The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

DJI Mavic Pro Shots

apsphoto

I have had a DJI Phantom 3 for over a year, and it is addictive. Before that I had one the used a gopro. The image quality from the DJI is far superior to any gopro.

Soapbox statement: For as much moaning and groaning about image quality etc, I am amazed that Hulyss will settle for a gopro, that has to be the worst image quality...... end of statement.

Making panos is a lot of fun, the larger drones are more stable if it gets breezy, a tablet is a wonderful control to be able to see and compose shots. I find a smartphone is just too small. I use an Ipad Air2, being able to get a good view and look at things like the histogram etc. is important when shooting with the drone. I would not fly and use a drone for photography without one.

Alan

biglouis

Am I right in saying that most of these drones use 1 inch or at most micro 43rds sensors?

Just saying... as a m43rds user...

LouisB

Hulyss Bowman

Soapbox statement: For as much moaning and groaning about image quality etc, I am amazed that Hulyss will settle for a gopro, that has to be the worst image quality...... end of statement.

Alan
I use drone only for video. I'm not attracted by aerial stills. I prefer renting an helicopter and a pilot for one hour and shooting my Nikon with my own fingers ;)

For video, the gopro hero 5 black is all but not bad.

ggibson

Am I right in saying that most of these drones use 1 inch or at most micro 43rds sensors?

Just saying... as a m43rds user...

LouisB
The Mavic Pro has a small sensor, like a phone camera/GoPro. It takes 12MP stills at 4000x3000 I believe.

The new Phantom 4 Pro has the 1" sensor that the RX100 series popularized. But the drone is much larger and 50% higher price.

The DJI Inspire series is much larger still and has different camera modules you can use, including m43 sensor mounts. But these are definitely pro level/size and can cost 5k+. Wait a couple of years and m43 mount drones may be in the $1k range, though they'll never be as compact as something like the mavic.

k-hawinkler

Thanks Quentin. Great shot. You finally pushed me over the line. :facesmack:

My DJI Mavic Pro should arrive next month.
I still have to decide which iPad or iPhone to use with the controller.
Here is my question, can their latest software handle an iPad in portrait orientation in the controller? TIA.

Quentin_Bargate

Thanks Quentin. Great shot. You finally pushed me over the line. :facesmack:

My DJI Mavic Pro should arrive next month.
I still have to decide which iPad or iPhone to use with the controller.
Here is my question, can their latest software handle an iPad in portrait orientation in the controller? TIA.
Thanks...and it was flying more than a mile away at the time, which is quite unnerving !

I have done a couple of video sessions but I use it mainly for stills. Although the camera is pretty good, it has poor dynamic range. Fortunately it will take a rapid set of bracketed exposures (3 or 5) to compensate.

Although it will soon become commonplace, I can get shots like the one I posted that have never or only rarely been taken before.

Like the view below of local countryside along the River Pant

biglouis

Dumb question but can the Mavic Pro only be controlled from Apple smartphones? I am an android user. Just asking - not very likely to get one (but on the other hand, never say never...).

LouisB

Hulyss Bowman

Dumb question but can the Mavic Pro only be controlled from Apple smartphones? I am an android user. Just asking - not very likely to get one (but on the other hand, never say never...).

LouisB
No Louis, the Mavic pro can be controlled with almost all modern smart phone and you can even pour a small tablet in the controller if you want, like an ipad mini or other asus things.

@Quentin,

I was wrong !! The karma is a FraudCopter it is a shame for go pro to release this kind of crap. The camera is good but they should stop trying to make drone...

So yea, actually, the Mavic is a wonderful option.

Quentin_Bargate

No Louis, the Mavic pro can be controlled with almost all modern smart phone and you can even pour a small tablet in the controller if you want, like an ipad mini or other asus things.

@Quentin,

I was wrong !! The karma is a FraudCopter it is a shame for go pro to release this kind of crap. The camera is good but they should stop trying to make drone...

So yea, actually, the Mavic is a wonderful option.
Hulyss, Louis

Mavic is one of the best pieces of industrial design I have ever seen. Nothing is perfect, of course, but the balance of size, convenience and quality is near perfect. I have flown it for a very considerable distance away and it still transmits and receives a signal. Quite weird because I cannot always see or hear the Mavic, but there it is on the PDA screen, doing exactly as instructed.

Works perfectly with my Samsung Galaxy S7 and my iPad.

Quality of the camera is pretty good, but avoid low light or noise becomes an issue. The camera has a fixed aperture of F2.2, but can either autofocus or you can manually focus. ISO range is 100-1600 I believe. Dynamic range is poor, but you have the option of 3 or 5 bracketed exposures that I have set up to be saved as DNG raw files on the internal micro SD card. I have had several images from it accepted for stock, and it is easily good enough for that. I have been quite tempted by the Inspire 2 for advanced results but decided against because of the sheer size of the thing.

One warning: you will crash the thing at some stage. Just try and avoid a write off when you do!

And DJI have allegedly acquired Hasselblad...

M

mjr

Great images Quentin, this is a very tempting buy for the price. I have been looking very hard at the Inspire 2, it's a beast but the X5S camera is a real option image quality wise, especially with the ability to use different lenses, it brings high quality stills much closer than previous options of mounting a dslr to a larger drone. This Mavic has also excellent reviews and the images you posted have a nice quality to them. I have found the prices with the Inspire to be quite high, people are buying the bundles which seem like a better deal but for stills, it is much cheaper to buy the drone and camera, forgetting the codec keys, ssd's etc. it actually becomes reasonable. I am only really interested in it for stills but there is always the option to add to the setup in the future should high quality video become a necessity. The Mavic is compelling for video though, lots of good stuff coming out of DJI at the moment.

Enjoy using it!

Mat

Quentin_Bargate

Mat,

Use the Mavic carefully and it is capable of great saleable results. Sure, an Inspire 2 with its optional 5k camera is better, but it is not something you can backpack with. It is a beast. I will take the Mavic on a countryside walk or trip along with my main camera gear.

It is mesmerising. Truly.

k-hawinkler

So, I finally got around to setting up my Mavic Pro that arrived at my doorstep in February. :eek: :grin:
Here is an image inspecting my roof after the hail storm we had a couple of weeks ago.
Sandia Peak near ABQ is visible at the horizon to the right.

Mavic Pro, ISO 100, f/2.2, 1/845 s, 4.7mm (28mm FF equivalent FOV).

stngoldberg

The 20 MPX camera on the new DJI Phantonm 4 pro plus drone is really good.
Could we set up a catagory for Drone Photography?
Stanley