The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with your Drone

DougDolde

I'm considering buying a drone. Seems like a lot more fun
than chasing megapixels especially by $medium $format.

Dunno if I should start with a Mavic Pro 2 or learn first with the Mavic Mini. What's the consensus advice?

Paul2660

I'm considering buying a drone. Seems like a lot more fun
than chasing megapixels especially by $medium $format.

Dunno if I should start with a Mavic Pro 2 or learn first with the Mavic Mini. What's the consensus advice?
Mavic Mini, is a glorified Spark. Only wifi, limited range (regardless of what DJI states), no raw, only jpg. Same old tired 1 2/3 sensor 12mp, with no real improvement. DJI's jpg engine IMO is very limited for still photography. I did not check to see if the mini has an adjustable aperture or fixed to F 2.8 like spark and Mavic Pro Platinum. Controller is like Spark, has no no screen, like MPP and M2 Pro/Zoom. Does help to have the small screen on controller at times. Smart controller is the best option IMO. Back to only one screen, but the setup time is quick, and you can easily see the screen in bright light.

I would start with a M2 Pro. Still not the best camera (you can take the Hasselblad name for granted). But excellent flight, wonderful range, and with Smart controller, a tool that can be easily carried over distances in a pack. Battery life is 23 to 25 minutes in reality.

Capture One does the best job with the raws, however they can take a good bit of work to really shine.

M2 Pro sensor is the same 1" that's in the Sony RX100 cameras, however don't expect the same ISO response. DJI's processor is limited more towards video response, and DJI really doesn't understand the needs for still work. Stay in the ISO 100 to 400 range, really more in the 100 -200, and F2.8 to F4 and results can be great. M2 Pro is very low noise, when compared to Spark or P4 Pro. Not sure if the mini will be like Mavic Air and Spark (high pitched prop noise very noticeable) or like M2 Pro, which make very little noise and is hard to hear over 200 feet up.

A drone can give you a wonderful new perspective on places you have shot for years.

Paul C

ggibson

I've been considering getting a drone for a while too. The Mavic Mini seems compelling as a starter option, but looking at the image samples and image modes it's pretty limited. Here's a link to a review's set of files for evaluating.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-OQFZ4FiHr5uSXuXWmXQkLaT8kbq_BXZ

Unfortunately, RAW, auto-bracketing, and burst are all missing on this model as well. Maybe the $400 Mini would let you evaluate whether to dive in at $1500 for the Mavic Pro 2, but I feel like renting the latter for a week would be more useful and satisfying. A drone feels like something I'd enjoy for a specific trip, not something I'd use more than a few times per year anyways.

scho

A six shot exposure bracket taken with the DJI M2P and processed with Photomerge in Lightroom. Taken last summer at Sodus Bay on Lake Ontario.

Greg Haag

Got my Mavic 2 Pro in this week, been trying to fly it for at least 15 minutes per day to get used to it and gain some confidence. This was behind our office today at about 200'. I have a lot to learn about processing these files.

IMG_0827.jpg

scho

A couple of images taken with the M2P at my home on south hill in Ithaca, NY. Both are 5 shot bracket HDR composites done in LR Photomerge. First image is looking north towards Cayuga Lake. Buildings near center of image are in downtown Ithaca and at far right corner part of the Cornell campus on east hill. Click image for full size.

Second image looking east towards Cornell campus on east hill.

scho

Another Ithaca view from south hill. Tried to catch the sunset but clouds didn't cooperate.