The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Disappointing news: my Ricoh GR is still a great camera

biglouis

At complete odds with the usual trend of updating an already great camera with drool worthy but unnecessary changes Ricoh have have decided on a modest set of new features in the just announced Ricoh GR II..

It is good to know my existing camera is still the best p&s on the market!

LouisB

J

JohnW

I keep rereading, thinking I must be missing something. Focus assist and WiFi?! I'll wait for the reviews, but so far I'm not feeling the love either. Seems to be aimed at new buyers.

John

Last edited:

biglouis

Actually it could be good news. Are they saving the best for a 24mpx full-frame Leica Q killer at some point in the future?

Reading the company blurb they claim the lens is improved and processing faster. Also better low light performance.

If this intro gets new buyers so the product line continueso then that has to be a good thing.

When it drops below 499 I might replace my existing GR.

J

JohnW

I can't help but think there's more to it than the promo suggests. Another stop of ISO would be great. Hard to imagine a better lens. I'm open-minded but it's wait and see for me.

Glad to have thorkil as our tester.:)

John

Thorkil

..but I'm not good at camera analysis, John, but will buy it when I'm back in Denmark from Italy at the end of July..
:)
thorkil

turtle

I'm surprised they say they have improved the lens. Goodness knows how, because its already absolutely astonishing.

Improved AF is the one thing that people would really have noticed, but I don't really use the AF for speedy work, but use snap shooting instead. Its already such a good camera...

biglouis

Agree with all the comments. I've got myself into hot water elsewhere on this site by suggesting that if you are serious about photography you owe it to yourself to own a GR.

I still think that.

LouisB

J

JohnW

Agree with all the comments. I've got myself into hot water elsewhere on this site by suggesting that if you are serious about photography you owe it to yourself to own a GR.

I still think that.

LouisB
Yeah, the Q gets all the 28mm glory, but here at 1/5th the price you get incredible optics (Ming Thein says better) and amazing handling in a package that fits in your pocket. I'm with you.

John

Tim

Well, I have bought all the iterations in the past (cough, and still have them). I had been researching WiFi cards for the GR so I guess I am IN on this new one as well. Plus I will keep the GR as a spare, as silly as it sounds I don't like being without one. Lately more of my images have come from the GR too.

I'm not really disappointed at this minor upgrade, more a tad surprised it didn't include more. Perhaps they are working hard on something else, like the full frame Pentax.

To me this mildest of upgrades speaks of how good the existing camera is.

Update: the GR II special site is here - GR | RICOH IMAGING
You can play with the remote options.

Last edited:

lambert

Yeah, the Q gets all the 28mm glory, but here at 1/5th the price you get incredible optics (Ming Thein says better) and amazing handling in a package that fits in your pocket. I'm with you.

John
In Australia. the difference is much greater. $6000 for a Q vs $600 for a GR.

4season

In a lot of ways, i think the GR is already a fully-realized product, and I'm not sure how it could be dramatically improved without transforming it into something else.

Too, I wonder if there's some value in hanging onto older models: The older ones have noisier sensors and can deliver a rougher-hewn look which is sometimes exactly what a person wants.

Perhaps Ricoh had to refresh the GR design anyhow as electronic components became obsolete.

Or perhaps cost reduction was a driver. Wouldn't be the first time.

When I read that the lens was being improved, I wondered if that was marketing speak for "changed". And we all know "change" is not always for the better.

Tim

Too, I wonder if there's some value in hanging onto older models: The older ones have noisier sensors and can deliver a rougher-hewn look which is sometimes exactly what a person wants.
This is very true. Many of the Streetphotog users like this.

Also, small sensors have their place in the photographic world. They do macros easier, I won't say better but its easier and cheaper. Following from that small sensors also can have more DOF at a larger aperture. Sometimes desirable, sometimes not. Either way IMO they have a place.

Malina DZ

Can anyone confirm whether a new feature "Wireless flash support" allows to trigger external flash guns with the built-in pop-up flash? Is it limited to Pentax flash guns only or other brands can work as well, e.g. Sony HVL F58AM? Will GR fire external flash on a hot shoe in Continuous Shooting mode at 3fps? According to the manual a built-in flash won't fire in Continuous Shooting mode.

Last edited: