Site Sponsors

Thread: Sigma SD14

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sigma SD14

Since I bought the Sinar multi-shots back I figure the SD14 would be an interesting camera to compare with the 4 shots mode. Once both systems arrived, I would like to see how they fair out. Anyone else out there is into Sigma SD14 besides me?
    ALPA (MAX, STC, TC) | CAMBO (Actus DB2, WRS-AE) | CONTAX | HASSELBLAD | LEICA | DB (CFV-16, CFV-39, IQ180, IQ360, IQ3100, P45+) | Lens (Canon, Fujinon, Leica, Nikon, Pentax, Rodenstock, Schneider, Zeiss)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Sigma SD14

I would like to see how the Sigma SD14 files measure up to the Leica M8 file. If anyone has this experience, I would love to hear it.
    ALPA (MAX, STC, TC) | CAMBO (Actus DB2, WRS-AE) | CONTAX | HASSELBLAD | LEICA | DB (CFV-16, CFV-39, IQ180, IQ360, IQ3100, P45+) | Lens (Canon, Fujinon, Leica, Nikon, Pentax, Rodenstock, Schneider, Zeiss)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ok, I guess I am going solo on this one. I got the camera but no lens yet. I am looking into the Sigma lens and the macro lens seems to be a great choice. I know we can convert some of the Canon EF lens to Sigma SA mount. The question is which Canon EF lens can be converted to Sigma SA mount?

Post Thanks / Like

Son
    can the 54H be used on the Contax as well?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Victor,
    Yes I have adapter plate interface for the Rollei 6008 and Contax 645 systems. But in order to use this Sinar 54H digital back in multi-shot I have to tape the mirror up.
    Son

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ok, I finally got some sleep and took the first test image of the SD14 at ISO 50 with the Leica Apo-Summicron-R 2.0/180. The noise is extremely well control with this first sample and the color seems accurate for AWB. I need to work on the resolution next. More test to come later. The Leica Apo-Summicron-R 2.0/180 was shot at F2.0.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

When using medium format digital back especially with the 9 micron pixel size, I have encountered moire problems. I want to see if the Foveon Sensor can eliminate the moire phenonemon. In this test, I do not see the common moire problems, color and patterns. The image was also underexposed by 2.5 f stops and was compensated in the post process. I used the Rodenstock lens and my customed auto bellows to acquired the image. The f stop was wide open at F5.6 if stop down the lens would be even sharper. No sharpening was applied to the image.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I just took a look at the Sigma SD14 site. It took a lot of digging to find the specs.

How big are the files from it? How do the files look now that you have had a chance to shoot with it a bit?

Robert

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Pham Minh Son View Post
    Ok, I finally got some sleep and took the first test image of the SD14 at ISO 50 with the Leica Apo-Summicron-R 2.0/180. The noise is extremely well control with this first sample and the color seems accurate for AWB. I need to work on the resolution next. More test to come later. The Leica Apo-Summicron-R 2.0/180 was shot at F2.0.
    Have I understood you correctly? Did you mount the Leica lens on the SD14? If so, How did you do that? Is there an adapter available?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jorgen, meet Son... Son has custom adapters to mount almost anything to almost everything else
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

SD14 ISO 50 + Apo-Rodagon-D 5.6/120 @ F8 and no sharpening was applied.

Last edited by PSon; 4th December 2007 at 20:30. Reason: for clarity

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by robsteve View Post
    I just took a look at the Sigma SD14 site. It took a lot of digging to find the specs.

How big are the files from it? How do the files look now that you have had a chance to shoot with it a bit?

Robert
    Rob,
    The file with 16 bit is 26.7 MB or its dimension is 2640x1760
    Son

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

What I like about the Apo-Rodagon-D 5.6/120 on the SD14 is the accuracy of colors, clarity and resolution in close macro distance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

RobSteve,
    You asked me before somewhere regarding to the larger image circle of the Leica Apo-Summicron-R 2.0/180. Here is the stitch two shots, center (left) and right shift all the way to the end of the image circle (right). The right side of this stitched image show that the Leica Apo-Summicron-R is sharp all the way to the border of the image circle but vignetting and distortion start to appear (see images below). The image was taken at F2.0 and no sharpening was applied. The image was resize for web upload.
    Son

Last edited by PSon; 5th December 2007 at 05:03.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

here at closer magnification, the Leica Apo-Summicron-R 2.0/180 start to attenuate resolution and increasing color shift with a gain of less distortion (see images). This time the image was a result of left shift, center and right shift frames. Due to diffraction limit on smaller sensor size, I attempt to use the biggest aperature as possible but compromise for depth of field due to close up macro distance. In this case the image below was stitched together from 3 images at F8. Again, there is no sharpening applied.

Last edited by PSon; 5th December 2007 at 05:18.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Again, the Apo-Summicron-R 2.0/180 is extremely sharp wide open but when using it or any other non macro lens beyond its optimal close distance, the color shift is increased (go back and compare the images presented above from the Leica versus the Rodenstock lens). This is why I am not a big fan of using extension tube to get closer to my subject if the lens is not a macro lens. On the other hand the duplicated, enlarging, and macro lens shines in extremely close up distance and the more the extension tube length is added the better the results in general; all lens are optimized at certain magnification ratio and any deviation from it will lead to optical aberrations.
    -Son
    Last edited by PSon; 5th December 2007 at 05:28.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

How are you doing the shifts with the Leica lens? I assume you loose infinity with your shift adapter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by robsteve View Post
    How are you doing the shifts with the Leica lens? I assume you loose infinity with your shift adapter.
    Robert,
    I wanted to answer your question and due to the time constraint, I designed a quick setup to shift my SD14 camera instead of the lens so I can stitch easily on PS. In this setup, I attempted to prove the theory that no matter how good the lens is, if the lens is not a macro lens the color will shift and the resolution will attenuate in a positive relationship to the length of the extension tube. I then compare these results with the Rodenstock Apo-Rodagon-D (D for Duplication and N for englarging) 5.6/120.

When I get the chance again, I will characterize the outer edge of the image circle of the Leica Apo-Summicron-R 2.0/180 at infinity for you.

-Son

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    Jorgen, meet Son... Son has custom adapters to mount almost anything to almost everything else
    Ah... I see. That's good to know

Am I right in assuming that a converter from R to Sigma needs a lens element to enable infinity focus?
    Last edited by Jorgen Udvang; 5th December 2007 at 20:21.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jorgen,
    There is no element involve in the adaptation for the Leica R lens to the Sigma body.
    Son

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi,

New poster here. Just a little info that you may already know:

The filmplane to flange register on the Leica R is 47mm on the Sigma it is 44mm as it is on the Eos. No optical elements are required when the camera using the lens has a shorter or identical register as the camera from which the lens comes.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    Ah... I see. That's good to know

Am I right in assuming that a converter from R to Sigma needs a lens element to enable infinity focus?

Post Thanks / Like

But who makes such an adapter? R tp Sigma SA?

Son?

Post Thanks / Like

What about the mount diameter? There are situations where the lens has a large mount diameter and the camera a small mount diameter, so that even if the lens registration distance is longer than the camera's, an adapter would still not be possible.

Post Thanks / Like

yes, true. But Sigma makes canon mount lenses and I cannot believe thay are that far off. There could be an issue of some vignetting

I actually have a Kodak slrc that is supposed to be a sigma body. It comes in canon and nikon mounts. I cannot believe the sigma lenses are that far different, as 36x24 dictate the geometry, but nothing like trying

Say, are you the person who does the magical adapters?

regards
    Victor

Post Thanks / Like

The Sigma SA mount, being physically similar to Pentax K, has a significantly smaller diameter compared to Canon EF.

If Leica R to Pentax K adaptation is possible, so would be Leica R to Sigma SA.

Post Thanks / Like

as long as the light path is ok should be no issue. Not all the exit is used anyway, it depends on light path geometry. I dont think there are Leica to pentax adapters commercially available

why not use a hassey lens? I thiunk there ARE HB to Prntax k
    Last edited by gogopix; 30th April 2008 at 07:49.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, Son; Kit here.

Can you make a list of what wide–normal lenses can be mounted to the SD-14, and some idea of what an adapter would cost?

The SD-14 are ~500 USD right now, and are a true bargain, IMHO. No AA filter, Foveon sensor, an IR cut filter that can be removed instantly, simple controls.

I am thinking of an SD-14 with approximately a 35–40mm EFOV lens (1,7 crop factor). A lens with a DOF scale would be nice...

I had an SD-14, and it's no low-light camera, to be sure, but it is very sharp without processing. I just got a DP1, so my mind is turning in this direction.

Post Thanks / Like

i think the sd-14 could be the next "DMR" in the sebse of a camera and look that will startle people . right now, it is the glass that is holding it back.

gotta get it on a leica r mount or at least a eos mount that cab adapt to r
    the Kodak SLRc had eos mount why cant sigma do that?

my offer is open; 1,000 to the first mount that can handle R glass on the sigma (500 for a hasselblad to sigma; cummon, that's gotta be a piece of cake

Post Thanks / Like

oops
    take that back on the hb to sigma (already did it ; i guess I can pay myself the $500!

anyway, aboutb that R glass on Sigma?

Post Thanks / Like

so, i guess there is little interest in this camera, at least here.