The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Light L16

scho

A brief mother's day morning excursion to get some plants at a nursery in the nearby village of Newfield, NY.

The Newfield covered bridge.

West Branch Cayuga Inlet below the bridge.

Last edited:

Godfrey

I'm back from my travel.

The Light did a magnificent job! I made about 40 exposures and most are very very satisfying.
Working the rendering process now. :)

G

scho

A young lady unloading her SUP gear at the Stewart Park boathouse dock on Fall Creek.

scho

Another detail shot of a window at the old boathouse. Even the 70mm setting on the L16 can produce impressive sharpness and resolve fine detail.

scho

Buttermilk Creek above the gorge.

and some nearby redbud trees still in blossom.

Godfrey

I set the L16, handed it to my partner, and had him shoot a quick portrait of myself and my cousin Matthew Arno when we were in Texas for a wedding last month. I hadn't seen Matthew for eight or nine years and felt I should document us together, we only have so many chances to get together these days since he had moved to Washington and I'm in California. I used to see him every weekend when we were kids; he was born the same year as my youngest brother and was like a kid brother to me too.

Light L16
ISO 2844 @ f/3.2 @ 1/40 @ 70mm

I'm so glad to have this photograph now. He suddenly and very unexpectedly passed away in the late hours of Monday evening.

It's hard to see a man still in his prime die so suddenly like that. Very hard.

G

sc_john

The results displayed in the images posted here are very impressive. I am really close to pulling the trigger, but one thing that concerns me is the need to introduce Lumen into my workflow. I realize that the types of image you shoot has a lot to do with this question, but do you find that you need to spend much time in Lumen to get an acceptable file to move into your image editor; I am specifically thinking about focus fine-tune and edit depth adjustments to repair (enhance) initial computation results? TIA for any comments/experience.

John

Godfrey

Hi John,

The big time sink in using the L16, for me, has been getting familiar enough with the camera in order to minimize how much modification to the capture is needed.

In the workflow I've adopted, I use Lumen to import all the files to my computer, do a quick look through there, and then output the files as JPEG + DNG for processing in Lightroom. I do most of my image rendering in Lightroom on the DNG files, sometimes the DNGs and/or JPEGs straight out of Lumen are right on the money and I need to very little else.

In LR, then, I identify which specific images might benefit from further work in Lumen, such as narrowing the focus zone or whatever. Usually this amounts to two or three out of a dozen exposures. At that point, I return to Lumen and make the adjustments, re-output to JPEG+DNG, and then do the finishing work in Lightroom.

Using Lumen is a bit of a burden sometimes, but overall it's proving to be fairly easy to minimize how much work I need to do in it since I've developed a good feel for how to shoot with the L16 now. The most common thing I need it for is to make the focus zone a bit shallower .. For instance, in the photo of myself and my cousin above, I used this to gently blur the background a little bit, since the default output is at nominally f/15.

G

sc_john

Godfrey,

Thanks for comments. It is encouraging to hear that the usage of Lumen can be "limited"... my inference from your words. And, your image of you and your cousin speaks louder than words; it is a fine image in so many ways.

John

scho

Lake and stream levels are getting high from frequent storms passing through the area. Fall Creek and Stewart Park boathouse.

Last edited:

Norm N

28mm, 1/30, iso 925, f15, hand held

LACCWmnGE-00139.jpg

55mm, 1/25, iso 1417, f15, handheld, SOOTC

LACCWmnAppGE-00130.jpg

The camera has outstanding color accuracy and ability to carry color into the highlights. There is no additional sharpening or noise reduction in these photos. In fact, it has the best color quality of any camera I have ever used.

As Godfrey stated, most photos can be processed straight though Lumen and into your post processing software. The camera is versatile and quick, once you understand how to work with it. But processing in Lumen is where the final photo is created.

scho

Another wet day. Just trying some monochrome conversion with the L16 files and additional toning in Lightroom.

Last edited:

Godfrey

A great little camera, John! I hope you find it as much fun and as capable as I (and Carl and Norm) do. :D

I'm super happy that I bought into it when the crowdfunding effort started in 2015. I got it at a deal of a price given what I now know about it, and when I see what it produces. It was a long wait, but worth it.

G

scho

A great little camera, John! I hope you find it as much fun and as capable as I (and Carl and Norm) do. :D

I'm super happy that I bought into it when the crowdfunding effort started in 2015. I got it at a deal of a price given what I now know about it, and when I see what it produces. It was a long wait, but worth it.

G
+1! Thanks for persevering Godfrey. Your pioneering experience convinced me to try the L16 and I'm very happy that I did. Bonding takes awhile with this camera but after it shows you what it is capable of it invites you to explore more.