The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

ZFF rumour

iiiNelson

ZieSS your pennies: Full frame camera | SAR

:watch:
A part of me is borderline hoping they do a FF “Rangefinder” style E mount camera and just call it the Digital Ikon. Hell they can even include a 35 or 50 Loxia in the package and offer the camera Leica still hasn’t made than many hope(d) for the last 5 years or so. I’d buy THAT camera in a heartbeat and Sony could focus on the “Pro SLR” style bodies.

V

Vivek

Cosina or Sony would make the camera and Zeiss will put their blue label and peddle it as “Zeiss”?

Would it go the same way as Hasselblad’s Lunar?

Knorp

Cosina or Sony would make the camera and Zeiss will put their blue label and peddle it as “Zeiss”?

Probably no, but if it is the case than it will be more like Leica's compact series.
One thing for sure: no looney Lunar from Zeiss.

iiiNelson

I actually wouldn’t have any issue if Sony or Cosina manufactures the actual camera that Zeiss designed to save money just like I didn’t care that some of my Leica lenses were made in Canada. I believe that Cosina made some of the Ikon rangefinders in Japan and many say the camera was as good if not better than the M7 though many didn’t like the boxiness of the camera.

All that being said, I’m sure SOME people would care but I stopped getting caught up in that provided the IQ is as expected and the camera is reliable. All the other stuff has become secondary to me. Ultimately it’s what put me off on the XH1 the second time I went to try it (and buy one) the camera shutdown and froze on me. Then I started reading reports from all around the world of people having those issues... and I’m of the mindset that firmware updates shouldn’t be the normal way around problems that arise from not thoroughly testing prior to launch.

This camera is more likely that this is a different take on the RX1 cameras (from reports/rumors) but one can hope for something a little more flexible than a fixed lens camera. That would be a nice luxury to have but I’m really only interested in system cameras at this point in my life.

ggibson

– Slightly bigger lens construction than you get on the Sony RX1 series.
/sadface

Although if this camera displaces a bunch of RX1rII's, I might like to pick one up at a nice discount :)

peterv

Exactly!

I can see the usual suspects - myself included - coming online to talk about this camera :)

For me, the thought of a camera/lens/sensor combo, even better my RX1M2, maybe with German design and minimalistic button layout, maybe with a new 35mm 2.0 optical design ...

Knorp

At least it seems only black and chrome. No wooden Lunar-like details to be seen (yet). Here's hope !

iiiNelson

They will regret that comment. :lecture:
LOL... perhaps!!! I really think the fixed lens camera craze sorta should’ve ended when cell phones and social media picture share sites like Instagram really took off. It’s not to say the quality wouldn’t be as good but it’s a niche market and I’ve always found them to be priced about 50%+ more than I was comfortable spending on that type of camera. A Fuji x100 camera was attractive to me at $6-800 but not at $9-1200. A RX1 (as nice and capable as it is) is attractive to me at $15-2000 but not at $25-3500. Leica Q... well it would’ve made for a nice digital M-mount receptacle but I’d never spend over $4k for a point and shoot myself.

I realize I may be in the minority with this but I don’t get the same value with a high-end digital point and shoot as a system camera.

Last edited:

scho

A part of me is borderline hoping they do a FF “Rangefinder” style E mount camera and just call it the Digital Ikon. Hell they can even include a 35 or 50 Loxia in the package and offer the camera Leica still hasn’t made than many hope(d) for the last 5 years or so. I’d buy THAT camera in a heartbeat and Sony could focus on the “Pro SLR” style bodies.
Zeiss needs to get a shot of German testosterone and go for an all out war with Leica. Make the Zeiss Ikon digital RF now and stop fooling around with fixed lens P&S stuff.