The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A Tale Of Two Cameras

biglouis

Readers of the DP0Q thread will know I was pretty disappointed with the product and decided to return mine to Amazon.

At the same time I had a serious talk with myself about camera systems and decided I had to invest in one, which is my Sony ILCE-A7 system.

That being the case I posted that I was selling my DP3M as it was surplus to requirements and shortly thereafter it went on ebay.

Well this week I bought two cameras. One was a Leica Q - but the other was another DP3M.

I was so frustrated with the quality of the longer focal lengths on my A7R that I just decided I was foolish to sell the DP3M and luckily for me Ffordes here in the UK had an almost similar DP3M system to the one I sold (and at £50 less than I got for mine on ebay).

It is like pressing reset and also a testament to what a Sigma nerd I am.

Went out shooting with it this morning and nailed scenes I failed to do with A7R a couple of weeks ago.

It is not a perfect system by any means. There is still banding with underexposure which means you really do have to nail it (and I did not in all cases today so it is something I have to work on). I am lucky I did not sell my Hoodman Loupe which makes using the DP3M so much easier.

Here are some of the results from today.

Used the 'dehaze' feature in LR 6.3 here and it worked very well

Close up Macro shot of headstone around the so-called 'Hardy Tree' in St Pancras Old Church graveyard

The Soane mausoleum, the cupola is said the be the inspiration for the iconic British GPO telephone box

A new site in King's Cross called St Pancras Square. Did not nail exposure on this one and I think that is why the reflection has a strange colour.

The new (and much improved) piazza outside King's Cross station looking at the rebuild of the 'Oyster House'

Hulyss Bowman

Now you have more experience with "other" cameras, you know deep inside that nothing can touch a Merrill especially the Dp3. When I reviewed it for LuLa in March 2013, I said that it was the pinnacle of Sigma engineering and it still the pinnacle of Sigma engineering, whatever ppl say. I used it this afternoon during a trek under rain and will post some soon.

Of course it is not a perfect camera but I still hope Sigma read forums and will return to 1/1/1 design... otherwise it will be kind of sad.

This is super cool to see someone who see that the Merrill is superior IQ wise to the Quattro.

Save the clicks ;)

I'm interested that you bought the Leica when you have a Ricoh GR.

Will the GR be consigned to a dusty shelf now - or it the Leica too large for some of your strolling around London?

Tony

Hulyss Bowman

Someone said it is different and yes, it is. But, between the two DP3, the M is more efficient DR wise and the lens is more "corrected" on the Merrill sensor than on the Q sensor. Maybe the next DP will boast improved lens formula. The DP0 is extremely well corrected. Just to had some nuances in what I said :)

It is a bit like what ppl experience between the RX1 24mp and the RX1 42mp. The lens is good but the limits can be visible sometimes, just because of the new sensor. The Leica Q is just a splendid camera ... if you like 28 mm :)

biglouis

Thanks for the responses.

The only concern I do have with owning the Q is whether I will pick up the GR.

The GR is such a superb camera. Even if I don't use it much I am not going to make the same mistake twice and sell it.

In fact, I have been using it more with the 21mm adapter in recent times because being able to sneak shot a 21mm frame from such a small camera is an advantage in certain situations where I don't want to draw attention to myself with a camera.

LouisB

Hulyss Bowman

Have you tried the Nikon Coolpix A ?? It seems to be a forgoten camera but a very good camera, a bit like the GR. In the 28mm world there is a lot of choice.

biglouis

Have you tried the Nikon Coolpix A ?? It seems to be a forgoten camera but a very good camera, a bit like the GR. In the 28mm world there is a lot of choice.
Actually, what drew me first to the idea of owning a GR was the Coolpix. I was reading a photo mag and couldn't believe the specification and size for the price point. It was only when doing internet research that I discovered - or at least it is my impression - that they are basically the same camera with two different bodies. Then, when I saw the work being done here by users of the GR I decided to get one.

I was once heavily criticised for the statement "If you are serious about photography you owe it to yourself to buy a GR". I'm pretty unrepentant about that!

The fact that it can be had for sub-£400 (not sure what that is in Euros) is to me a no-brainer. It is the ultimate back-up camera and I have used it for many situations where I wouldn't take a large camera and always got good results. Even in dimly lit night clubs photographing my son's bands.

The Q is something else. I can already tell the sensor and especially the lens are in a different class compared to any ff camera. It is the only camera I have used recently where at the pixel level it is as sharp as a Merrill. Not even my A7R or A7S do that. I would not even have thought a bayer sensor could do that. I believe the new SL has a similar sensor and it is going to be a crazy-good camera if it has.

It is incredible (but probably not believed) that once you use this cheap compact, any Merrill, that it sets a standard that other cameras have to achieve :)

Just my two cents.

LouisB

Hulyss Bowman

I was once very interested in Ricoh (the one with modules) but somehow I've got distracted and forgot about it. I know they are pretty good cameras especially in B&W. And you right, the coolpix is damn expensive compared to the GR.

I have absolutely no problem to trust you about the Q (Leïca). The sensor seems to be just as awesome as the lens. I'm actually waiting (I very patient) but I really like the SL, even his price. I might buy a new camera by the end of 2016, not before. We will see what happen but for now, the SL win some points :)

By the end of 2016, someone will craft numerous adaptation rings for T mount :) Can't wait !!

biglouis

I must admit even from only a few shots with the Leica Q I can tell this is a very good sensor.

As good as the Sony's but perhaps a little bit sharper. Also the colours are very Leica.

Now, I suspect a lot of this is manufactured in software (perhaps) but it does bode well for the SL.

I suspect you will see a lot of samples soon to tempt you and lets also hope that high quality adapters are available, for example for Nikon AI glass - would be my interest, although I always swear by the Elmar 50/2.8 and the Elmarit 90/2.8 - inexpensive and very good.

LouisB

Hulyss Bowman

I must admit even from only a few shots with the Leica Q I can tell this is a very good sensor.

As good as the Sony's but perhaps a little bit sharper. Also the colours are very Leica.

Now, I suspect a lot of this is manufactured in software (perhaps) but it does bode well for the SL.

I suspect you will see a lot of samples soon to tempt you and lets also hope that high quality adapters are available, for example for Nikon AI glass - would be my interest, although I always swear by the Elmar 50/2.8 and the Elmarit 90/2.8 - inexpensive and very good.

LouisB
Ha... you are spot on on this one, this is exactly what I have in mind. If I can afford the SL I won't be able to afford the Noct but I really want to use my NoctNikkor on it !! I will use it essentially with AIS lenses / Zeiss ZM and R. But first I need to buy it and that is an another story :cool:

The sensor is very unique and might be fine tuned for leïca (probably). If I can live actually with 12 MP I won't die next year with 24.

The SL is the price of a D4s but i find the SL far more attractive for whatever reason.

biglouis

The SL is the price of a D4s but i find the SL far more attractive for whatever reason.
I think I can say why. It is the same reason I chose the Q over the RX1Rm2 I also had on order (not any longer - I can't afford both).

The Q has very few controls to clutter up its use and logical menus. I like using a proper aperture ring but I also like AF. Also, the auto-iso is properly implemented unlike on my Sonys.

Long story short you concentrate on the image and not the controls. Less is indeed more. Which incidentally brings us back to the minimalist design of the DPxMs as well.

LouisB

Hulyss Bowman

This is it, Louis. The camera is serious and made for photographers, not consumers. The same with Sigma. This is why I still hope that Sigma will go 24x36 (before the end of 2016 would be cool). But yea, the SL is a serious camera with a serious price.