The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma sd Quattro H

Quentin_Bargate

Where the Merrills really scored, and the Quattros flopped, was with monochrome conversions.

The Merrills are top mono performers with low noise and outstanding tonal gradations. Have the new Sd Quattros cured the Quattro weakness in that regard?

Divisions. DP2M

Last edited:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
At 51 MP and EUR 1300, it seems to be the poor man's DMF.
Being a 'lefty', I doubt the 'odd' position of the EVF.
Exactly. Bolted to a tripod in a studio, shooting tethered, it's hard to see how anything else comes remotely close. Add the 24-35/2.0 and 50/1.4 for architecture and portraits respectively, and I would pretty much be covered for most slow occasions. Tempting, very tempting :)

Arjuna

bolted to a tripod, in a studio, for things that don't move, I suspect that a Pentax K1 with pixel-shift would come more than close.

ggibson

Yeah, using DPR's comparison of the K1 pixel-shift mode to the Quattro H, I think I have to give it to the Pentax. The results from that camera look really nice. That said, the QH could probably improve if SFD was used, and Pixel Shift can be really limiting for anything outside of a studio.

I played around with the DNGs from DPR's review of the H, and I came away with mixed feelings. On the plus side, processing them is really quick in Lightroom and the results do have that "Sigma" look. The workflow for importing is seamless, and the DNG can be losslessly compressed to around the same size as the X3F with a quick click after import. There is good control over noise reduction and sharpness, although no amount of tweaking could bring the DNG to exactly the same place as the X3F. I found the most pleasing results were with Luminance NR kept low (<5), and Color NR around 30-40. Even so, unfortunately to me the DNG exhibited some color shifts and even what look like sensor "hot spots" that don't appear in the X3F (strangely, they show up in the JPEG though). There were also color differences between SPP and LR that I couldn't seem to reconcile, and both were off in different places from the benchmark camera colors. Overall I think DNG would be what I would choose to shoot 95% of the time if I bought a Quattro, but it was kind of disappointing that I still preferred SPP's output. If anyone has Lightroom NR/sharpness/color settings for Quattro DNGs that they like, I'd be interested to test them out.

Knorp

Yeah, using DPR's comparison of the K1 pixel-shift mode to the Quattro H, I think I have to give it to the Pentax. The results from that camera look really nice. That said, the QH could probably improve if SFD was used, and Pixel Shift can be really limiting for anything outside of a studio.

I played around with the DNGs from DPR's review of the H, and I came away with mixed feelings. On the plus side, processing them is really quick in Lightroom and the results do have that "Sigma" look. The workflow for importing is seamless, and the DNG can be losslessly compressed to around the same size as the X3F with a quick click after import. There is good control over noise reduction and sharpness, although no amount of tweaking could bring the DNG to exactly the same place as the X3F. I found the most pleasing results were with Luminance NR kept low (<5), and Color NR around 30-40. Even so, unfortunately to me the DNG exhibited some color shifts and even what look like sensor "hot spots" that don't appear in the X3F (strangely, they show up in the JPEG though). There were also color differences between SPP and LR that I couldn't seem to reconcile, and both were off in different places from the benchmark camera colors. Overall I think DNG would be what I would choose to shoot 95% of the time if I bought a Quattro, but it was kind of disappointing that I still preferred SPP's output. If anyone has Lightroom NR/sharpness/color settings for Quattro DNGs that they like, I'd be interested to test them out.
Absolutely, the K1 is also very tempting ... :facesmack:
So, I guess a K1 v QH showdown is being called for: who will be volunteering ?

:watch:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
bolted to a tripod, in a studio, for things that don't move, I suspect that a Pentax K1 with pixel-shift would come more than close.
And this day started so nicely, sun is shining, plans for new camera seemed pretty clear.... and now this... Pentax clouds over the horizon :ROTFL:

I must admit that I didn't compare with the Pentax. Done it now. Yes, they are better. Both have advantages. Need time to think again :facesmack:

Pentax support in this country is, at least from what I've heard, terrible. My dealer can get it for me, but I'd probably have to use the back entrance, wearing a brown paper bag over my head.

Quentin_Bargate

Pentax K1. Used in pixel shift mode (and the raw files developed in software that supports those files AND can handle minor movement within the image, like a waterfall - SilkyPix is an good choice) will comfortably out resolve a 50mp medium format camera. I know, because I too was curious and have done that comparison between a tripod mounted Fuji GFX and 32-64mm lens, and a Pentax K1 with Pentax 15-30mm zoom, (both at F8 and shot at roughly comparable focal lenghths around 25mm equivalent). Pixel shift is like a free in-camera upgrade to around 65mp or more, and no moire at all.

The K1 is also built like a tank, tough and weather sealed. If I sound like a fan, I am, (also of the excellent Fuji GFX, but that is another story).

Stoneage

The Merrills are top mono performers with low noise and outstanding tonal gradations. Have the new Sd Quattros cured the Quattro weakness in that regard?
Hell no! You have to choose between sandy (luma noise reduction zero) or posterisation (due to luma NR)
And of course no "blue layer" effect in the monochrome mode.
I know, some people say that the noise is film-like, but in my opinion the Quattro-noise is extremely "digital".