Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: SD Quattro early lemon review -

Post Thanks / Like

Re: SD Quattro early lemon review -

It is better (hopefully with the lense used) but still, Merrill do it, even better, with a more compact form and more natural rendering. This photo is so flat ... No Quattro picture can sale me yet.

Have a look at DPreview Sigma forum. Start to be funny. It seems that the commercial samples in Japan have electronic problems thus triggering vast complain on Japan web and Amazon

Yeah, earlier today there were like 30+ 1-star reviews on Amazon.co.jp because of the freeze issue, Now there is a single 2-star review that just notes it as a problem then praises the camera otherwise and Amazon locked reviews to require approval.
    THIS is why ppl in France who was invited is Paris last Wednesday to test the camera were not able to take the photos with them Or to manipulate too much the devices.
    Kind regards - Hulyss - hulyssbowman.com
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

A bit more than 4 seconds in good light with no wind and/or foliage in the scene. This how SFD work and this is what come closer to Merrill out of a quattro. Nice try Sigma but give us our sensor back please.

Post Thanks / Like

Meanwhile, my guard is extremely motivated. He decided to travel back in time to annihilate every people related with sand. He said "Sandy ??" She said "أيو"... He sent me this selfie via FTTP (file time transfer protocol). I told him he is not the terminator but he wont listen to me anymore. SIGMA give us our sensor back !! He is coming for you !

Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I saw the last post and was quite confused. Then i went and started reading tbe whole thread.

You guys are a riot!

I am rating this thread a 5* only for humor.
    Sale Items (http://www.getdpi.com/forum/gear-fs-...8806-sale.html)
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hulyss, that poor girl from Sigma quality control team has nothing to do with Quattro development. Your guard needs to convince these three guys of the true Foveon X3 color supremacy:

CEO, GM and VP are quite convinced they are heading in the right direction according to the interview they gave to IR: http://www.imaging-resource.com/news...e-conventional
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hulyss Bowman View Post
    A bit more than 4 seconds in good light with no wind and/or foliage in the scene. This how SFD work and this is what come closer to Merrill out of a quattro. Nice try Sigma but give us our sensor back please.

Huylss,
    you have landed your Starship on this building. Do you have a permit?
    At least you do have the ports closed on your six Laser Cannons.

Post Thanks / Like

Why did you modified the original picture Malina ???

Here is the original !

Post Thanks / Like

This is the true picture from the quatro presentation^^
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Find the big number !

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

336.51mb

Post Thanks / Like

You win !

For this quality ? blimey that's a world record

Post Thanks / Like

What is the quality like?

Post Thanks / Like

Like this ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Like this ...
    For 7 bracketed exposures... it is not bad for a landscape shot. How many days does it take to open one such SFD raw file in SPP?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Malina DZ View Post
    For 7 bracketed exposures... it is not bad for a landscape shot. How many days does it take to open one such SFD raw file in SPP?
    Well, from my point of view it is pretty bad. Take a DP2 Merrill and bracket 3 shots then merge them in PS; you'll have a far more natural look, yet probably even more sharp. there is also a space-time anomaly in the center of the picture, on the tower.

As I said... 336 Mb for that ? you gotta kidding me ! Since the picture is very dark I assume that in day light it might reach 400 Mb +.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, from my point of view it is pretty bad. Take a DP2 Merrill and bracket 3 shots then merge them in PS; you'll have a far more natural look, yet probably even more sharp. there is also a space-time anomaly in the center of the picture, on the tower.

As I said... 336 Mb for that ? you gotta kidding me ! Since the picture is very dark I assume that in day light it might reach 400 Mb +.
    I agree with Hulyss, you'll get equal or probably even better results using the DP2M. Possibly even doing a panorama with a DP3M.

It is worth remembering the Camera Store review of the DP2M and especially the end part where they produce massive prints from the DP2M.

LouisB

Post Thanks / Like

SFD

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I've seen some SDQ images taken with the Sigma macro lenses that look quite good. If I do purchase either the Q or H it would be for use primarily as a full spectrum camera with the IR block filter removed, but I would need to see some FS images from these cameras first.

180mm Macro

70mm Macro
    Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scho View Post
    I've seen some SDQ images taken with the Sigma macro lenses that look quite good. If I do purchase either the Q or H it would be for use primarily as a full spectrum camera with the IR block filter removed, but I would need to see some FS images from these cameras first.
    A wise decision. I've been searching the Sigma sites for anything that says, or even implies, that the dustcover is actually an IR blocker. Lots of people have assumed that it is but nowhere in the Sigma literature does it actually say that sd Q models can shoot full spectrum. If they have exactly the same sensor as the dp models then, obviously, they can not shoot full spectrum.

A gentleman in Japan has posted on DPR a couple of times but has yet to step outside and shoot some greenery as I asked him to do.
    Last edited by xpatUSA; 27th July 2016 at 07:51.

Post Thanks / Like

...My personal guard is quite upset and already craft a landing barge to raid Japan. He want a big DP2s.

a supporter

Post Thanks / Like

Re: EPIC FAIL

That escalated rather quickly ...

diglloyd: Sigma sd Quattro Here: X3I Files Introduce Ultra High Dynamic Range (SFD) mode.

What Sigma has never understood is that a product succeeds or fails as a whole.

Post Thanks / Like

I really wish there was a dislike button. So long all.

Lee

Post Thanks / Like

Whats the problem? Tu use X, click X
    tomorrow I send the sibling of the supporter

Post Thanks / Like

I always appreciate the honesty of Lloyd Chambers.
    Sorry for the broken links to my photographs due to Dropbox policy changes.
    Gallery/500px
    http://pixelquality.blogspot.ch

Post Thanks / Like

Well... the guy is right. We reached masochism level 60 here. For the average IQ delivered by the Quattro it absolutely not worth the hassle. Llyod use computational power way beyond common mortal people. His mac system is maxed out at all levels and yet, the app is slow as hell (AND CRASH...). I understand his frustration.

SIGMA is the only camera maker who disappoint me that much. Even more, it exasperate me because I was fervent evangelist of the brand back in the days with Rytterfalk. The only thing who come close, in my experience, was a famous enterprise in gaming industry who has gold between their hands. Every thing was just over fine till they messed up the product so much that now,on the web, you find numerous dedicated forums to bash this very enterprise, full of marketing lies, full of PR. Consumers got pissed big times, betrayed. Of course, we can still see a dozen of masochists continuing again and again to defend what can't be defended.

Sigma as the date of today is in the same league IMHO. The Quattro sucks, the whole system is broken by now. Yes it make pictures (hopefully) but we are so far to what it was ...

The reviews show so much gruesome lifeless pictures... Clarity is gone.

SIGMA need to know they should back pedal and iron a real 64bit software who at least allow cropping (and multi-core usage ...).

We can expect such blind behaviour from big rich brands, but no. Big brands seems to listen consumers more than sigma ever did.

Post Thanks / Like

SIGMA need to know they should back pedal and iron a real 64bit software who at least allow cropping (and multi-core usage ...).
    The funny thing is: It does "use" multi-core.

Sigma said, that the Quattro-decision was also to improve performance, but SPP 6.x with Quattro files is even slower than Merrill files on SPP 5.5.3.
    This is unbelievable. The files are not bigger.
    And i use a 12 core (24 threads) Mac Pro.

Regarding image quality: The quattro is special (or weird). It looks like it was made for test charts. The parts who are perfectly lit and in focus show an impressive amount of detail.
    The spray of sand™ looks like, or increases the feeling of sharpness. But if you lift shadows a bit or look at out of focus areas or slightly blurred corners, you see the whole mess.
    It looks so technical, with no soul.
    Test charts are usually perfectly lit and in focus, so the crowd will take this as a proof that Quattro is better than Merrill.
    Gallery/500px

Post Thanks / Like

That is so sad ...

My Fujigma 3M is gathering dust actually but I know, as a photographer, that this camera as well as the DP2m will stay at the pinnacle of eye dazzliness. The SD1 fit in this category now, with the art lenses.

SIGMA, innovation do not mean MESS. You messed up on this one, BIG time. Aren't you ashamed to see that most sigma users over this little planet are all about the Merrill ? the 1/1/1 structure ? Buying second hands DPm and new SD1m if they can ? That the quattro is bashed ?

For God shakes you are opticians !! Craft yourself some pair of glasses if you can't see it !!

Post Thanks / Like

supporter 2 is not that strong but cruel

Post Thanks / Like

If you are in a one way street it doesnt help to go to the other side of street, but Sigma hopes so.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneage View Post
    Regarding image quality: The quattro is special (or weird). It looks like it was made for test charts. The parts who are perfectly lit and in focus show an impressive amount of detail.
    The spray of sand™ looks like, or increases the feeling of sharpness. But if you lift shadows a bit or look at out of focus areas or slightly blurred corners, you see the whole mess.
    It looks so technical, with no soul.
    Test charts are usually perfectly lit and in focus, so the crowd will take this as a proof that Quattro is better than Merrill.
    The sad part of all these Quattro compaints, usually justified, is that the underlying principle is perfectly sound!

We all watch TV without complaint. We happily post images that are sub-sampled 4:2:0 JPEGs and they look just fine unless one goes seriously low on the % quality slider.

So maybe they haven't got the conversion quite right yet?

Certainly the raw layer renditions in RawDigger are not particularly unusual - apart from those lines of stupid over-exposure detection pixels in the top layer.

I repeat, the principle of luminance plus two sub-sampled color channels is as old as the hills, so something must wrong elsewhere IMHO.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe I'm missing something, but I disagree that the Quattro shadows are worse than Merrill. From comparisons I've seen of the various DP Qs (not test charts only, but dark and light areas of real-world scenes both under and over exposed), the Quattro shadows are pretty similar to Merrill. Sigma claimed the Q had better low light performance, and I'd say Merrill output has a bit more color splotches in those dark areas, but they are close enough to be on the same level I think. Overall, from what I have seen compared of Quattro vs. Merrill, Q always has better colors whereas the M usually has a stronger micro-contrast bite to it. That is very general though, and certainly some prefer one or the other. On the whole, I think both retain a look that is completely different from Bayer. I was not disappointed by the Q look in the least when I had one, and in fact I prefer it in A/B comparisons usually (against M).

Now when it comes to the SD Q, I'd really be surprised if the output was significantly different from any of the DP Qs. The SD Q with 30/1.4 should be pretty similar to a DP2Q at f8. I'll wait to see that comparison, but now that they're shipping units out I'd expect to see one soon.

In any case, as LC posts, Sigma's major failing is SPP. I can't imagine what it'd be like editing a 400mb x3i file, yikes. Even 60MB Q raws are taxing on my brand new computer. Well, SPP 6.4 hasn't crashed on me yet at least when I've revisited my old DP2Q shots. But this step in post processing is painful enough that I've stuck with Sony cameras for now. The keeper rate can be really low, and it takes so much effort to go through your shots after the fact. Sometimes I think the SPPain is worth it though. Those shots that I NAILED with the DP2 Q are really beautiful and special.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/grahamgibson/

Post Thanks / Like

Nice try to prevent harakiri of the Sigma guys, hope it works^^

Post Thanks / Like

Ephotozine review:

https://www.ephotozine.com/article/s...o-review-29673

Comments are pretty much as expected, and I'm actually a bit surprised they gave it a 4/5. They have some studio comparison scenes that you can browse against older reviews.

Post Thanks / Like

When you stop pointing out the blatant flaws of the "Faux-Veon", aka Quattro, you'll see many threads titled : " I love my Quattro camera", "I just love my SD-Q ......." or "SD Quattro first run. A fantastic camera" or "Fastest Sigma Camera Yet" ...

Of course, those threads are supported by some ugly pictures, in the photographic world of today.

But a guy came with this picture : http://www.d-motions.de/sigma/FoveonComp.jpg

What can we say ? I'm in love with my 1.5MP X530. Of course this example isn't very representative but let say the X530 is a velvia digital camera (like the SD9). It give you something unmatchable by other cameras, at all level : A soul.

Same goes for other cameras straight to the SD14.

Of course the Merrill have his own merits but when we come to the Faux-Veon... It's like the picture was took with an another brand camera.

So of course some self proclaimed morons (it need courage) try, desperately, to defend the quattro saying that it is not fair for the quattro because the exposure isn't the same blablabla ... SHUT UP !! Sharpness noise and details have NOTHING to do with exposure or a cloud in the sky. Like the Merrill, it is all about steadyness and since those cameras was on a tripod, we can't "arg".

This camera have lost every bits of originality and authenticity. The picture who look "fine" on the web, as you should all know, have been heavily processed.

Have a go on the Bay and buy yourself an X530. You'll see what I mean. You'll enjoy this camera, far more than any quattro or art lenses just because you snaps will have the true foveon soul.

http://www.jansphotoblog.de/reviews/cameras-2/cameras/

Post Thanks / Like

Have a go on the Bay and buy yourself an X530. You'll see what I mean. You'll enjoy this camera, far more than any quattro or art lenses just because you snaps will have the true foveon soul.

http://www.jansphotoblog.de/reviews/cameras-2/cameras/
    I had a look about but could not see any. Must be rare by now?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

X530 at just 1.5mp is pushing it. A Merril has 15mp of Foveon goodness, and in combo with a compact pano head, does it almost all.

The Quattro is junk. Let's forget about it and move on.
    Quentin Bargate
    Co-Founder of Ajuve, Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2016, Photographer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Quentin_Bargate View Post
    X530 at just 1.5mp is pushing it. A Merril has 15mp of Foveon goodness, and in combo with a compact pano head, does it almost all.

The Quattro is junk. Let's forget about it and move on.
    Steady on Quentin :-)

There has been some good stuff posted in the Facebook Sigma Camera Users Group from early adopter of the SDQ.

And I'm still banging away with the DP0Q. In fact as I will announce shortly my first published book coming out in September features a number of photographs taken with the DP0Q which turned out fine.

Just saying.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by biglouis View Post
    And I'm still banging away with the DP0Q.
    Louis, how do you find carrying the DP0Q? Does it go in a bag or backpack, and during shooting does it feel large on a strap?
    As the shape of the thing is long in both direction of lens and body it seems it may be somewhat unwieldy compared to the Merrills.
    Of course in fairness there is no 21mm equiv Merrill so its a unique thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by biglouis View Post
    Steady on Quentin :-)

There has been some good stuff posted in the Facebook Sigma Camera Users Group from early adopter of the SDQ.

And I'm still banging away with the DP0Q. In fact as I will announce shortly my first published book coming out in September features a number of photographs taken with the DP0Q which turned out fine.

Just saying.
    Louis

You're taking good shots despite, not because of, the Quattro!

I may look at the weird Higher resolution HD Quattro, or whatever it is called, when released out of curiosity.
    Quentin Bargate
    Co-Founder of Ajuve, Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2016, Photographer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    Louis, how do you find carrying the DP0Q? Does it go in a bag or backpack, and during shooting does it feel large on a strap?
    As the shape of the thing is long in both direction of lens and body it seems it may be somewhat unwieldy compared to the Merrills.
    Not replying on behalf of Louis but I too had a DP0Q out of curiosity for the wider angle that it offered over the Merrill's. I found the shape unwieldy, the body was plasticky and I really disliked using the LVF-01 so bought the VF-51 viewfinder instead. Before too long I found the Quattro output to be inconsistent. I sold it and then bought an SD1 Merrill instead which I've been pleasantly surprised by given what I'd read about slowness and auto focus issues. The VF-51 is still unsold should anyone be interested in what is a high quality optical viewfinder.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by digi2ap View Post
    Before too long I found the Quattro output to be inconsistent.
    This is it in a nutshell. The moment one deviates from very good light, ISO 100, apertures smaller than f6.3 (for my dp0Q) it all goes to rat sh!t. In specific conditions the Quattro will do well and make good photos and occasionally make exceptional photos. And as for images of people in general street scenes, I've yet to see a good image from a Quattro. See these grabs from the link Hulyss posted above http://www.d-motions.de/sigma/FoveonComp.jpg They are typical of what I get even in good light. The SD1(M) is much better in the link provided. I'm now extremely selective of what I photo with my Quattro and unless the Gods line up and everything is perfect, I don't bother even trying.

Finally, below is a sd Quattro photo by Lea Tippett posted on DPreview. I think the setting and the composition are excellent, the colours and exposure are dramatic but the technical quality of the image leave me cold. When I saw it was low light and shot at f/11 at 1/5 sec with a Quattro, I knew straight away what to expect when looking at the photo a bit closer. Perhaps under these low light conditions all cameras would struggle and I'm being unfair to Lea and Sigma for posting this but it is instructive. Photo below with some 100% screen grabs under.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Just to be not too down on the Quattro sensor, here is a shot that did work (I think!) and the colours are excellent. Previously posted in the dp0 Quattro thread.

And here is a 100% screen grab

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nice shot, ruined by the camera.

You could take the same shot at 1600 or 3200ISO on the Pentax KI and get much better blotch free results. At 200ISO it would be essentially noiseless. Use pixel shift with the KI and what minimal noise there is, if any, will be eliminated, and you get an image comparable with a 60 or 70mp Bayer sensor.

Quote Originally Posted by furtle View Post
    This is it in a nutshell. The moment one deviates from very good light, ISO 100, apertures smaller than f6.3 (for my dp0Q) it all goes to rat sh!t. In specific conditions the Quattro will do well and make good photos and occasionally make exceptional photos. And as for images of people in general street scenes, I've yet to see a good image from a Quattro. See these grabs from the link Hulyss posted above http://www.d-motions.de/sigma/FoveonComp.jpg They are typical of what I get even in good light. The SD1(M) is much better in the link provided. I'm now extremely selective of what I photo with my Quattro and unless the Gods line up and everything is perfect, I don't bother even trying.
    Quentin Bargate

Post Thanks / Like

You could take the same shot at 1600 or 3200ISO on the Pentax KI and get much better blotch free results. At 200ISO it would be essentially noiseless. Use pixel shift with the KI and what minimal noise there is, if any, will be eliminated, and you get an image comparable with a 60 or 70mp Bayer sensor.
    Hello Quentin, Thanks for your comments. Dunno about pixel shift with a panting dawg!

Do you mean blotching in the background of the dog shot?
    Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    I've got used to the fact that it is unwieldy and I generally take it out on its own in a small sized crumpler bag which it occupies quite well. I also need to take my Lee ND grad as well. I look on it as being my 4x5 equivalent camera. You'd pretty much have to take that out on its own, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by digi2ap View Post
    Not replying on behalf of Louis but I too had a DP0Q out of curiosity for the wider angle that it offered over the Merrill's. I found the shape unwieldy, the body was plasticky and I really disliked using the LVF-01 so bought the VF-51 viewfinder instead. Before too long I found the Quattro output to be inconsistent. I sold it and then bought an SD1 Merrill instead which I've been pleasantly surprised by given what I'd read about slowness and auto focus issues. The VF-51 is still unsold should anyone be interested in what is a high quality optical viewfinder.
    It is surprisingly plasticky. The LVF-01 is an acquired taste, I quite like mine.

True but I am never going to buy another camera of that price without an EVF. These old analogue viewfinder cameras need to be consigned to the last century where they belong :-)

Why on earth N and C have not given us a world-class mirror less interchangeable camera is beyond me.

LouisB

Post Thanks / Like

Finally, below is a sd Quattro photo by Lea Tippett posted on DPreview. I think the setting and the composition are excellent, the colours and exposure are dramatic but the technical quality of the image leave me cold. When I saw it was low light and shot at f/11 at 1/5 sec with a Quattro, I knew straight away what to expect when looking at the photo a bit closer. Perhaps under these low light conditions all cameras would struggle and I'm being unfair to Lea and Sigma for posting this but it is instructive. Photo below with some 100% screen grabs under.

Steve

The last time I saw grain like that it was at Don McCullin's 80th birthday exhibition where they were asking 10,000 or more for the print. That did include a frame, as well.

Just saying.

LouisB

Post Thanks / Like

Hello Quentin, Thanks for your comments. Dunno about pixel shift with a panting dawg!

Do you mean blotching in the background of the dog shot?
    I'm sure he meant the landscape shot, not the dog. The dog photo looks good.
    A very nice and friendly looking companion, by the way.
    Gallery/500px

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: SD Quattro early lemon review -

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneage View Post
    I'm sure he meant the landscape shot, not the dog. The dog photo looks good.
    A very nice and friendly looking companion, by the way.
    Ah, ok. Not the pic of the mutt. She's great. I was looking after her whilst her owners were on their hols. She's very friendly unless you're a rabbit in range; then she's deadly.
    Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Back on a serious note, here is a very honest review of the Faux-veon :

http://www.exposedmoment.com/2016/09...ro-review.html
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Back on a serious note, here is a very honest review of the Faux-veon :

Eugene Fratkin Photo Blog: Sigma SD Quattro Review
    Thanks for finding this pretty blunt review. Other than what look like focusing problems, a couple of lines stood out for me:

"If one is able to avoid shadows, high dynamic range, direct light and fine detail with high contrast, Quattro images are very sharp with high resolution and contrast."
    This is very true of my dp0 Quattro.

On the 1:1:4 sensor " it represents a cop out for Foveon sensor model and clear move towards Bayer-like architecture.

Of course, when moving towards Bayer sensor all subtleties of working with Bayer sensor also become relevant. Words like "moire", which used to be be dirty words in Sigma forums, are better become very familiar to Sigma users."
    Steve