The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma dp0

Quentin_Bargate

Madness. If you are a serious landscape / architectural photographer, then why saddle yourself with such a limited piece of equipment given the myriad of alternatives?

Hulyss Bowman

What is madness is the shape of the camera with the 14mm attached. I was not on the design and yet, it look like definitively ugly. The new "grip" is also just a question mark in my head :D

??????

Is this what SIGMA users wanted as a "grip" ??

They must address all the flaws raised on the actual models before providing more products ... The DP1Q is not that good so what about a 14mm ...

Quentin_Bargate

Absolutely. The DP1Q has inferior edge performance to the DP1M, in my view. More importantly, the sensor has serious issues with highlight clipping. I like Sigma's bold approach to innovation, but they are travelling down a blind alley at the moment.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
If these cameras had been modular, something like the Ricoh GXR, not so much to save cost but to save space in the camera bag, they would make much more sense. If they changed the "weirdfinder" for a more conventional EVF that could fit in the hotshoe, I could almost see myself wanting these cameras. But as for now, they seem to take up more space than a DSLR with four lenses.

Then of course, if this 14mm lens is absolutely stellar and the price is still around $1,000... who knows?

Somebody must be buying these, or else they wouldn't keep launching new models, would they?

soboyle

Instead of releasing yet another Q model, sigma should go back to the drawing board and do a major rethink. A sensor that is not 10 years behind in dynamic range and iso, and a body that doesn't look like a first prototype and is dog slow shot to shot.

But, - I took my DP2Q out last weekend on an overcast day and was remind of how good the IQ is when the sensor is not challenged by high contrast. Easily beats my Sony A7r (although I don't have the Sony FE 55 1.8 yet).

biglouis

OK, I must be in the minority here.

This is a dream come true. I would love an ultra wide-angle Foveon camera.

Might just make me jump on the DPQ bandwaggon.

LouisB

digi2ap

Agree - a 21mm equivalent is a very interesting DP indeed however what holds me back is that I'm still not ready to switch Merrill to Quattro. Maybe at some point, maybe.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
OK, I must be in the minority here.

This is a dream come true. I would love an ultra wide-angle Foveon camera.

Might just make me jump on the DPQ bandwaggon.

LouisB
In spite of my posting above, I'm actually quite positive. This model could, if the optical quality is stellar, be the most useful one in the series for me. I see a great potential for industrial interiors, which is one of the things I do, as an alternative to carrying my Nikon and a 20mm lens. The alternative would be a Sony A7r with some great 20/21mm, but that would be much more expensive and not really much more compact.

Still, I have no immediate plans buying one. We'll see :)

Tim

I am so glad they did a 21mm equiv. One of my fav FOV.

If it was a DP0 Merrill I would be all over it.

Quentin_Bargate

The alternative would be a Sony A7r with some great 20/21mm, but that would be much more expensive and not really much more compact.
But it would be a lot more versatile.

I suppose on a tripod, bracketing to take care of the limited dynamic range, it might work, assuming good light to limit purple blotching, but with a probable 50mp A7 in the pipeline, there are better options. I'd rather use a DP2m or DP3m and stitch.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
But it would be a lot more versatile.

I suppose on a tripod, bracketing to take care of the limited dynamic range, it might work, assuming good light to limit purple blotching, but with a probable 50mp A7 in the pipeline, there are better options. I'd rather use a DP2m or DP3m and stitch.
It would, but that goes for all fixed lens vs. interchangeable lens comparisons. If the quality of the new Sigma approaches that of a Zeiss 21mm, the price of the Sony/Zeiss combination is 4 times as high as the Sigma, if the Sigma price is at the same level as the other Quattros. It would basically mean that one could buy all four Sigmas for the price of one A7r with one lens.

Does the grip on the bottom come off?
I'm a DP Merrill fan and in general have not liked the looks of the Quattro, but this does have a little something maybe.
I do not understand Sigma making a camera that is not for beginners but then makes you view and focus as though it's a smart phone. Put a good EVF on the silly thing!

ggibson

This makes me suspect a Sigma 14mm f4 lens might not be far behind for e-mount and maybe m4/3...

Quentin_Bargate

It would, but that goes for all fixed lens vs. interchangeable lens comparisons. If the quality of the new Sigma approaches that of a Zeiss 21mm, the price of the Sony/Zeiss combination is 4 times as high as the Sigma, if the Sigma price is at the same level as the other Quattros. It would basically mean that one could buy all four Sigmas for the price of one A7r with one lens.
True, but who wants to carry around 4 separate cameras this shape and size? The Merrills are smaller and there are only three.

It seems to be a solution looking for a problem.

Sigma should sort out the serious issues with the sensor and produce an interchangeable lens version. I was desperate to like the Quattros and for a while I did (I still own two) until I realised they are inferior to the Merrills in key respects and while they are superior in resolution, it is marginal.

Still, if anyone buys one I'd like to see some sample images :rolleyes: