The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma Quattro Images

bensonga

I want to give a special thanks to the few people posting images here taken with the sd Quattro or sd Quattro-H.

Today I purchased a sdq with the 30/1.4 Art lens. It will join my DP Merrills (1, 2 & 3) as cameras I really enjoy using, despite their well known quirks.

The sd Quattros are very likely the last of the Sigma SA mount cameras. I hope that Sigma will release an L-mount Foveon camera (preferably with a FF sensor) that brings the very best of Foveon image quality and improved operational functions to a much wider market.

Gary

bensonga

To celebrate and support Sigma on it's 60th anniversary.....

I bought a dp3 Quattro.

While I have 3 DP Merrills, the SD1 Merrill and a sd Quattro, I have wanted to try a dp Quattro camera. The 75mm eq focal length of the DP3 Merrill really appeals to me, so I picked up a dp3 Quattro with the LVF-01 viewfinder. Took a few test shots, made some prints and I'm happy with the results.

GarySDIM0014 JPG The Chacon Flag Banner Cropped CLREfx P1800.jpgSDIM0016 RAW Chugiak Boat P1800.jpgSDIM0020 JPG The Chacon Flag Prop Cropped CLREfx P1800.jpg

ggibson

To celebrate and support Sigma on it's 60th anniversary.....

I bought a dp3 Quattro.

While I have 3 DP Merrills, the SD1 Merrill and a sd Quattro, I have wanted to try a dp Quattro camera. The 75mm eq focal length of the DP3 Merrill really appeals to me, so I picked up a dp3 Quattro with the LVF-01 viewfinder. Took a few test shots, made some prints and I'm happy with the results.

GaryView attachment 188040View attachment 188041View attachment 188042
Great colors. I’m curious if you’ve compared it to your DP3m yet. I’ve thought about trading mine in for the Quattro version so that I could shoot in SFD mode.

bensonga

Great colors. I’m curious if you’ve compared it to your DP3m yet. I’ve thought about trading mine in for the Quattro version so that I could shoot in SFD mode.
I like the colors also. The dp3Q also captured very fine details in the fabric of the old flag which were nicely presented in a 13x19 inch print I made of that image. I’ve had the camera for less than a week . I haven’t had a chance to take any side by side comparison shots with the DP3M yet. It snowed here last night, so it seems that Fall has come to a quick end. I will try to take some comparison shots in the next week or so and I’ll share them in a separate thread here.

Gary

bensonga

Sharing this image (again) from my dp3 Quattro while there is still an "Other Cameras" forum on GetDPI. I printed the image on 13x19 Moab Entrada Rag Bright 300 gsm paper recently for an upcoming color print exchange. I decided to push it further and see how it looked on 17x25 inch paper. I showed that larger print to several of my photo friends here in Anchorage.

They were sceptical that the detail, colors etc in the 17x25 inch print could have come from an image captured with a 20mp APS-C size sensor camera.

SDIM0014 JPG The Chacon Flag Banner Cropped CLREfx v2 P1800.jpg

Last edited:

Shashin

They were sceptical that the detail, colors etc in the 17x25 inch print could have come from an image captured with a 20mp APS-C size sensor camera.
Most people simply have not printed large. I used to regularly help photographers print ~24MP images (35mm and APS-C) up to 60". These were mostly full-size proofs for exhibitions. Their reasons against printing that large was not the quality (which they were amazed by), but the framing costs. I can very well imagine that a 20MP Sigma image printed to 25" would be rich.

bensonga

I’ve never had a printer capable of printing wider than 17” (I’m currently using a Epson P800). Wish I had space for a floor standing 24” wide printer. I would love to see how one of my favorite Foveon images looks on much larger paper, but since I have a personal quirk re making my own prints, it’s unlikely I ever will.