The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Foveon-Shooters and their other gear

xpatUSA

After some recent buying and selling, my main Sigma is a SD14. "Other gear" is now wife's Panasonic DMC-LX7. Also have a DP1s but don't use it much.

Ted

Tim

Last holiday I took my DP2M and GR. That time I never wanted for much more.
The DP2M got most of the action. With careful handheld use if I use the right technique and light is good I can almost emulate a tripod IQ.

I have recently ordered a larger bag. I am considering trying the DP2M with maybe a XT-1 for images where I am not looking for huge enlargeabilty.
The XT-1 I can get optics that go to 18 or 21mm equiv for which there is no solution for the Merrills.
So I think there are some good pairing options.

On a side note I won't be buying a Quattro mainly because of the form factor not the IQ.
Xpat interesting you have your DP1s, I still have a DP2. Just can't part with it. I must trot it out one day/

Tim

A bit off topic:
One aspect I have harped on about the Merrills in other posts is the use of MED and LOW RAW settings.
I believe I garner a bit more of the DP2 look from the DP2M if I use it in MED or even LOW.

The file is easier to process than full res and the DP2M camera is easier to handle than a DP2.
I've done some tests and up to a certain size I found there is very little to be lost IQ wise.

You gain more pixels in DP2M MED over the DP2, but LOW on the DP2M has less pixels than a DP2.

xpatUSA

A bit off topic:
One aspect I have harped on about the Merrills in other posts is the use of MED and LOW RAW settings.
I believe I garner a bit more of the DP2 look from the DP2M if I use it in MED or even LOW.
You gain more pixels in DP2M MED over the DP2, but LOW on the DP2M has less pixels than a DP2.
Been down that road myself. Medium resolution, as you probably know, is not pure binning, unlike low res. This because Foveon's VPS technology can not bin odd numbers of pixels so, buried in there somewhere is the 'I' word that we foveonistas hate to use (INTERPOLATION).

As a non-printing guy, I did find low res on the SD1M to be quite adequate for my viewing needs (1280x1024px monitor). However, there was so little difference between SD1M low res and SD14 high res quality on my monitor that wresting with SPP 5.5.3 just wasn't worth the money ;)

At one time I used to shoot watches in low res on the SD9 but, in that case, images down-sampled from high res. with a good editor were usually superior. After all, 2x2 on-chip binning is a simple averaging process (bi-linear?), nothing fancy - unlike Lanczos for example.