The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Light L16

Godfrey

Had the L16 with me for a couple of outings...

Light L16
ISO 100 @ f/5.6 @ 1/120 @ 75mm

Light L16
ISO 100 @ f/15 @ 1/1000 @ 75mm

enjoy!
G

Godfrey

An amusing note:

So, with the help of the Light.co support folks, I found out how I can transfer 'preview quality' photos to my iPhone 8 Plus while on the road. It takes two cables, the Light L16 charger, and a Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter ... a clumsy mess of wires and bits ... until they come out with the WiFi app that's really needed. It works, it's kinda slow, and at least you can do something with the image files other than look at or manipulate them on the camera's display until you get to a macOS or Windows machine with Lumen; better than nothing.

In the meantime, I'd ordered a new iPad Pro 11". Apple has improved so many things in the iPad Pro line with these new models it was simply irresistible ... better keyboard cover, faster IO, VASTLY more powerful processor, HUGE RAM and storage (I went for the 1T storage model, which includes an additional 2G RAM over the other ones, for a total of 6G RAM ... raw processing apps fly on this machine!). The 2nd gen Apple Pencil is finally the product I wanted. Et cetera.

One of the first-look negatives, though, is that the 2018 iPad Pro computers now use a USB-C connection rather than the Lightning connection, so I groused about the $100 or so in dongles and cables I needed to buy to connect to my old Mac mini and other things. The plus side, though, is that this is definitely a far faster port and has a lot more future to it, while nearly as compact as the Lightning port.

So I had the new iPad on my desk and the L16 on my desk. The L16 has a USB-C port too. Hmm. I grabbed the standard USB-C to USB-C charger cable in the iPad box and connected them together. No fuss, no muss: The L16's preview JPEG contents are immediately available in Photos for downloading. I selected about a hundred of them ... One hundred 16Mpixel JPEG files were transferred in less than five seconds. Not full resolution or quality, but good enough for on-the-road quickie stuff, etc.

Example:

Spear Plant - Santa Clara 2018
Preview quality JPEG, unedited
Transferred direct to iPad Pro 11"

Light L16
ISO 113 @ 1/120 sec @ 70mm

Wow. I can work with that.

G

scho

A quiet Christmas Eve afternoon stroll along the waterfront and Farmers Market with the Light 16. Merry Christmas to all the GetDPI folks!

Godfrey

One year using the Light L16, for me, was met on December 19, 2018. In that entire year, I had never erased anything from the camera. At just over 800 exposures, there was still plenty of storage space available, but I thought it might be nice to start fresh for the next year with everything made with the latest camera firmware.

I set up an archive space for year one and downloaded everything in the camera to it, deleting after download. The LRI, LRIS, MPEG4, and JPEG previews altogether are 161 Gbyte in size, 2308 files. I opened Lumen to that archive ... As I scan through them, I see lots of possibles: photos that I want to process further.

Some holiday bits now recorded in my 2018 Holidays Archive:

Holiday Cards - 2018

The Holiday Setting - 2018

Decorated Trees - 2018

All hand-held with the L16, processed to DNGs in Lumen, and then finished with Lightroom 6.14. Borders added with Flare 2.

The camera's an empty, clean slate to work with now. There have been some very nice improvements to the camera's operation since it was released, and I expect there's a good deal more to come. Can't wait to see what next year's archive has to offer!

Happy New Year to you all!

G

Godfrey

I am on a week-long cruise in the Caribbean. I decided to carry only the Light L16 and explore how it worked for travel. Being as I only have my iPad Pro 11-inch with me, I only have access to the JPEG preview files it creates in camera..

Street Scene, South Beach - Miami 2019
Light L16

Enjoy! G

Godfrey

Where I was Saturday evening:

Dinner in South Beach - Miami 2019
Light L16 (preview quality)

Currently sailing between Florida and Cuba in the Gulf, on the way from Nassau to Yucatán, Mexico. :D

G

Godfrey

In port, Cozumel, Mexico ...

Bubba Gump Shrimp Company
Light L16 (Preview quality)
Some corrections with SnapSeed

Enjoy,
G

Adam L

Nice images Godfrey. I've been considering getting a light because of the images you and others post on this thread. It looks like a fun camera.

Their website shows that they've run out of product. Sold Out. Nothing. I don't see any mention of a version 2 or indication when stock will be available. I'm surprised because during the holiday's they were offering the camera at a discount. It seems unusual for a business low on inventory to do such a thing. Especially for a startup.

Are there any signs of a replacement? Rumors? I've not seen any.

Godfrey

No idea really. I like the camera, it's wonderfully compact for travel and makes good photos. It's bit less than ideal on responsiveness, but otherwise is doing me well. And all I've seen so far are just the preview grade files from this trip.

I hope they do an updated model with a bit more responsiveness, and I do hope for another round of firmware/Lumen development soon. :D

G

Godfrey

In port, Roatàn, Honduras:

Claro - Roatàn, Honduras 2019

Enjoy!

G

Godfrey

A few more from the cruise posted ...

Girl Running An Errand - Roatàn, Honduras 2019

Chaccoben Ruins - Costa Maya, Mexico 2019

Three Men At The Bar - At Sea, Caribbean 2019

The rest will have to wait. It's the last day of the cruise, we're in port in Miami tomorrow morning and then it's the air trek back to California.

:)

Enjoy!
G

Godfrey

One more cruise shot from this morning for good measure.

Waking Up On The Promenade (The Party Isn't Over ... Yet) - At Sea 2019
Light L16 (preview resolution)

Enjoy!
G

Godfrey

Morning already ... The dance music was still going...

Light L16
ISO 814 @ f/16 @ 1/60 @ 128mm

enjoy,
G

Godfrey

Slowly continuing to process photos from the cruise:

Light L16
ISO 2476 @ f/15 @ 1/15 @ 75mm

enjoy!
G

Godfrey

Whew! Just did a batch rendering of ALL the remaining Light exposures from the trip into full resolution DNG files. It's easier for me to sort and pick images to work on using Lightroom, including whether to do any reprocessing of the original.

400 image files rendered to DNG becomes 67 Gbytes of raw image files and consumed four hours processing time on my Mac mini ...

Lots of work to go, but that's a big step in the workflow. :)

G