The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ricoh GR-E rumors...

raist3d

So bumped into the Ricoh GR/ GRII successor.. the Ricoh GR-E. At least for the rumor mill that's the name.

36MP curved sensor
To be announced in spring or early summer
Price: $1,800 (USD)
122.0 mm (W) × 64.7 mm (H) × 39.8 mm (D)
28mm f/2.4 lens (non-retractable)
crop modes to 25mm/ 50mm (from another source)
Customizable lens ring
ISO 51,200
New battery

Read more: https://pentaxrumors.com/2018/01/0...e-curved-sensor-camera-rumors/#ixzz55Y6hMHl8

Via Pentax rumors via a deleted post at dpreview earlier in the month. I have to say *IF* (big IF) this is true, I believe I am in. Been missing my Ricoh GR and was just looking at previous work I did over the last two weeks, and I find this.

Gosh that would rock. I can only imagine that Sony also has a curved sensor camera update for their R1XII line in the wings. Supposedly these promise to keep quality high while allowing for smaller design.

But the Ricoh GR has such a great design ethos, this rumor made reality would rock the world of every street photographer that shoots wide angle, even cropped 35mm.

- Ricardo

V

Vivek

Build quality, precise lens alignment and very high QC would be very important with a curved sensor, IMO.

I will wait (for this and the Sony RX2) and watch before decoding. My RX1R II will last me for atleast another 2 years.

raist3d

Build quality, precise lens alignment and very high QC would be very important with a curved sensor, IMO.
That's all very important with any sensor FF of a prime compact. That said, the tech exists now.

I will wait (for this and the Sony RX2) and watch before decoding. My RX1R II will last me for atleast another 2 years.
I honestly don't care for the Sony, but I sure care for the GR. The amazingly well thought out usability, ultra sharp lens, super compactness is what I am hoping carries to whatever this new model will be.

- Ricardo

Frankly

I am predisposed to like a Richoh GR having owned several earlier versions back over 20+ years. BUT I did not enjoy the APS version which had slow AF and allowed dust into the sensor (which should be nearly impossible in a fixed lens camera!).

I fear Ricoh cameras have come and gone, I certainly wouldn't trust them to be around a few years down the road.

Wish they sold their interface to Nikon or others, they have been the only Japanese camera company that actually made a good UI.

V

Vivek

Whatever exists has to go up a few notches. An oot of whack curved sensor would cause more problems than a flat sensor.

Also Ricoh/Pentax have to address dust seals.

That's all very important with any sensor FF of a prime compact. That said, the tech exists now.

biglouis

OMG, I would have to start saving: the GR is may favourite camera and it absolutely rocks.

This specification sounds amazing.

Here's hoping!

Louis

raist3d

Whatever exists has to go up a few notches. An oot of whack curved sensor would cause more problems than a flat sensor.

Also Ricoh/Pentax have to address dust seals.
How do you know that? On what basis. Sony published an article in IEEE (or related) showing such sensor in 2014, *with benefits*.

If anything, about time we move forward here again. :)

And me thinks putting a Full Frame sensor in a compact can fit in pocket camera is "quite a few notches" :)

- Ricardo

raist3d

I am predisposed to like a Richoh GR having owned several earlier versions back over 20+ years. BUT I did not enjoy the APS version which had slow AF and allowed dust into the sensor (which should be nearly impossible in a fixed lens camera!).

I fear Ricoh cameras have come and gone, I certainly wouldn't trust them to be around a few years down the road.

Wish they sold their interface to Nikon or others, they have been the only Japanese camera company that actually made a good UI.
The dust issue seems pretty both common and not as common. I never had it in two years, but I am not trying to deny your experience. But I sure hope they did something better here.

As for the AF- the AF of the Ricoh GR II is a bit faster, but it's really a camera to use more with snap focusing for those fast street moments. Me thinks.

- Ricardo

biglouis

The dust issue seems pretty both common and not as common. I never had it in two years, but I am not trying to deny your experience. But I sure hope they did something better here.

As for the AF- the AF of the Ricoh GR II is a bit faster, but it's really a camera to use more with snap focusing for those fast street moments. Me thinks.

- Ricardo
Ricardo

Not disagreeing about the beauty of the camera for street but I've found that sensor to be all-round beautiful. It was the only digital camera I took with me to Seoul last year and most of the time I was also using the WA adapter. I recall making the decision to get the GR after seeing the amazing variety of work in the threads here at GetDPI and I have said many times: "if Carlsberg made cameras they'd probably make the Ricoh GR."

Never noticed any dust. Just lucky, I guess.

LouisB

Shashin

So bumped into the Ricoh GR/ GRII successor.. the Ricoh GR-E. At least for the rumor mill that's the name.

36MP curved sensor
To be announced in spring or early summer
Price: $1,800 (USD)
122.0 mm (W) × 64.7 mm (H) × 39.8 mm (D)
28mm f/2.4 lens (non-retractable)
crop modes to 25mm/ 50mm (from another source)
Customizable lens ring
ISO 51,200
New battery
That sounds like someone's wish list. One defining points about the GR series is its price (and size). I am not sure a price tag of $1,800 is going to satisfy current GR users (unless the "E" is for "expensive"). (I am also unsure how a crop mode is wider than the taking lens.)

V

Vivek

A rumor has it that this very limitiation stopped Leica from having come up with their paper thin rangefinder camera and instead prompted focus on the exfoliating ones. :ROTFL:

Sony, who? :rolleyes:

How do you know that? On what basis. Sony published an article in IEEE (or related) showing such sensor in 2014, *with benefits*.

DougDolde

I had a GR and stupidly sold it. Great travel camera

But this new rumored model seems overpriced by 2

Shashin

Overpriced? If true it's a FF competing with Leica's Q and Sony's RX1RII.
Which is why I don't think this rumor is true. Why would Ricoh move from the APS-C format and affordable design that made the GR series so popular?

retow

Which is why I don't think this rumor is true. Why would Ricoh move from the APS-C format and affordable design that made the GR series so popular?
FF made Ricoh's GR popular. Now they go back to their format roots for the first time in the digital era. Eventually:clap:

ggibson

I'm crossing my fingers we eventually see a curved sensor full frame compact. I've held off on the RX1rII for the moment in hopes of something like this. The 28/2.4 is fine, not as good as the 35/2 or 35/1.8 curved sensor patents that I've seen posted before. The slim profile of this rumored camera is exactly what I want though!

raist3d

A FF compact at that price is not expensive vs competitors. Though net-end lot of money, most manufacturers are moving up to higher value models to make money, so on that end makes sense.

A ricoh GR FF like this I bet will sell rather well actually. It would be unique if it's really that small.

Also Ricoh could still follow up with APS-C I guess, but I wouldn't imagine them having two models.

- Ricardo

raist3d

I'm crossing my fingers we eventually see a curved sensor full frame compact. I've held off on the RX1rII for the moment in hopes of something like this. The 28/2.4 is fine, not as good as the 35/2 or 35/1.8 curved sensor patents that I've seen posted before. The slim profile of this rumored camera is exactly what I want though!
I don't think the lenses can be compared as "better" just because of the aperture. There are other factors. And then again, what would make this model unique would be the size. I would take a Ricoh GR-esque pocketable F2.4 fixed camera any day over bigger, unpocketable faster lens designs. And from F2.4 to F2.0 is just about 1/2 a stop anyway.

- Ricardo