Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Sigma SD Quattro price announced

  1. #1
    Senior Member Tim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Adelaide, SA
    Posts
    1,038
    Post Thanks / Like

    Sigma SD Quattro price announced

    Interesting price notice on the Sigma SD Quattro at $800. (assumed this is US$) or bundled with the Art 30mm for $1K.
    Sigma Announces Pleasantly Low Price for sd Quattro Mirrorless Camera

    Noted that this is not the H variant.

    I can't help but compare the size of the SD Q with the X1H just for the fun factor.

    Top - Compact Camera Meter
    Front - Compact Camera Meter

    There is non-theless a big gap in the price.
    It would be curious to see prints from both side by side.

  2. #2
    Senior Member darr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    North Florida
    Posts
    949
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sigma SD Quattro price announced

    Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    Interesting price notice on the Sigma SD Quattro at $800. (assumed this is US$) or bundled with the Art 30mm for $1K.
    Sigma Announces Pleasantly Low Price for sd Quattro Mirrorless Camera

    Noted that this is not the H variant.

    I can't help but compare the size of the SD Q with the X1H just for the fun factor.

    Top - Compact Camera Meter
    Front - Compact Camera Meter

    There is non-theless a big gap in the price.
    It would be curious to see prints from both side by side.

    Hi Tim,

    As you say, it would be interesting to see pics from both these cameras. I am on the fence about buying another Sigma camera. I enjoy my DPM trio, especially for traveling, and my SD1M kit and DPQ0. But I recently rented the new X-Pro2 from Fuji and really like it. I do need a camera that works in low light, so I am just standing back as a spectator for a while. I hope the X1D turns out to be a fantastic camera since I have never lost love for Hasselblad even after 30 years of shooting their cameras. I currently shoot wth the CFV50c and it is a beautiful sensor.

    I do hope the new Sigma cameras turn out to be spectacular, but I am a bit surprised at the price. I do not know how to take it; either they have discounted it because of the Fuji and other new cameras, or it is lacking in some way. Hopefully my fears are wrong. But, I still enjoy the Sigma gear I have and as long as I shoot within a set of parameters, nothing in its size can come close.

    Kind regards,
    Darr
    "Creativity takes courage." ~ Henri Matisse
    Darlene Almeda, photoscapes.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  3. #3
    Senior Member Hulyss Bowman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,085
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sigma SD Quattro price announced

    The sdQH will have the same size. That said, between the SDQ (even the H) and the XD1, there is an ocean of differences is favour of the XD1. Comparing them at an IQ level is plain silly (as well at feature level). We can compare the price and yes, this is the only advantage for the sd. What achieved hasselblad is just superb and it is a dream camera for landscape, true 16 bit colour depth, 50 well resolved MP, huge latitude and clean files from ISO 100 up to 6400 (even more than a D810) and MF presence even if small MF. 60 minutes of exposition without trigger, no shutter so no vibrations, video, weather resistant body AND lenses, superior batteries, clean UI and tactile screen, lighter than a SdQ, 1/2000 flash sinc... the list is long and yes, we can't compare those two cameras. OK, it come at a premium price but it is not that expensive in MF world.

    For anyone wanting to go serious in photo production I can only recommend people to invest in the XD1 because it is a major tool for many years to come without any problems (no moving parts also). That + a modern APS-C (fuji or whatever) and your good for 10 years.

    For anyone who want to continue to cope with strange raw developers, wasting time in mastering the un-masterable, fighting highlight issues and poor DR with grad filters and hours of pp for "ok" results, then yes, a sigma camera will do the job, but you will suffer.

    So sometimes one can ask himself a question : "Should I invest in a real professional camera even if it's costly or should I stay in my sub par niche with my dreams, hopes and twisted forum specialists ? " Because SIGMA cameras are fun tools, for sure, but in no way really future proof your work.

    The hassy is expensive but photography is expensive, very. If photography is you true passion and major source of income... the Hassy is the best tool (and can be paid in 2.5/3 years).

    TIP: If you work as an author or as a professional with State councils or big associations or big industry you can ask them to pay the camera for you in exchange of you work on a certain period (or number of missions). Of course your work and skills should be up to the task. For me it will be this way for example. An organisation pay me the camera and lenses in exchange of 20 missions. It's a good deal for them and a good deal for my passion.


    (EDIT: ) Hope nobody comes here with extrapolations from raw-therapy or whatever because this is not how it work in the real world when you should produce files in a given time and at a given quality. Anyone who experienced the "stress" of a commissioned shoot know you can't mess up manipulating files for hours because it is not that good at first...
    Last edited by Hulyss Bowman; 27th June 2016 at 01:30.
    Kind regards - Hulyss - hulyssbowman.com

  4. #4
    Senior Member Hulyss Bowman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,085
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sigma SD Quattro price announced

    Actually the SIGMA cameras are absolutely necessary in the market for two reasons :

    # Learning :

    The SIGMA dp or sd are good tool for photo students, are not expensive for a first experience, are kind of hard to master (good thing for students) and can produce high quality files. After that it is deliverance for them if they jump on a professional platform such as Canon, Nikon or even more, MF.

    # Experience :

    For the ones who never used a foveon camera it is a good experience, very exotic, to buy one and use it in conjunction with another system.

    If anyone wonder why Sigma have often problems with lens QC here is the answer : Their trucks are often attacked by monsters.

    Last edited by Hulyss Bowman; 27th June 2016 at 01:53.
    Kind regards - Hulyss - hulyssbowman.com

  5. #5
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,490
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: Sigma SD Quattro price announced

    Quote Originally Posted by Hulyss Bowman View Post
    After that it is deliverance for them if they jump on a professional platform such as Canon, Nikon or even more, MF.
    Interesting how you make a jump to CaNikon or MF.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Tim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Adelaide, SA
    Posts
    1,038
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sigma SD Quattro price announced

    Quote Originally Posted by Hulyss Bowman View Post
    The sdQH will have the same size. That said, between the SDQ (even the H) and the XD1, there is an ocean of differences is favour of the XD1. Comparing them at an IQ level is plain silly (as well at feature level). We can compare the price and yes, this is the only advantage for the sd. What achieved hasselblad is just superb and it is a dream camera for landscape, true 16 bit colour depth, 50 well resolved MP, huge latitude and clean files from ISO 100 up to 6400 (even more than a D810) and MF presence even if small MF. 60 minutes of exposition without trigger, no shutter so no vibrations, video, weather resistant body AND lenses, superior batteries, clean UI and tactile screen, lighter than a SdQ, 1/2000 flash sinc... the list is long and yes, we can't compare those two cameras. OK, it come at a premium price but it is not that expensive in MF world.

    For anyone wanting to go serious in photo production I can only recommend people to invest in the XD1 because it is a major tool for many years to come without any problems (no moving parts also). That + a modern APS-C (fuji or whatever) and your good for 10 years.

    For anyone who want to continue to cope with strange raw developers, wasting time in mastering the un-masterable, fighting highlight issues and poor DR with grad filters and hours of pp for "ok" results, then yes, a sigma camera will do the job, but you will suffer.

    So sometimes one can ask himself a question : "Should I invest in a real professional camera even if it's costly or should I stay in my sub par niche with my dreams, hopes and twisted forum specialists ? " Because SIGMA cameras are fun tools, for sure, but in no way really future proof your work.

    The hassy is expensive but photography is expensive, very. If photography is you true passion and major source of income... the Hassy is the best tool (and can be paid in 2.5/3 years).

    TIP: If you work as an author or as a professional with State councils or big associations or big industry you can ask them to pay the camera for you in exchange of you work on a certain period (or number of missions). Of course your work and skills should be up to the task. For me it will be this way for example. An organisation pay me the camera and lenses in exchange of 20 missions. It's a good deal for them and a good deal for my passion.


    (EDIT: ) Hope nobody comes here with extrapolations from raw-therapy or whatever because this is not how it work in the real world when you should produce files in a given time and at a given quality. Anyone who experienced the "stress" of a commissioned shoot know you can't mess up manipulating files for hours because it is not that good at first...
    Hulyss, you make an interesting case, we only live one life after all.
    I have not been a fan of the Sigma change from Foveon to Q sensor so won't be investing in the SD Q.

    For me I have to choose to afford the X1D. Right not its tough financially, as I am purely amateur i have to justify to myself, I feel my images are not worthy.
    Perhaps if Fuji do a MF either fixed or not under US$5K I will have a chance.
    i have long looked even to try the Pentax 645D. Yes the Pentax D, but size is what lures me to the X1D.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Hulyss Bowman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,085
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sigma SD Quattro price announced

    Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    Hulyss, you make an interesting case, we only live one life after all.
    I have not been a fan of the Sigma change from Foveon to Q sensor so won't be investing in the SD Q.

    For me I have to choose to afford the X1D. Right not its tough financially, as I am purely amateur i have to justify to myself, I feel my images are not worthy.
    Perhaps if Fuji do a MF either fixed or not under US$5K I will have a chance.
    i have long looked even to try the Pentax 645D. Yes the Pentax D, but size is what lures me to the X1D.
    You can't judge if your photos are worthy or not. The goal is to produce and gain skills with years. A camera like the XD1 can be a lifelong companion. His sensor is one of the bests not saying about the lenses. His resale value will also change the second hand market on MF.

    Concerning the fuji, I fear a Xtrans... same oddity as a foveon with some caveat too. I don't expect it below 6K and even more hype marketing around it. I think Hasselblad kept low profile and simple on this one.

    When you have a good tool you can make a better work than with a lesser tool.

    The price of the sdQ is much lower because the cost of fabrication is very much lower; also the cost of the quattro sensor is very much lower. If Sigma can, for one invest in SPP to make it a real unbiased powerful raw developer ... with framing tools and at least 21th century UI... But they do not really care imho.

    Now the XD1 is here the 645D/Z are dinosaurs.
    Kind regards - Hulyss - hulyssbowman.com

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    108
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sigma SD Quattro price announced

    Quote Originally Posted by Hulyss Bowman View Post
    The price of the sdQ is much lower because the cost of fabrication is very much lower; also the cost of the quattro sensor is very much lower.
    I'm not sure about the Q sensor. Yes, it might be a bit cheaper than Merrill. But i still think it is more expensive than an APS-C Bayer sensor. And the DP Quattros are also not really cheaper than the DP Merrills.
    I think the SD Quattro comes at this low price because Sigma would not sell them at 1500 USD, so they make the body cheap and hope to sell more Sigma mount lenses. (Like cheap printers with expensive ink)
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  9. #9
    Senior Member Hulyss Bowman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,085
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sigma SD Quattro price announced

    Quote Originally Posted by Stoneage View Post
    I think the SD Quattro comes at this low price because Sigma would not sell them at 1500 USD, so they make the body cheap and hope to sell more Sigma mount lenses. (Like cheap printers with expensive ink)
    Probably
    Kind regards - Hulyss - hulyssbowman.com

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •