The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma sd Quattro H

etrigan63

To me, the major downsides of this system (so far) are its size, and the horrid Sigma Photo Pro software that you must use as Sigma has not shared their secret sauce recipe with anyone. If they price it like the SD1 Merrill, that will be the final nail in the coffin. Sigma used to have a lens that would make this look normal sized:

Bigma - APO 200-500mm F2.8/400-1000mm EX DG by Carlos Echenique, on Flickr

Last edited:

photoSmart42

this EVF thing means they dont use a mirror, so why keep the flange distance. Bringing the camera with shorter flange distance and an adapter to SA Flange opens the field to use 3rd party lenses with adapters.
Couldn't agree more. Sigma missed the point of going mirrorless entirely by keeping the SA mount. They could've released an SA adapter along with the camera, and opened up the possibilities of using other lenses, and perhaps making a new series of smaller lenses. Would have made this a much more attractive value proposition. Once again Sigma's camera division shows how truly clueless they are on the marketing side. I'm guessing it's a division entirely run and operated by engineers.

Hulyss Bowman

View attachment 118629
Honestly I can't wait for the SDQ.

Foveon sensor with more DoF control and on sensor focus? count me in.
You are lying to yourself. The Quattro H is more close to APS-C than APS-H thus the Dof thing will be at best marginal. Having used an 1DMK4 for years with a real APS-H sensor ... the dof thing isn't that much pronounced compared to real FF.

So, for delicious bokeh and transitions it isn't in Sigma land one should look for.

Paul Monaghan

You are lying to yourself. The Quattro H is more close to APS-C than APS-H thus the Dof thing will be at best marginal. Having used an 1DMK4 for years with a real APS-H sensor ... the dof thing isn't that much pronounced compared to real FF.

So, for delicious bokeh and transitions it isn't in Sigma land one should look for.
I'm used to using the DP cameras with fixed f2.8 lens, the SDQ-H with the 18-35 and 50-100 f1.8 (assuming the coverage is ok) is going to give me much more DoF control than the DP's and the on sensor AF should help with focusing at such apertures which I found difficult at times on the SD1M.

Not that shallow DoF is always something that I am after, the DP's have leaf shutters which I find invaluable when doing strobe work but who knows I'm going to inquire to see if it would be possible to get a replacement IR glass that also has some ND element :)

*note* I had FF years ago with the d3, and again now with an a7rII (going to be my bayer body backup for SA lens).

biglouis

Interesting.

I was blown away by the Hasselblad announcement. In an ideal world - where the UK economy is not about to tank - it would be my next camera.

Then I remembered the forthcoming SD Quattro and Quattro H.

Just saying.

LouisB

capital

Sigma announces pricing and availability for sd Quattro and EF-630 flash: Digital Photography Review
www. dpreview. com/news/7456364718/sigma-announces-pricing-and-availability-for-sd-quattro-and-ef-630-flash
Note: Not sure how to get the forum to properly link the above URL, anyways, head over to dpreview.com to get the press release.

Seems it is a bit cheaper than I expected at $799 USD body only for the SD Q.

B&H Photo is indicating:
Dimensions (WxHxD) 5.8 x 3.7 x 3.6" / 147.0 x 95.1 x 90.8 mm
Weight 22.05 oz / 625 g without battery and card

Sigma Appears to have issued a Usage Notice regarding lens compatibility, remove the space in the URL
www .sigma-photo.co.jp/english/new/new_topic.php?id=593

And very oddly they are saying some of the native Sigma lenses will have AF accuracy issues or they recommend using manual focus... uh oh. This seems to negate the reason for retaining the SA-mount and perhaps partly explains the low pricing.

Last edited:

Hulyss Bowman

The low pricing is explained by the low price of a Quattro sensor batch. If the H is around 1k it will be cool but... I was commissioned yesterday on an add photo-campaign. The weather was bad, contrasts was high and I used some kinds of fireworks and multiples exposures (long and short) ... a real mess in a very short time. I did this with a D810 and got some key files underexposed, impossible to reshoot because limited fireworks. Hopefully, recovering those files was just as easy as possible with NO loss of IQ so the job is done. There is no way actual Foveon tech can shoot such work (merrill or quattro). I do not think that the H will bring much more latitude and it is a bit sad for pros who BEG to use such tech on stage but CAN'T.

Will be attentive of this AF issue and hope some art lenses will work good on the H. Might be, AGAIN, a good landscape only camera.

Ho... just seen the list ... It is a SHAME for macro work ... what the hell are they doing ??

biglouis

The low pricing is explained by the low price of a Quattro sensor batch. If the H is around 1k it will be cool but... I was commissioned yesterday on an add photo-campaign. The weather was bad, contrasts was high and I used some kinds of fireworks and multiples exposures (long and short) ... a real mess in a very short time. I did this with a D810 and got some key files underexposed, impossible to reshoot because limited fireworks. Hopefully, recovering those files was just as easy as possible with NO loss of IQ so the job is done. There is no way actual Foveon tech can shoot such work (merrill or quattro). I do not think that the H will bring much more latitude and it is a bit sad for pros who BEG to use such tech on stage but CAN'T.

Will be attentive of this AF issue and hope some art lenses will work good on the H. Might be, AGAIN, a good landscape only camera.

Ho... just seen the list ... It is a SHAME for macro work ... what the hell are they doing ??
Hulyss

Surely it is "horse for courses". I shoot mainly landscape and urban landscape. Tripod or handheld. The Merrills and Quattros are fine for that. Anything that requires hi-iso or speed - they are not the right camera.

Does this mean you are not interested the SD? or the SD-H?

LouisB

Hulyss Bowman

The SD Q is useless in my book. I'm waiting pplbuying the SD H and if it is better and "good" I might buy it but the might come with a big "M".