The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ricoh GR-E rumors...

raist3d

A rumor has it that this very limitiation stopped Leica from having come up with their paper thin rangefinder camera and instead prompted focus on the exfoliating ones. :ROTFL:

Sony, who? :rolleyes:
Hehe. Not sure if your post is all joke or trying to make another point :) But funny anyway :)

- Ricardo

raist3d

That sounds like someone's wish list. One defining points about the GR series is its price (and size). I am not sure a price tag of $1,800 is going to satisfy current GR users (unless the "E" is for "expensive"). (I am also unsure how a crop mode is wider than the taking lens.)
Well, we could all get a Ricoh GR II or jump to something new, at a price. All manufacturers are looking up pricewise because at the bottom, mobile phones continue eating the market. And someone who really understands what a Ricoh GR represents- a niche camera made for photographers of which key aspects of its design- not just price- is what has made it popular in its niche, may very well fork the cash for a FF model.

I am one of them. I realize not everyone may be in that position, but at least it will force people to focus on a camera instead of buying jumping around :)

I suppose Ricoh could still make an APS-C model along but I doubt it. Maybe just continue the Ricoh GR II which is still fantastic.

As for the crop modes- the current Ricoh GR does the same. A Crop on the image to get the equivalent of 35mm or 47mm. You lose resolution. Which is another benefit of a FF 36 MP model- you can do any of these crop modes and still have quite a bit of resolution left.

- Ricardo

raist3d

Just to put a reminder forward for everyone in this thread- this is a rumor. It may be true, it may be part true, it may be true or part true further in the future than we would like or it may never come/or be true.

Just stating the obvious, but sometimes the obvious is forgotten with all the excitement :)

- Ricardo

Shashin

I suppose Ricoh could still make an APS-C model along but I doubt it. Maybe just continue the Ricoh GR II which is still fantastic.
I imagine the market Ricoh has in mind is the Japanese market. I would bet they keep the form that has brought the GR success without gambling on a 35mm version. There is not a huge market and those that like the GR are not looking for a Sony RX.

biglouis

One problem Ricoh face with a successor to the GR is how you make one of the most perfect cameras in the world better?

They could increase the pixels but the sensor in the GR is to my mind excellent and increasing the pixel count would inevitably increase noise.

They could fix minor annoyances about the buttons (I am always accidently pressing the +/- rocker with my thumb).

They could add 4K or something similar although why anyone would want to convert a photographer's tool into a pseudo-video tool is not obvious.

They could 'improve' the lens formula but for 99% of users I doubt you'd see the difference (and it would only be people addicted to charts rather than photography who would benefit).

They could add bluetooth but as wifi is already on the slightly upgraded release of a couple of years ago, I can't see why.

Increase LCD screen resolution?

Inbuilt pop-up EVF???

I know: a range of body colours! That's what we all want!

LouisB

raist3d

I imagine the market Ricoh has in mind is the Japanese market. I would bet they keep the form that has brought the GR success without gambling on a 35mm version. There is not a huge market and those that like the GR are not looking for a Sony RX.
But that's the point. A Ricoh GR-E as rumored *is not* a Sony RX. Not even in price :) It would still be a 28mm. It would still be small enough to be pocketable.

- Ricardo

raist3d

One problem Ricoh face with a successor to the GR is how you make one of the most perfect cameras in the world better?

They could increase the pixels but the sensor in the GR is to my mind excellent and increasing the pixel count would inevitably increase noise.
Well, if they could use that Sony 24 MP used in the Fuji X-E3 and Sony A6300, that could work. It's actually a bit lower noise and 24 MP. That "copper wire" thing.

They could fix minor annoyances about the buttons (I am always accidently pressing the +/- rocker with my thumb).

They could add 4K or something similar although why anyone would want to convert a photographer's tool into a pseudo-video tool is not obvious.
I don't think they will focus on video. I don't mind they add video just to record some quick reference animation but I don't want complexity built in this direction. In fact, the rumor says no video at all.

They could 'improve' the lens formula but for 99% of users I doubt you'd see the difference (and it would only be people addicted to charts rather than photography who would benefit).

They could add bluetooth but as wifi is already on the slightly upgraded release of a couple of years ago, I can't see why.

Increase LCD screen resolution?

Inbuilt pop-up EVF???
I think maybe a bit more speed. Maybe PDAF.

I know: a range of body colours! That's what we all want!

LouisB
OMG no :) haha

- Ricardo

Shashin

But that's the point. A Ricoh GR-E as rumored *is not* a Sony RX. Not even in price :) It would still be a 28mm. It would still be small enough to be pocketable.

- Ricardo
I am starting to suspect I know the person who started the rumor... ;):toocool:

Tim

Just to put a reminder forward for everyone in this thread- this is a rumor. It may be true, it may be part true, it may be true or part true further in the future than we would like or it may never come/or be true.

Just stating the obvious, but sometimes the obvious is forgotten with all the excitement :)

- Ricardo
I've examined the rumored specs and there are two or three clues in the specifications that tell me this rumor is likely to be true.
If you are experienced observer of the GR range some aspects stand out.
Its possible that the "rumor starter" carefully crafted the specs as to troll but to what end? so I doubt it's just trolling.

If it turns out to be true then I suspect an announcement will be around May or perhaps sometime just before Photokina.

I have been a long time GRD and GR user. I still have all of them, upgraded each time. (have a look at my long time avatar)
If it does surface it will once again be a unique device.

raist3d

I've examined the rumored specs and there are two or three clues in the specifications that tell me this rumor is likely to be true.
If you are experienced observer of the GR range some aspects stand out.
Its possible that the "rumor starter" carefully crafted the specs as to troll but to what end? so I doubt it's just trolling.

If it turns out to be true then I suspect an announcement will be around May or perhaps sometime just before Photokina.

I have been a long time GRD and GR user. I still have all of them, upgraded each time. (have a look at my long time avatar)
If it does surface it will once again be a unique device.
The fact Sony presented these sensors already back in 2014 is what makes me believe this to be possible. It's been what, 3-4 years now? Sounds about right.

I hope they announce by May! :)

Update: here's the Sony IEEE article - that was June 2014. And they presented a Full Frame sensor. This is enough time to bring something to market.

https://spectrum.ieee.org/tech-talk...reates-curved-cmos-sensors-that-mimic-the-eye

- Ricardo

ggibson

This is not specifically GR-E news, but Sigma's CEO provided some insights about curved sensors in a recent interview. One main problem he mentions is that it is very difficult to produce a curve that will match multiple lenses. This is why a curved sensor interchangeable lens system is difficult. A fixed lens camera is a better application, but Sigma needs to overlap its sensor production across all of its DP models to get costs down. With the DP series 4 lenses, they would need 4 different sensors instead of just one now which creates a volume issue. I'm hopeful Sony or Ricoh can reach enough volume with a single model GR or RX. Anyways, take a look at the article, the Sigma CEO always provides very frank and interesting information:

https://translate.google.com/transl...retien-kazuto-yamaki-sigma-opticien-capteurs/

This is not specifically GR-E news, but Sigma's CEO provided some insights about curved sensors in a recent interview. One main problem he mentions is that it is very difficult to produce a curve that will match multiple lenses. This is why a curved sensor interchangeable lens system is difficult. A fixed lens camera is a better application, but Sigma needs to overlap its sensor production across all of its DP models to get costs down. With the DP series 4 lenses, they would need 4 different sensors instead of just one now which creates a volume issue. I'm hopeful Sony or Ricoh can reach enough volume with a single model GR or RX. Anyways, take a look at the article, the Sigma CEO always provides very frank and interesting information:

https://translate.google.com/transl...retien-kazuto-yamaki-sigma-opticien-capteurs/
Between a curved sensor Ricoh GR and a curved sensor Sigma DP I'd be hard pressed to choose!

scho

I was hoping (dreaming) to see a refreshed GXR as a full frame camera (not a module).:(