The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

SD Quattro early lemon review -

Hulyss Bowman

On a good note, I can say that SIGMA is making efforts in many domains, because all of this isn't nothing. For me the Quattro is an error, an IQ betrayal but it is not the general opinion so this is good for them. It won't be the same success as the Merrill, period.

Highlighting the unpardonable flaws is a way to push them to invest more in their cameras. After all, it is just about money, but they are long BECAUSE of their philosophy to make all in Japan.

If they craft a very super camera (they can) they'll need to invest an enormous amount of money to have all in Japan in + of their lenses factory, and then think scale economy. Need to hire a bigger team, more engineers, buildings, machines ...

I hope it is in there plans.

xpatUSA

It is why ppl would pardon Sigma if they came with a big fat optimized Merrill. But what if they did ? <>

Why not an in camera TIFF or DNG engine ????
For DNG, which seems to be designed implicitly for Bayer CFA cameras, the standard Adobe DNG tags are not suitable for decoding Foveon's image data.

For example, the SD10 meta-data has a camera-to-XYZ (approx D55) 3x3 matrix. Then a set of 3x3 WB correction matrices. Then two matrices for transformation either to sRGB or to Adobe RGB.

The DNG format provides just one camera-to-RGB matrix and a simple diagonal matrix for WB correction (or something like that: I find Adobe's DNG specification almost unintelligible !!). My point here being that, by virtue of it's format, DNG is intrisically unable to provide a DNG reader with sufficient meta-data to produce a good review image.

Kalpanika (Roland Karlsson and Co.) recently developed a converter and found great difficulty reverse-engineering Sigma's tags and matrices. In the end, their DNG turned out to be the Linear type, with the Foveon image data partially processed to match the Linear DNG format. Unfortunately, there are many applications that either will not recognize Linear DNGs or will not open them incorrectly.

Kalpanika's converter can also produce TIFF files which are usually OK but adjustments like WB are pre-selected and can not be changed later, unlike in SPP.

[edit]

Some more sd Quattro images can be found here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/kazua0213/

Last edited:

Hulyss Bowman

Now have a look at this picture taken by Tiger1 on DPreview with the SD1m and probably no big adjustments :

Right click show picture.

With a Merrill it is like looking trough SWAROVSKI lense.

Hulyss Bowman

So I downloaded most of his photos. We can note that the guy do not even compare with previous IQ hence the whole Merrill line vanished from his page. We are so with someone completely creamily dedicated to sigma.

Few photos are "good". Many aren't at all (magenta cast, underexposure ...). There is a new function in the SDQ named tone control. A sort of DR amplifier like X3 fill light embed inside the body. This function was not used here and it is the first function I would have tested :D

BUT

If you look for example at the full size flower explain me how we can had more noise to noise ? Is it noise into noise or noise under noise ?

So many will invest in the new ART lenses (after testing some samples) while ppl who have 35 years old Nikkor 50f1.2 can max out the D810 sensor at f2. I smell a villain trick. What should think actual sigma users who own pre art sigma lenses (macro lenses excluded) ?

Hulyss Bowman

Yes, and it seems the 30mm Art lens isn't good enough for the SDQ. The 24-35 looks much better.
I edited my post to "good" only. Landscape with the 24-35 water-paint in the corners. Foreground are sandy. HOOOOOOOOoooo :bugeyes::bugeyes:

♥♥ SANDY ♥♥

I will call the Quattro Sandy now. Far more appropriate.

Hulyss Bowman

Hulyss Bowman

It is better (hopefully with the lense used) but still, Merrill do it, even better, with a more compact form and more natural rendering. This photo is so flat ... No Quattro picture can sale me yet.

Have a look at DPreview Sigma forum. Start to be funny. It seems that the commercial samples in Japan have electronic problems thus triggering vast complain on Japan web and Amazon :deadhorse:

Yeah, earlier today there were like 30+ 1-star reviews on Amazon.co.jp because of the freeze issue, Now there is a single 2-star review that just notes it as a problem then praises the camera otherwise and Amazon locked reviews to require approval.
THIS is why ppl in France who was invited is Paris last Wednesday to test the camera were not able to take the photos with them :p Or to manipulate too much the devices.

Hulyss Bowman

A bit more than 4 seconds in good light with no wind and/or foliage in the scene. This how SFD work and this is what come closer to Merrill out of a quattro. Nice try Sigma but give us our sensor back please.

Hulyss Bowman

Meanwhile, my guard is extremely motivated. He decided to travel back in time to annihilate every people related with sand. He said "Sandy ??" She said "أيو"... He sent me this selfie via FTTP (file time transfer protocol). I told him he is not the terminator but he wont listen to me anymore. SIGMA give us our sensor back !! He is coming for you !

V

Vivek

I saw the last post and was quite confused. Then i went and started reading tbe whole thread.

You guys are a riot! :ROTFL:

I am rating this thread a 5* only for humor. :clap: :)

Tim

A bit more than 4 seconds in good light with no wind and/or foliage in the scene. This how SFD work and this is what come closer to Merrill out of a quattro. Nice try Sigma but give us our sensor back please.

Huylss,
you have landed your Starship on this building. Do you have a permit?
At least you do have the ports closed on your six Laser Cannons. :ROTFL: