The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

SIGMA Photo Pro 6.5 software download

Hulyss Bowman

Whether it works or not, it is just sad for a Japanese company like Sigma to decide to not support previous cameras anymore. If some guys without (I think) huge resources made something like Kalpamilka, able to to output DNG out of merrill and previous models, WHY THE HELL Sigma isn't able to do it ?

Because they do not want it. Meanwhile, all other company on this archipelago continue to support their own camera since the first age of digital capture, even Fuji continue to provide firmwares for the "old" XT-1 while they already moved to an another sensor design.

Also, when you look at DPreview and see such nonsenses ... sadness reach an another level :

Sorry morons ! No sigma cameras are made for studio photography (at least pro level photography and humans). A simple Nikon D3100 will do a better job.
I will change my mind when Foveaon goes FF and Sigma produce TS lenses, you know, for real studio photography... Morons !

... If i add to comment this one I would be banned.

We live in a world where unskilled, unprofessional, full of hot air pompous hobbyists want to tell us that a crippled strange APS-C camera with NO support of any kind from professional flash company or imaging edition software, is able and surpass all other well rounded cameras used by the most professional ppl around the galaxy. Just because of .... sharpness ? acutance ? wow !

Well... that's ok !

Stoneage

Anyone brave enough to try this out?
It also suggests improvements to noise issues in Quattro files.

LouisB

PS Decided I should be brave enough to try it myself. Can't say I notice much difference when processing my DP0Q files.
I tested an underexposed dp0 Quattro image with lifted exposure and shadows to examine the noise behaviour.
NR in zero position (middle) does add slightly more noise reduction. But i don't see better "quality" of the noise reduction, just a higher amount.
I would say, if you want the same amount of noise reduction as with 6.4.1, then you need to dial the luminance NR one step to the left.
With all NR settings set to "off" i don't see any changes in processing/rendering between 6.4.1 and 6.5

Regarding "speed": it's still slow as hell on my Mac. I don't bother to make measurements.

AndyPtak

Whether it works or not, it is just sad for a Japanese company like Sigma to decide to not support previous cameras anymore. If some guys without (I think) huge resources made something like Kalpamilka, able to to output DNG out of merrill and previous models, WHY THE HELL Sigma isn't able to do it ?

Because they do not want it. Meanwhile, all other company on this archipelago continue to support their own camera since the first age of digital capture, even Fuji continue to provide firmwares for the "old" XT-1 while they already moved to an another sensor design.

Also, when you look at DPreview and see such nonsenses ... sadness reach an another level :

Sorry morons ! No sigma cameras are made for studio photography (at least pro level photography and humans). A simple Nikon D3100 will do a better job.
I will change my mind when Foveaon goes FF and Sigma produce TS lenses, you know, for real studio photography... Morons !

... If i add to comment this one I would be banned.

We live in a world where unskilled, unprofessional, full of hot air pompous hobbyists want to tell us that a crippled strange APS-C camera with NO support of any kind from professional flash company or imaging edition software, is able and surpass all other well rounded cameras used by the most professional ppl around the galaxy. Just because of .... sharpness ? acutance ? wow !

Well... that's ok !
What is Kalpamilka, I've never heard of it. Anything to get me out of Sigma processing hell is worth knowing about.

Googled it and came up with nothing.

ggibson

According to sigma's website the SD Quattro will be getting a firmware update to allow for DNG output, so that's something. But what about the DP quattros? One would hope these would be getting the update as well.

I'm intrigued that the SD H will have DNG output at all. It's definitely a step in the right direction for making these cameras more usable, although it worries me that the files are only 12-bit vs. the 14-bit x3f. I wonder if that is by necessity or design...?

ggibson

What is Kalpamilka, I've never heard of it. Anything to get me out of Sigma processing hell is worth knowing about.

Googled it and came up with nothing.
He's referring to X3F Tools AKA Kalpanika. A dedicated group of Sigma users got together and created an X3F unwrapper executable you could use to batch process RAW files into TIFF or DNG format. I never really saw the appeal, since you can do basically the same thing with SPP (batch export to TIFF), but from what I've read some people like the output more than SPP. Not sure how well it works for each camera, since I think the project was abandoned about a year ago. Most people used it with Merrill cameras, though I've seen some DP2Q samples.

AndyPtak

He's referring to X3F Tools AKA Kalpanika. A dedicated group of Sigma users got together and created an X3F unwrapper executable you could use to batch process RAW files into TIFF or DNG format. I never really saw the appeal, since you can do basically the same thing with SPP (batch export to TIFF), but from what I've read some people like the output more than SPP. Not sure how well it works for each camera, since I think the project was abandoned about a year ago. Most people used it with Merrill cameras, though I've seen some DP2Q samples.
I have a couple of Merrills and SPP won't let me export any more than a few TIFF's at a time before it crashes - every time. Anything to save me from that pain is worth trying. I love the Merrills and would use them a lot more if it wasn't for this.

capital

I have a couple of Merrills and SPP won't let me export any more than a few TIFF's at a time before it crashes - every time. Anything to save me from that pain is worth trying. I love the Merrills and would use them a lot more if it wasn't for this.
This will probably help:

github.com/Kalpanika/x3f_wrapper

X3F Wrapper

This project offers the ability to quickly convert a directory filled with X3F images into jpgs, tiffs, or dng files, using the Kalpanika X3F Tools executable. In addition, this tool will copy exif information from the source file into the final image.

To set it up:

Download the binary file. (Only windows at this point, Mac and Linux coming soon).
Set up parameters (denoising, file output type, etc) in the preferences dialog, if you want something other than the defaults (denoised linear DNG).

As of version 0.56.2, both the x3f_extract.exe and exiftools.exe programs are installed in the release binary, and the default settings point to the distributed executables. If you want different versions of those executables, you can select them in the preferences dialog.

To run it: Either double click on individual files, or convert all unprocessed images via the button in the bottom right.

Please let us know if you have any issues with the conversion!

As an aside, I emailed Sigma Japan about supporting DNG export from within SPP, and they responded back saying that it is not possible. I do not know how the Sigma's DNG quality will turn out, but I can say that Kalpanika generated DNGs have a higher pixel-level fidelity than what SPP has done so far.

Stoneage

Kalpanika/X3F tools was not made for the Merrills but for Quattro. With the Merrills there is no flat field correction and you will have color casts depending on the lens.
For Quattro it works quiet well.

Hulyss Bowman

Looking at various forums around the world ... seems that this version of SPP isn't what ppl really expected. Numerous crashes, not that much performances increase. At least the results are constants since some years : Announcement >> expectations >> disappointment.

This start to be the conventional landscape in Sigmaverse so lets skip to point the flaws.

Just have a look and listen at the first seconds of this interview and you'll know (if you have some understanding in psychology) what is actually happening at Sigma actually:

In my opinion he is suffering from his past. There is a void somewhere and nothing can fill it. If he really want to please sigma users with top notch software and hardware... he can. It is just a corporate decision. Will he do it in the future for real ?

biglouis

I believe this is a strength of Sigma. A family business with a passion for photography. I'm not sure that any other camera manufacturer (possibly Leica?) has such a strong personal connection with the product. And of course dedicated to Kaizen.

However, I am not even sure why they are in the camera body business.

Their lenses are excellent and are a valuable competitor in this space. If only Nikon or Canon actually made a prosumer or professional mirrorless body, I for one would move over to their bodies and buy Sigma N or C mount glass tomorrow.

The Camera Store end of year video chose the 30/1.4 as one of the best lenses of the year, which I am sure is deserved.

I guess as Sigma camera users we all live in hope that the next iteration will finally be the holy grail.

Louis