Site Sponsors

Thread: Fun with Your Drone

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Fun with Your Drone

Eisenhower House, Newport Rhode Island
    Stanley

From its perch above Narragansett Bay, Eisenhower House has witnessed nearly 140 years of history. The house was erected ca. 1873 as the commandant's residence at Fort Adams, an important citadel that was built to protect the bay and Newport Harbor from naval invasion. Newport architects George C. Mason and Son designed a substantial house outside the walls of the fort, and General Henry Jackson Hunt was the first in a long line of military officers to live here. In 1958 and again in 1960, the commandant's residence welcomed its most famous occupant, President Dwight D. Eisenhower.

The President spent his first summer in Newport in September 1957, when he resided at the Naval War College. Eager to return, he settled into the Summer White House at the commandant's residence at Fort Adams in August 1958. In a letter to Col. Edythe P. Turner, the President wrote:

As you know, we are spending our second summer "vacation" in Newport. This year Mrs. Eisenhower and I have managed to achieve a little more isolation than formerly, and–despite the fact that I have already been called back to Washington twice–I have managed to keep paper work to a minimum. Of course there are always trouble spots that give me great concern, but I have become reconciled to the fact that in this job there is always a crisis of some kind or other. I am trying to get in as much golf (of a rather poor variety) as possible and in general charge my batteries for the months ahead. [DDE to EPT, 9/15/1958]

Certainly there were crises and trouble spots during President Eisenhower's vacations. In September 1957, he was contending with the integration of Central High School in Little Rock, Arkansas. In September 1958, it was the Second Taiwan Strait Crisis. And in July 1960, it was Soviet interests in Cuba and Congo and a downed American patrol plane over the Barents Sea. But there was also time for golf at the Newport Country Club, movies and social calls, and visiting local attractions such as Colony House, Trinity Church, Touro Synagogue, and Washington Square.

President Eisenhower insisted that the demands on a President were no different during his summers in Newport, despite the "change of scenery." He said, "The White House office is wherever the President may happen to be." For the summers of 1958 and 1960, that happened to be the historic commandant's residence at Fort Adams, or as we call it now, Eisenhower House.

The United States Navy transferred Fort Adams and Eisenhower House to the State of Rhode Island in 1964 for use as a state park. Today Eisenhower House is a historic site listed on the National Register of Historic Places, and the property is the scene of many public and social events.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	19 x 11.5 Eisenhower House.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	513.8 KB 
ID:	129756  
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Fun with Your Drone

Sent my drone out 2 miles for this image
    This house does not have electricity
    Energy is provided by the windmill on the roof
    Stanley
    “THIS house is always going to have rough edges,” said Henry Wood, resting his frayed sneakers on a splintered pillar. “It’s never going to look like the Breakers.”
    It was another indecently beautiful day at Clingstone — a faded, shingled and, yes, very rough 103-year-old mansion set on a rock in Narragansett Bay — and Mr. Wood, its owner, was musing on what the place is not: specifically, that grander turn-of-the century folly in nearby Newport, a limestone-and-gilt palace built by a Vanderbilt in 1895.
    But in fact it’s the rough edges and salt-encrusted surfaces that Mr. Wood, a 79-year-old Boston architect, treasures most about Clingstone. For nearly half a century, he has kept them (more or less) intact, and the house standing, through his own hard labor and that of others. He and a crew of family and friends who share his passion for the place’s “deep bohemian funk,” as Nicholas Benson, a stone carver from Newport, put it, have dedicated their time and skills (plumbing and wiring experience are always particularly welcome) to keeping the place from slipping into the water forever

Name:	IMG_0398.JPG 
Views:	4 
Size:	530.0 KB 
ID:	129762  
    Last edited by stngoldberg; 5 Days Ago at 16:23.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Fun with Your Drone

Beacon Rock
    Stanley

Beacon Rock is situated on a promontory that towers over Newport Harbor offering incredible elevated views of the Bridge, Harbor, downtown, Fort Adams and Jamestown. The property has over two thousand feet of water frontage on Brenton Cove and Newport Harbor. Once the home of Felix deWeldon, creator of the Iwo Jima sculpture, the imposing McKim, Mead and White mansion has a grand central courtyard with classical collonade. There are six large bedrooms and three smaller ones with ten full baths and one half bath. The twenty-two thousand square foot structure was restored in 1997. A pool with unparalleled views of the harbor and bridge was added a few years later. A twelve-foot, deep-water dock, a fifty-foot sailing yacht, and sixteen-foot tender are also available for rent. There are 11 fireplaces, a formal reception room, a fully equipped chef's kitchen, staffs quarters, a marble spa, billards room with the finest finishes and materials

Name:	Beacon Rock.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	354.9 KB 
ID:	129766