigma's seem to thrive on photographs with lots of different textures and shapes. At least that is my experience.

I must admit to being conflicted at present about further investment in Sigma cameras. I am intrigued by the DP0Q but wonder whether I should spend my money on a Batis 25 for my A7R instead.

Decisions, decisions (not made easier by this thread).

LouisB

Quentin_Bargate

Louis

Many thanks.

I am just about beginning to understand the Quattros. Where you would dial in +.3 or +.7 of a stop with a Merrill, you have to dial in -0.3 or -0.7 with a Quattro. They also do colour at high ISO far better. It's all very confusing!

Tim

^^^^ Blenheim Shots ^^^^

Quentin, those are beautiful and at the same time awesome photographs. Well done.

I find it hard to believe any camera can do better. The Sigma's seem to thrive on photographs with lots of different textures and shapes. At least that is my experience.

I must admit to being conflicted at present about further investment in Sigma cameras. I am intrigued by the DP0Q but wonder whether I should spend my money on a Batis 25 for my A7R instead.

Decisions, decisions (not made easier by this thread).

LouisB
Louis, I am in much the same quandary.

I want around 21mm, I want more detail than my 16Mpixel GR with GW3 gives me.
How?

DPQ0, A7r+Zeiss 21/2 or a Batis. Maybe.
The Batis is not exactly small, neither is the DPQ0. The A7r+Zeiss ok size wise IMO.

I've considered the XT1+14mm but is there any more detail gained than the GR?
Any m43 and lens combo again no gain. Except perhaps the EM5II in 40Mp mode.

What I would like is an RX1r with native 21mm.

BTW: Quentin, I stopped a looked and looked at the "Polymoniums and Hostas from our garden" the detail and composition is awesome. That would look nice on the wall.

Cheers

Quentin_Bargate

I have a number of high quality cameras, but more often than not, I seem to reach for a Merrill or Quattro, for some reason - despite their limitations. I think their simplicity appeals as well as their unique image quality.

retow

Louis, I am in much the same quandary.

I want around 21mm, I want more detail than my 16Mpixel GR with GW3 gives me.
How?

DPQ0, A7r+Zeiss 21/2 or a Batis. Maybe.
The Batis is not exactly small, neither is the DPQ0. The A7r+Zeiss ok size wise IMO.

I've considered the XT1+14mm but is there any more detail gained than the GR?
Any m43 and lens combo again no gain. Except perhaps the EM5II in 40Mp mode.

What I would like is an RX1r with native 21mm.

BTW: Quentin, I stopped a looked and looked at the "Polymoniums and Hostas from our garden" the detail and composition is awesome. That would look nice on the wall.

Cheers
The GW3 works well on the DP1M.