The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma sd Quattro H

biglouis

Good news.

The Sigma website link is down.

That either means there is an unexpected overwhelming interest in the cameras.

Or, their site was hacked and someone put up a totally false set of pages in an effort to stimulate Sigma management to do something to improve the camera product line.

Conspiracy-theorist moi?

LouisB

Hulyss Bowman

Sounds a but like acceptance that the original quatto sensor design has poor dynamic range
Hello Quentin,

The last firmware/SPP bring some visible advancements, especially at a noise level. I do not know about highlight clipping. We can expect some refinements on the H Quattro. It is just a bigger chunk of wafer with the same pixel pitch. If the histogram is available and accurate in manual mode I think the H might deliver a LOT. All depend of the lenses of course but now the Art lenses are here and the range is ok. 24 to 50 in art series and maybe a 85, who know.

The H with the 24 Art should deliver, I'm sure. What is sure also is that SPP will be a bit revamped because it start to be heavy datas. Once the good samples are out we will be a bit dazzled me think.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
this EVF thing means they dont use a mirror, so why keep the flange distance. Bringing the camera with shorter flange distance and an adapter to SA Flange opens the field to use 3rd party lenses with adapters.
Sigma doesn't make money from the use of third party lenses on their cameras, but they do make money if you buy some of their SA-mount lenses.

I think this is pretty cool, although I don't have any lenses in SA-mount. For me, it would be even cooler if it came with F-mount and 4K video, but that is what Nikon is going to do next, right Nikon...?

biglouis

I'm trying to work out which lenses would make sense with these cameras.

Is it me or is there no real UWA lens in the Sigma lens system?

The closest I seem to get is a 17-40 Contemporary, or 18-50 Art (which looks like an interesting lens in the typical 24-70 line up) but I can't find anything that would give me either primes or zooms which are the equivalent of 16 to 21 on a full frame camera..

Am I missing something because I thought Sigma's range was a lot larger than now appears on the web site?

LouisB

Hulyss Bowman

Sigma do have a very good aps-c wide angle zoom : The Sigma 8-16mm 4.5-5.6 DC HSM

It might work perfect on the regular Quattro now we need to see if it work on the H Quattro. Sigma will give us answers anyway we just need to wait I think.

The 8-16 do have an excellent reputation among wide angle zooms.

Quentin_Bargate

Hello Quentin,

The last firmware/SPP bring some visible advancements, especially at a noise level. I do not know about highlight clipping. We can expect some refinements on the H Quattro. It is just a bigger chunk of wafer with the same pixel pitch. If the histogram is available and accurate in manual mode I think the H might deliver a LOT. All depend of the lenses of course but now the Art lenses are here and the range is ok. 24 to 50 in art series and maybe a 85, who know.

The H with the 24 Art should deliver, I'm sure. What is sure also is that SPP will be a bit revamped because it start to be heavy datas. Once the good samples are out we will be a bit dazzled me think.
Much as I am glad to see Sigma producing a new innovative camera, Sony E-mount cameras which I currently use, are compact, offer superb quality and Sony have released new G master lenses likely to make the very most of their sensors. I'm not sure these new cameras will be able to compete, but I'd certainly like to think they can and I will therefore keep an open mind.

etrigan63

I too found this camera system strangely appealing. Weatherproof, magnesium body, high quality lenses, high resolution, unique but ergonomic design, complete system at launch and a battery grip (necessary for those big lenses). On the downside: not legacy lens friendly (permanent SA adapter mounted on front), no software support from major platforms (non-Bayer sensor issue - Fuji suffers from this to a lesser degree).

Sigma will have to get on the Adobe bandwagon if they want to be taken seriously.

Hulyss Bowman

@Quentin :

Yes I understand but it come a certain price tag !

@etrigan63

I seriously doubt the SD Q is weather sealed, at all. They would already have communicated on it like with the SD1.

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

What we can say as the date of today is that Sigma listen and try to make a "bigger" sensor. This is the way to go even if it is not yet a 24x36.

Hulyss Bowman

From the Sigma Press Release:

"A magnesium alloy body makes the sd Quattro and sd Quattro H durable and rugged, while a dust- and splash-proof design makes it ideal for photographers facing harsh conditions."
Haa ! My bad. On the official website under "operating condition" we just have a temperature range (0 to 40°), nothing more. But it seems to be protected yes. Will need to see the drawing of this protection to be true.

Anyway, none of the actual Art lenses are Weather sealed so there is something odd over here :p

Michiel Schierbeek

Love the design. Remembers me of the old Braun products but then in black.
I am certainly interested especially in combination with their Art primes and zoom lenses.
Hope these sensors are not the quatro ones but updated dp style.

ggibson

Super interesting camera. I've always loved the Sigma foveon/quattro quality. I demo'd the DP2 Quattro for a week when it came out, and the image quality at low ISOs is beautiful. Build quality was also impressive, even if the ergonomics weren't the best. This looks like the same build style with a much better set of ergonomic choices, even if the weird angled base should have been flat. Seriously, I think they've designed these Quattro SDs and DPs to be visually strange in order to say, "hey, these aren't your average camera".

Sigma's approach here seems to be a way to take a step in the mirrorless direction, while taking advantage of an already built-out lens lineup. It's pretty much the only way that a smaller player like Sigma can release a system camera, since they probably need the volume from Canon and Nikon mount sales to produce any lenses at reasonable cost. They need to piggyback on the larger players' platforms in lens design.

By the same token, I wonder whether the release of the Sony and m4/3 30mm f1.4 means they may be testing the waters of a pure mirrorless mount system in the future. If these systems can provide enough lens volume, Sigma can start developing a smaller mirrorless system camera. Or maybe we'll see a Sigma Quattro "DP2s" with the 30mm f1.4 lens instead of the f2.8 version.

Unfortunately, Sigma still hasn't addressed what I think is the achilles' heel of these cameras--the horrendous SPP software that is basically required to get the best out of the RAW files. I could totally get on board with a specialty camera like the DPs or even a system like the SD, but SPP introduces another layer into the post-processing pipeline that leaves a sour taste in my mouth. I just want to import my files into Lightroom and edit, not have to import/export through SPP to Lightroom, creating and managing multiple files along the way. If anyone has a simple workflow for these Sigma files, I'd definitely take a harder look at a Sigma camera.

Michiel Schierbeek

I was initially confused about the size of this instrument.
Its already on Camerasize - http://camerasize.com/compact/#669,293,624,ha,f

Notably, click it in Camerasize to the top downview like here - http://camerasize.com/compact/#669,624,641,557,ha,t

Its not insubstantial in size.
If Sigma can tool up for the APS-H sensor for this body, will that appear in a DP2Q replacement?
Here's hoping if it does the body style will be revisited.
It is quiet big in deed with the big lens hump.

Tim

Looking at the top down view, I am guessing that the lens flange distance will mean that say Leica M glass would not go on this camera?
So while it is technically mirrorless, does it have that advantage of being able to use most lenses with adapters?

Edit:
Ok, so I think I can answer my own question as quoted here - Sigma announces sd Quattro and sd Quattro H Foveon mirrorless cameras: Digital Photography Review

Both cameras use the company's full-depth SA lens mount as used in its SLRs, and are built around APS-C and APS-H sized sensors

So my understanding is no glass shorter than SA mount.

Michiel Schierbeek

Looking at the top down view, I am guessing that the lens flange distance will mean that say Leica M glass would not go on this camera?
So while it is technically mirrorless, does it have that advantage of being able to use most lenses with adapters?
No it will not only the ones with longer flange dintances like medium format lenses for example. Oh wow I could use some of my Pentax 645 lenses on it!

Tim

No it will not only the ones with longer flange dintances like medium format lenses for example. Oh wow I could use some of my Pentax 645 lenses on it!
Very true, and the mind boggles at how all those Blad lenses and other will render. I guess we will see.