The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma sd Quattro Images

scho

Heavy weathering on an old boxcar. Detail shot with sd Quattro H + 24-105 A. Processed in Lightroom from OOC DNG file.

scho

A shot taken with the Sigma 8-16mm lens on the sdQH with WonderPana filtration system. The latter is a new design with integrated locking collar so mounting and unmounting can be done with the lens on the camera. Shot below was taken with the NDG SE 0.9 rectangular filter and 145mm circular polarizer. Filter holder can also be used on other lenses that are threaded for filters by using step rings.

Shot at 10mm but cropped to 4:3 because of corner vignetting. The 8-16 is best used at 12-16 to avoid this issue when using with the H sensor.

scho

Is that a can of Renaissance polish reflected in the filter?
Yes, it is. I use it on glossy canvas prints that are framed without glass. Gives some protection from fingerprints and dust will not adhere to the print.

bensonga

I am very late to the sdQ and surprised that the last post here was in February 2017...2 years ago.

I just received my sdQ with the 30/1.4 Art lens today. While I love the simplicity, small size and image quality of my DP Merrills, I am happy to have an EVF and much larger battery on the sdQ.

I look forward to trying it out in the days ahead and have been inspired by the many excellent photos posted here.

Contemplating a future lens purchase...perhaps the 24-105 Art.

Gary

PS: I have already made a first print from one of the few sdQ images I took today. Looking good so far.

bensonga

Some of you may know that when I get a new camera or lens I often take a few test photos of a mural painted on the wall of Pete's Smoke Shop in Anchorage. The colors, especially on a grey winter day in Alaska, are enough to brighten my day.

This was the first image from my sd Quattro that I printed this evening. These colors are very true to life. This is one of the things I've always appreciated about the Sigma Foveon cameras I have.

Gary

sdQ, 30mm f1.4 Art lens, ISO 100, 1/400th at f4

bensonga

I love the many colorful images posted on this thread. Unfortunately, at this stage of the winter in Anchorage, color is hard to find (aside from the Pete's Smoke Shop mural). I'll have a few images to share later with more color than these.

That said, I couldn't be happier with the sd Quattro and 30mm f1.4 Art lens. For the price of $899 USD new, I can't think of ANY camera/lens combo that can deliver this image quality (except for a dp Quattro and dp Merrill).

Gary

Ford Truck, crop from the original JPG, minor adjustments to levels, no additional sharpening, re-sized to 2048 pixels on the long side. ISO 100, 1/1000th at f7.1

Ford Truck 100% crop, as above.

Last edited:

bensonga

As promised...a little more color in this image. ;)

I fully expect that Sigma will release an improved Foveon FF sensor for its L-mount camera, but even if it is simply a FF Quattro sensor in an updated L-mount mirrorless camera, I would be happy with that and almost certainly buy it too.

Gary

sd Quattro, 30/1.4 Art, ISO 100, 1/1000th at f7.1, converted from Raw with SPP 6.6.1
Minor adjustments to levels and slightly reduced saturation, resized to 2048 pixels on the long side

Last edited:

bensonga

A winter scene from Alaska with some color.... :)

I like this camera enough to have ordered a second lens for it today...the Sigma 24-105/4 Art.

IH Tanker, sd Quattro, 30/1.4 Art lens, ISO 100, 1/800th, f6.3, X3F converted with SPP 6.6.1, minor adjustments to levels etc, Re-sized to 2048 pixels on the long side

bensonga

However the images may look on a digital display, whether large 4k screen, high res computer monitor or tablet/phone, for me the ultimate test and goal is a print.

I've been very happy with the 11x17 and 13x19 inch prints I've made from the sd Quattro images, including this one.

Next test is a 17x22 or 17x25 inch print (the largest I can make with my Epson P800).

Gary

This Illinois Central RR container has been sitting in this same spot for so many years.
sd Quattro, 30mm f1.4 Art lens, ISO 100, 1/1000th at f7.3, X3F converted to TIF with SPP 6.6.1, minor adjustments in PS.
Printed tonight on Ilford Gold Fibre Gloss 13x19 inch paper. It will be submitted as 'bonus' print for a 13x19 print exchange.

Last edited:

bensonga

I don't have another sdQ image to share just yet, but I had an interesting (to me) experience comparing 17x25 inch prints of the Imaging-Resource.com still life test images from a dp2 Quattro (standing in for the sdQ and 30/1.4 Art lens), Fuji X-T3, Nikon D500 and D810.

I printed the IR still life ISO 100 images without any adjustments (other than re-sizing to 16x24 inches at 360 dpi) on RRP San Gabriel Baryta paper. I then asked my wife (who has a critical eye and has looked a many prints over the past 20 years) to rank them from 1-4 on overall quality (color differentiation, highlight/shadow and ability to discriminate and record fine details etc). Of course, she did not know which image/print was from which camera in advance.

Her ranking was from best to less good was:
1) Sigma dp2Q
2) Nikon D810 (a very close 2nd)
3) Fuji X-T3
4) Nikon D500 (more color aliasing seen in the very fine lines on the PS 69 Proportional Scale)

This confirms my experience that the DP Merrill and now also the Quattro series cameras can hold their own very well (at low ISOs) with the 36mp FF Bayer sensor cameras I have used (D800e and the D810).

Gary

bensonga

UPS delivered the 24-105/4 Art lens I had ordered to Stewarts just before I left Anchorage on my way home. I had a chance to take a few snapshots before the light faded.

Gary

Ship Creek and the Port of Anchorage

Hard to keep a car clean here during the winter.

Last edited:

B L

UPS delivered the 24-105/4 Art lens I had ordered to Stewarts just before I left Anchorage on my way home. I had a chance to take a few snapshots before the light faded.

Gary

Ship Creek and the Port of Anchorage

Hard to keep a car clean here during the winter.

These images look so detailed and I think comparable to larger sensors tha what Sigma installed in their cameras.

bensonga

One more snapshot with the sdQ and 24-105/4 Art lens from my stop at Ship Creek yesterday.

Very glad I got this lens.

Gary

furtle

Not contributed recently. Here is one of St George's Church, Brailes, Warwickshire. Yes, the walls are bowing outwards!