The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP0 Quattro shots

biglouis

Gasholder Park, Regent's Canal, near Kings Cross, London

St Pancras Coroner's Court, 1886 - 3 photos merged to HDR

furtle

Some excellent photos. I'm of the view the dp0Q is going to be seen as one of Sigma's finest cameras. I too take it on holiday, often as my only camera.

One from Collioure, deepest SW France where is can be glorious in mid October. The tourists have largely gone, its warm and there is less humidity in the air.

arionelli

Re: West from Spring Gully

Taken last weekend

View attachment 126322
dp0

I think this a very beautiful photograph, especially because, to my eyes, it has a very NATURAL looking dynamic range for the scene, unlike the current trend to make the dark areas almost like 'daylight'. In scenes such as this you do have to squint to look in the direction of the sun (same as camera pov), so a natural flow of contrast exists from that bathed in light to that in the dark shadows.
I've had my eye on the Foveon sensor since just before SD1 arrived and am in the process now of buying DP Merrills 123. Still on the fence about the 0Q though, since opinions on the changes in look between Merrill and Quattro images are so divided.There must be good reason there are so many Merrill lovers unwilling to part with their wares for a new Q. Sigma must know this of course, and hopefully, to please their loyal users, be batting their brains out for the genuine step forward that everyone is now awaiting / hoping / expecting. I do wish them success, as long as they keep showing that image quality is as important to them (and us) as they would have us believe. They certainly are on to something special with the Foveon.
I may for the moment go with an SD1 / new14mm Art as a nowaday replacement for my once dearly loved 38swc if I can find a trend in reports stating this combo to be as stunning as the 0. This thread has been of great value so far in this regard. Thanks everyone for all the great photos.
Martin

Last edited:

biglouis

I may for the moment go with an SD1 / new14mm Art as a nowaday replacement for my once dearly loved 38swc if I can find a trend in reports stating this combo to be as stunning as the 0. This thread has been of great value so far in this regard. Thanks everyone for all the great photos.
Martin
Are you also an ex-Hasselblad SWC man? I tend to think of my DP0Q as a replacement for my SWC/M. I sold it when I finally moved from film and have sometimes regretted it. The DP0Q is the closest I have got to the same level of enjoyment when I use it.

LouisB

arionelli

Are you also an ex-Hasselblad SWC man? I tend to think of my DP0Q as a replacement for my SWC/M. I sold it when I finally moved from film and have sometimes regretted it. The DP0Q is the closest I have got to the same level of enjoyment when I use it.

LouisB
I'll take that as a recommendation then and think over it a bit more seriously...

For olden times' sake: 903swc with a couple from the Gibson Desert West Aus, where I worked for 5 years...don't look at the quality folks, they're just down and dirty scans enough to see content only. The Velvia look - by Velvia... ;>) ... I love to look at these through my loupe on a light box sometimes, old tech style. Sorry for the sidetrack.
Martinspinifex dune patjarr.jpgtravelling south patjarr road.jpg

Some lens, eh?

Last edited:

biglouis

One of the finest Zeiss lenses ever made? One of the finest lenses ever made?

I do fantasise about winning the lottery, buying a 903 and a Hass digital back. The whole kit would only cost me about GBP 13,000 :D

Here are a couple of my favourites but also one with the DP0Q which I hope prooves my point a little bit about the digital alternative.

London Wall, London (SWC/M, Kodak Portra 160)

Exhibition (SWC/M, cropped 4x5, Kodak Portra 400)

Langstone Harbour, Hampshire (Sigma DP0Q, cropped 1:1)

arionelli

One of the finest Zeiss lenses ever made? One of the finest lenses ever made?

I do fantasise about winning the lottery, buying a 903 and a Hass digital back. The whole kit would only cost me about GBP 13,000 :D

Here are a couple of my favourites but also one with the DP0Q which I hope prooves my point a little bit about the digital alternative.

London Wall, London (SWC/M, Kodak Portra 160)

Exhibition (SWC/M, cropped 4x5, Kodak Portra 400)

Langstone Harbour, Hampshire (Sigma DP0Q, cropped 1:1)
One might need to win lotto to do that...I've thought of this option too. However, it may rather be deflating and positively underwhelming when you see the 33x44mm version of what your baby once did at 54x54...50mp or not, it will be a different look and feel.
I think the present is speaking for itself in what Sigma is trying to achieve with much more affordable money, so I'm trying to get a feel for how their 14mm lenses have been compared to each other. I want to get an SA mount camera for longer views in any case but if the technical merits of the DP0Q body / lens construction are Sigma's pinnacle of IQ and don't give anything away to the Art then I would add it to my bag, if you get what I'm trying to say.
Martin

biglouis

One might need to win lotto to do that...I've thought of this option too. However, it may rather be deflating and positively underwhelming when you see the 33x44mm version of what your baby once did at 54x54...50mp or not, it will be a different look and feel.
I think the present is speaking for itself in what Sigma is trying to achieve with much more affordable money, so I'm trying to get a feel for how their 14mm lenses have been compared to each other. I want to get an SA mount camera for longer views in any case but if the technical merits of the DP0Q body / lens construction are Sigma's pinnacle of IQ and don't give anything away to the Art then I would add it to my bag, if you get what I'm trying to say.
Martin
Yes, you are right of course - the 50mpx back would crop the 38mm down. I have actually seen some posts of the 903 with the 50mpx back. They are nice <sigh>.

One thing I will say is that since the DP0Q has supported DNG I have got some fantastic results with it. The workflow in LR is of course a lot easier.

There are two guys in the Sigma FB groups who are doing some incredible work the new Quattro H and the 12-24 ART but I reckon the 14mm will be awesome on that camera.

For me, though, the DP0Q is so convenient I'm not in a hurry to go to a Quattro H.

Louis

furtle

Stratford upon Avon. A fleeting moment of brightness on a blustery, cold day. Sigma dp0 Quattro and dp3 Quattro

TN Args

Guys, its Spring in the north

...nobody out there with their landscape camera dp0?

We are segueing into winter in the South; I need some reminders! This is all I can remember from spring...

DP0Q2245.jpg

ggibson

I picked up this camera to try out. I really like the output, very sharp and colorful even if that color is not super accurate. I converted a few shots here to B&W. Images compare well with my Sony A7rII and 16-35/4 at 21mm. My main complaint at this point though, is how do I pack this weird shape into a bag???

Tendrils by Graham Gibson, on Flickr

A way down by Graham Gibson, on Flickr