The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Light L16

Norm N

What Godfrey said! But wait there's more!

I am the public, and I bought the camera in the middle of April. And received it around April 20th. The camera came directly from inventory at Ontario Airpot, Calif, a major delivery point for goods from China. This is not a prototype. It's the production camera thats finally being delivered to customers.

As for going out of business, they're backed by some very sophisticated venture capitalists, including Google ventures. The company goes into the development process in some detail on it's website. The software roadmap has three stages, and it looks as though they are about half way through that process. (The camera will automatically search for and install updates.)

I bought the camera on the basis of the flesh tones in Godfrey's photos, and the color quality and dimensional representation in Carl's fruit bowl. The quality of detail was a very pleasant surprise. I would like a stop or two of additional dynamic range, and that's on the software roadmap. Also full processing in the camera is on the roadmap.

The camera is very usable, but you need to use computer software (Lumen) to get the full capabilities that the camera offers. Their website is: light.co

Norm Nicholson
normnicholson.com

Last edited:

scho

A panorama composited from 3 L16 shots taken yesterday at the arboretum ponds.

sc_john

Does the 5" FHD touchscreen have good visibility in daylight? direct sunlight? Anyone know the resolution of the screen... I cannot find it on the light.co site. Thanks.

John

Godfrey

Does the 5" FHD touchscreen have good visibility in daylight? direct sunlight? Anyone know the resolution of the screen... I cannot find it on the light.co site. Thanks.
The screen is pretty good in bright light, not quite as good as an iPhone but close. If I'm trying to do precise work in blasting light, I try to remember to bring my wide brimmed hat or a focusing cloth to shade it.

I have no idea what the pixel count of the display is. It's high, but irrelevant to my use of the camera. It certainly can't display an image's pixels at 1:1 resolution ... that image resolution isn't even available in-camera. :) It's good enough for framing, selecting the focus point, and for quick review of the images.

G

sc_john

Godfrey,

Thanks for your quick (& helpful) response. I'm really on the fence about this camera. I may take the plunge and rely on the 90 day return period, if I don't bond with it.

John

scho

We did a wetland walk today near Fall Creek at Stewart Park. Except for prolific skunk cabbage not much else in the way of greenery yet.

A girdled tree

Skunk Cabbage

and more skunk

Embraced

Leaving the wetland and crossing the footbridge to the park

Fall Creek

Last edited:

scho

Godfrey,

Thanks for your quick (& helpful) response. I'm really on the fence about this camera. I may take the plunge and rely on the 90 day return period, if I don't bond with it.

John
I concur with Godfrey's points about the camera. Give it time to get used to the unusual design and handling. The L16 has become my favorite walkabout and travel camera and I don't have to sacrifice image quality for the gains in portability. I use the Peak Design field pouch, either on my belt or with the leash for over shoulder carry. Holds the L16, my iPhone X, and wallet with ease.

sc_john

Carl,

Thanks for your comments. I guess the only way to find out if it meets my needs is to give it a try.

John

Godfrey

I concur with Godfrey's points about the camera. Give it time to get used to the unusual design and handling. The L16 has become my favorite walkabout and travel camera and I don't have to sacrifice image quality for the gains in portability. I use the Peak Design field pouch, either on my belt or with the leash for over shoulder carry. Holds the L16, my iPhone X, and wallet with ease.
Same bag here ... I fitted one of their Slide Light straps and drop the iPhone 8 Plus, wallet, and Light L16 into it.

G

scho

Steamboat Landing at the Farmers Market. Beautiful, warm May afternoon. The fisherman on the dock had three lines out, but he didn't seem to be overly busy pulling in fish.

Memorial benches

Looking back towards the lake just below the Landing.

Norm N

150mm, cropped
WshPK2ind-00084.jpg

35mm
WshPKPurpFlwr-00067.jpg

75mm
WPStatue75-00075.jpg

75mm
WshPKGrls-00061.jpg

150mm
WshPKGrls150-00066.jpg

Obviously, the camera is capable of producing really good images. Due to the heavy computational load, at this point in time it's an enthusiasts camera.

I also thins it's a shame that Peta Pixel, DPreview and Imaging Resource reviewed the camera when the company was only 30 to forty percent through the software development cycle. It's a keeper for me.

Godfrey

Obviously, the camera is capable of producing really good images. Due to the heavy computational load, at this point in time it's an enthusiasts camera.

I also think it's a shame that Peta Pixel, DPreview and Imaging Resource reviewed the camera when the company was only 30 to forty percent through the software development cycle. It's a keeper for me.
(bolded) Same here.

I hope that the folks at Light will engage the press strenuously when they have polished up the firmware, have more in-camera capabilities completed, and have Lumen available in a v1.0 release.

Godfrey

Off on another tangent ...

I have been experimenting with the new Polaroid Originals B&W film. For this exposure, I made a prior exposure in the same light and found that the shutter time was such that there was just time to move the camera as the exposure finished to create this dreamy effect.

MiNT Polaroid SLR670a
Polaroid Originals 600 B&W Color Frames Edition

Scanned with Light L16
ISO 100 @ f/15 @ 1/5 @ 70mm

One of the difficulties whem shooting with SX-70 type integral instant film is that the shiny cover surface on the image area makes it very difficult to capture to digital due to Newton rings and/or specular reflection. I decided to try using the L16 as a copy camera because I could work at a reasonable distance and control the reflections, and the camera has great DoF at its default settings. It does a good job, making it easy to see and frame accurately what I wanted from the original. The biggest difficulty is nailing the focus just right, but once you get past that hurdle the results are very true to the original image. I made very minimal adjustments to the captured Polaroid image to get it just right.

Doing this proved to me once again that the Light L16 has a great deal of versatility, more than appears when you first pick it up and start to figure it out.

G

Godfrey

Another scan of instant film with the Light L16.

MiNT Polaroid SLR670a +
Polaroid Originals 600 B&W Color Frames Edition

Scanned with Light L16

I've refined the technique now and have the Light's focus dead on the mark every time.

enjoy!
G

Godfrey

Heading off on an annual trip up to the Mendocino coast area for the next three days with my moto buddies.

I'm taking the Light, the iPhone 8 Plus, a Sirui T-025x tripod and adapters for both. Amazing how this gear takes up so little space in my motorcycle bags! :)

Onwards!
G

scho

Handheld snap of a houseplant blossom. Set aperture to f/2.8 and adjusted focus point in Lumen to get shallow DOF.

Last edited: