The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Epson R-D1 Photos

furtle

I thought I would post a few shots from this old timer. It's no match for recent cameras but there is a beauty in it's simplicity.

Rust

Old French lamp

Garden Table

Reactions: iie

biglouis

Lovely captures.

I've often wondered about getting another R-D1. It was my first 'serious' camera and committed me to Leica for several years. I wish I'd kept it instead of selling it to justify my M8 purchase. If only Epson had kept going. Can you imagine a R-D1 with a Sony 24mpx sensor?

In many ways it was a much better camera than any of the digital Ms that have since come along.

Sorry to hear about your DP0Q but as you know I have taken the plunge a second time. I must be a closet-camera-sadist, or something.

LouisB

furtle

Lovely captures.

I've often wondered about getting another R-D1. It was my first 'serious' camera and committed me to Leica for several years. I wish I'd kept it instead of selling it to justify my M8 purchase. If only Epson had kept going. Can you imagine a R-D1 with a Sony 24mpx sensor?

In many ways it was a much better camera than any of the digital Ms that have since come along.

Sorry to hear about your DP0Q but as you know I have taken the plunge a second time. I must be a closet-camera-sadist, or something.

LouisB
Thanks Louis. Yep, Epson had a real niche for a while. Stick a Sony sensor in it and add some updated electronics and I'd buy one.

Hope you have more success with the your new DP0Q. Let us know how the shadows look at the smaller apertures. Maybe your model is updated, who knows?

furtle

Apple Day... Who'd thunk that? Messing about with a 12 year old digital range finder. I had a 40mm lens on it and (like an idiot) forgot this and had the frame selection line set to 28mm. We're spoilt with modern cameras. Everyone one likes the 'colours' and images from the Epson camera. Ummm..... I could have taken a sharper, cleaner and technically better photo with a Sigma but it just goes to show we know nothing.

https://flic.kr/p/NnfTmr by https://www.flickr.com/photos/80621138@N05/

furtle

Look like prefects pics you clicked with objects, contrast as well as background.
Thank you for your kind comments. I've now sold my Epson because as much as people extol the virtues of a rangefinder, there is no doubt they are difficult to focus accurately and quickly, especially with the trend for wider aperture lenses and much thinner depths of field.

The Epson camera was a masterpiece in design and very 'cool' with it's analogue, watch style dials. The rangefinder was accurate and easy to re-calibrate at home with some very basic tools.

I generally used Zeiss ZM or Voigtlander VM lenses and nothing longer than 50mm due to the crop factor. The images it produced had a real warmth to them, were non-clinical and needed very little post processing work. It made a poor landscape camera but an excellent tool for photographing friends and family - and I assume street work but that's not really my area of interest.

I also recognised the camera was from 2004 and probably the oldest bit of electronics I owned! So, highly likely to turn into a brick without notice. The fact it was still in perfect working order in 2017 is a testament to its build quality. It really was a poor man's or woman's Leica.

I now use a Sony A7S which is a whore, allowing any lens to mount on it:) It is a breeze to focus with shallow depth of field lenses even in poor light. And I can use longer lenses with ease. I'm very excited because I've just picked up a mint, SMC Asahi Takumar 85mm f1.8. Wowza! What a lens and it is perfect on the A7S for those evening/low light party/function shots. Reminds me very much of my Zeiss ZM 50/1.5 Sonnar but with a little more reach. Does the A7S have the same look as the Epson straight from the camera? Dunno but with a little LightRoom work, I like the photos it makes. Oh, and about the Sony menu that is so, so, criticised; I ignore the rubbish spouted an also happily ignore 90% of the menu functions using manual focus lenses.