The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma sd Quattro H

UHDR

doesnt look like an SLR with OVF, maybe EVF?
yep. i think the description says, the EVF is 2.3 million dots.

interestingly there is a super-fine mode which reduces noise:

"The new Super-Fine Detail (SFD) exposure mode brings out the full performance of the Foveon X3 Quattro direct image sensor. One push of the shutter generates seven different exposures, creating RAW data in the X3I file format. Using this data with the SIGMA Photo Pro software package, the photographer can create noiseless images with an extensive dynamic range. With this new mode, the more detailed imaging potential of the Foveon X3 Quattro direct image sensor is fully leveraged. From each X3I file, individual X3F files may also be generated. The value of SFD exposure mode is especially apparent in studio photography."

foveon

this EVF thing means they dont use a mirror, so why keep the flange distance. Bringing the camera with shorter flange distance and an adapter to SA Flange opens the field to use 3rd party lenses with adapters.

Hulyss Bowman

All of this sound pretty good. The only points who interest me are the new APS-H (not really an APS-H but let say it is...) and the EVF performance.

There is a lot of work on those two cameras and on the sensor (on sensor phase and contrast AF). The AF won't be as efficient as the regular SD (Imho).

Also, Sigma photo pro will need a dust off to handle the new XFI files... playing with one Quattro file even on big computer take time. Imagine with 7 bigger files in the same time ? Crashes ahead.

Hooo ... why bother ? I'm waiting the APS-H version of the new DP ^^

But :cry: maybe it is the death of the DP line ?

We need more infos anyway.

Stoneage

Wow, i was so wrong with my speculations about the comming SD Quattro, and i'm glad i was. ;)

Since the "APS-H" sensor is only marginally bigger, will APS-C lenses maybe still work?

Hulyss Bowman

Yes this is just Exposure stacking, can be done with whatever camera :D

Also hope you guys do not have a big nose. Look at the EVF position ^^

Note: The nose will grease the right of the screen where no image is displayed, only camera infos.

Anyway, I'm sure that the APS-H version will deliver a lot on IQ, quattro or not. I'm just a bit sad they kept the SA mount, just a bit sad we can't really adapt other lenses on it... we will see how it work later.

I like the design. Note : It is square when the grip is mounted on.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Looks great!

This is what Nikon should have done already long time ago in order to build a mirrorless camera allowing to mount their complete lens lineup (APSC/DX and FF/FX). They could have easily created a DX (24MP) as well as a FX (36MP) mirrorless body this way. Makes me really angry how boring and conservative Nikon is thinking :argue:. Same is BTW true for Canon, but I care less as I am out of Canon since many years :grin:

But back to the SD Quattro H and the DS Quattro - they seem to have done something about high ISO, both go natively up to 6400, which is great!

The SD Quattro H reminds me WRT sensor size on the Leica DMR and the M8, which had similar crop of 1.3, which is actually something very good :thumbs:

I do hope that Sigma is working together with Adobe for RAW support, as I am definitely not going into another Sigma proprietary post processing SW package. But if that happens, this could become the basis of a great mirrorless system for me. Of course if the price is reasonable ....

biglouis

Given some of the discussions we have had in this forum about an interchangeable CSC my first thought is 'be careful what you wish for... you might just get it!'

The lack of a tilting screen is a bummer.

I was quite happy with a 1.3 crop factor with my M8 soI think this is not so bad. A 16mm becomes a 21mm and a 28mm becomes a 35mm etc.

I just hope that Sigma is not crazy in its pricing assuming that it is competing with Penta 645z, Hassleblad CFV-50c etc.

LouisB

UHDR

looking at the EVF....it screams to me that it was originally ment for tilt-able EVF like GX7/8, but mr sigma then thought it will be too expensive to implement. :ROTFL:

they said 51MP but we all know how sigma does their maths differently to normal human beings. i wonder what is actual size and base pixel count for the H version. we know alot of the ART lens achieve their magic through larger-than-required image cirlce, so may be even 18-35mm and the new 50-100mm will be good for the H too.

Hulyss Bowman

If it can ameliorate the ugly APS-C bokeh and if the price is cool I might try. So "APS-H" + 50f1.4 Art might be cool. SIGMA ? If I can test one just send me a unit with a 50 Art, 24 Art and a telezoom. I promise I will be pragmatic :angel:

Aquatarkus

I just hope that Sigma is not crazy in its pricing assuming that it is competing with Penta 645z, Hassleblad CFV-50c etc.

LouisB
I hope so too, think Pentax have put the cat amongst the pigeons with the price of the new K1 full fame, so hoping Sigma price these at around the same or slightly cheaper. We all remember the SD1 pricing fiasco.
Nice to see NO video, but have USB 3 and mini HDMI outputs.

Lets see some samples soon i hope.

Regards
Keith W

Hulyss Bowman

Anyway... it is the Quattro H, like Hulyss so I'm sorta obliged to buy it, just because.

Side note: If one want to find my initial DP3m review I published back in the days on Luminous landscape ... it is now impossible without paying. Thank you Michael Richman you, pompous capitalist, to not even cite the Author (Me). I might ask Get DPI to host it, if they agree, because it was an informative piece of review.

Last edited:

Quentin_Bargate

yep. i think the description says, the EVF is 2.3 million dots.

interestingly there is a super-fine mode which reduces noise:

"The new Super-Fine Detail (SFD) exposure mode brings out the full performance of the Foveon X3 Quattro direct image sensor. One push of the shutter generates seven different exposures, creating RAW data in the X3I file format. Using this data with the SIGMA Photo Pro software package, the photographer can create noiseless images with an extensive dynamic range. With this new mode, the more detailed imaging potential of the Foveon X3 Quattro direct image sensor is fully leveraged. From each X3I file, individual X3F files may also be generated. The value of SFD exposure mode is especially apparent in studio photography."
Sounds a but like acceptance that the original quatto sensor design has poor dynamic range