The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma battery question

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Is the Sigma BP-51 (the battery of the Sigma DP0-3 Quattro) and Panasonic DMW BLC12 (the battery of the Panasonic GX8, G85 and others) the same battery? Can the Sigma battery be used in Panasonic cameras and vice versa?

biglouis

I use the batteries for my Sigma DP0Q, Panasonic GX8 and Leica Q (and the 3rd party ones) interchangeably.

(Incidentally, the fact that the Panaonic and Leica batteries are identical is even more evidence of the collaboration between the companies).

I even charge them in each others chargers.

Looking at the specs on the back of each battery they are identical.

It is very convenient even if I did not choose the cameras for this reason.

On top of that my Sigma DP2M, DP3M and Ricoh GR also share the same battery.

The only battery out on its own at present is the battery for my GX80.

LouisB

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Thank you Louis. I've been tempted by an assortment of Sigma cameras throughout the years, but I have a feeling that the temptation may become too much soon. The SD Quattro H might become my studio camera, but I won't count out a DP3 Quattro for casual portrait work. The results I see from these cameras are very good, and when I mentioned the possibility of buying one to the shop who take care of my camera needs, they were unusually and unexpectedly enthusiastic. Sigma distribution in this part of the world is taken care of by Shriro, the former Hasselblad owner and current Hasselblad distributor in Southeast Asia, so everything should be in the best hands on that side as well.

This will have to be a few months into the future, but the thoughts alone are quite interesting :)

biglouis

Jorgen, I believe the battery for SD series is different to the Quattro series - in case you are not aware of that.

LouisB

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Jorgen, I believe the battery for SD series is different to the Quattro series - in case you are not aware of that.

LouisB
I know, but the SD will mostly live in the studio, so no worries, not unless I start to like it so much that I start carrying it around. It would be an interesting, although somewhat heavy, street camera with the 24-35mm f/2.

You see where this is heading, right :facesmack: :ROTFL: :chug: :banghead:

xpatUSA

LouisB
Getting confusing . .

I thought that the 'SD' series was pre-Quattro - SD9,SD10 . . SD1 Merrill.

I thought that the 'sd' series was Quattro - sd Quattro, sd Quattro H.

Not blaming you, Sigma could have been much sensibly with their model names. These days in the fora, "DP2" can mean any one of five models, for example. :(

Getting confusing . .

I thought that the 'SD' series was pre-Quattro - SD9,SD10 . . SD1 Merrill.

I thought that the 'sd' series was Quattro - sd Quattro, sd Quattro H.

Not blaming you, Sigma could have been much sensibly with their model names. These days in the fora, "DP2" can mean any one of five models, for example. :(
Following your logic "DP2" can only refer to 4 models since the Quattro is a dp2 ;)

xpatUSA

Following your logic "DP2" can only refer to 4 models since the Quattro is a dp2 ;)
Nope - in the DPR Sigma forum they say "DP2" even when referring to a Quattro, although you and I would not.

After being castigated over there for being too pedantic, I took to writing in all lower-case with no punctuation and deliberately bad grammar. Got castigated for that too.

These days I just amuse myself by seeing how many different ways I can refer to the latest Quattro - the one with the "big" sensor - the SD-q/h :D

Ted