The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP0 Quattro shots

Stoneage

On balance, I can't recommend the DP0Q.
Once again I raise my eyes to the heavens and ask "Why oh why, Sigma, did you not stick with the Merrill sensor?????".
..or at least continue to improve the Merrill cameras with firmware updates and SPP processing. I recognise so many Merrill photos just because of its 'auto' white balance.
That's also one reason why many people think Quattro has "better colors". It's mostly because its auto white balance is superior.
And they could manage to make the Merrill processing for Mac users slower with SPP 6.x compared to SPP 5.5.3. Is this the plan, to make the dp/sd Merrills look worse?

In my opinion it is an extremely unprofessional and consumer unfriendly attitude from Sigma to drop support for these cameras.
Not too long ago, the sd1 was an extremely expensive flagship and "medium format" competitor. Now it's a dead horse. (at least for the Sigma company)

Hulyss Bowman

It's too late, the damage is done. On one side you have the guys who say :

" Quattro is fantastic ya know ... I know someone from foveon who told me it is the future ya know... and I never seen a boss from such compagny speaking like that ya know... Kasuto is sooo cute ya know... "

Communication won !! Damage is done.

On the other side you have the real users, not cat shooters but pro users who can compare and foresee vividly where can end a technology if correctly used. But those guys have been disavowed ya know ...

Screw sigma.

foveon

woke up in the mornin, the Merrill dream has gone

Hulyss, see it from the other side, its not surprising that they stopped the Merrills, its surprising that they ever built them.

Similar Samsung, instead of improving their real cool sensor technology the burn handys.^^

Happy New Year

TN Args

Hey, this is not a dp0 hate thread

woke up in the mornin, the Merrill dream has gone
Excuse me, but Mr. Merrill's dream was the Quattro, not the Merrill. :)

I would rather this thread not degenerate into M vs Q nonsense. please. It has been a very nice thread to enjoy dp0 images.

biglouis

Damn DP0Q. Take it out and it creates some stellar results.

Jewish Cemetery in Brady Street Whitechapel (1761-1858), Dawn today, used a Lee 0.9 hard grad to balance the sky. Exported direct from SPP6.5

This one I processed is LR and using a recipe in NIK ColorEffex

SPP-->TIFF-->LR-->JPEG, handheld.

furtle

Coton Manor, Northants.

Went to see the Snowdrops and Hellebores. Bit underwhelming. The Hellebores are better in my garden. Took a few pics but it was, as ever, a grey day. This is Coton Manor, a minor C17 pile of no great merit.

furtle

Basingstoke Canal. A bit of tranquility away from the horrors of Mytchett/Ash Vale/Aldershot. Naturally, being a Quattro, this photo enjoys a bit of highlight clipping..... Three grabbed snaps and stitched. Situation normal with the dp0Q continuing to delight and frustrate.

furtle

Chastleton House, Oxfordshire and near Moreton-in-March but more accurately named Moreton-in-the-Minge. A lovely and interesting Jacobean pile, lived in until the mid 1950s but now owned by the National Trust as the increasingly impoverished owners reluctantly accepted the cash was running out. Yet again a grey day and bravely, I took some indoor, low-light (ooooh noooo!) shots with the ever fickle dp0Q.

biglouis

I think the interior shots have coped better with the colours than the exterior ones - and they look very good - especially the stair shot, very nice indeed.

furtle

I think the interior shots have coped better with the colours than the exterior ones - and they look very good - especially the stair shot, very nice indeed.
Agreed. It's tempting to say it was an overcast day and the sensor didn't get enough light hence the building, grass and daffodil colours are a bit off but I don't have the energy to faff around with the colours. The light indoors was shockingly poor and as you say the colours look better. Hey ho!

Maybe a B & W?

Adnen

Agreed. It's tempting to say it was an overcast day and the sensor didn't get enough light hence the building, grass and daffodil colours are a bit off but I don't have the energy to faff around with the colours. The light indoors was shockingly poor and as you say the colours look better. Hey ho!

Maybe a B & W?

The b&w version looks much better :thumbup: ... At least, the sensor got it right for the textures :D

furtle

Perserving with the dp0 Quattro... Oxford canal at Banbury (a once lovely market town ruined by town planners). Another gloomy day.

furtle

Sigma have updated the firmware for the dp Quattro cameras and they can now shoot SFD (7 stacked shots; tripod and zero movement in the scene needed) and produce DNG files.

Link here https://www.sigma-photo.co.jp/english/new/new_topic.php?id=667

I tried the SFD mode in a church and the Quattro signature noise has gone and the colours are great. This was just a quick test and I could improve the focus, exposure, processing etc.

For static interior shots and if you have the patience to deal with near 300mb files, the finished photos are superb. Noise in the shadows is a thing of the past. In my view, the dp0Q is now a serious camera for interior work.

SPP is now updated to 6.5.3

biglouis

That looks very good. My shots of Flamstead church from last year were ruined by diffraction - I was shooting at f11, so I'd be interested to go back and try it again with the new firmware and stacking in the future. I'll give the dng's a go tomorrow on my walk to work.

LouisB