The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma L-Mount cameras and lenses

ggibson

Latest from the Sigma president is that they'll be focusing on mirrorless lens development for the future, but will also make a full-frame l-mount camera.

Don't get your hopes up that it'll be Merrill though! And I'm guessing that they'll stick with Quattro rather than some other multi-layer or (heaven forbid) Bayer sensor.

Godfrey

L-Mount Q&A: https://l-mount.com/en/Q-and-A
This is exciting news. Finally, other glass, besides Sigma's, gets a chance to project light on Foveon sensor!
Leica has done an excellent job with the L-mount specification. Broadening its use across three brands of bodies, sensors, and lenses can only be to the benefit of all, both the companies and the users.

This is very exciting stuff! FF and APS-C, lenses by all three manufacturers, bodies by all three manufacturers with various different kinds of sensors and feature mixes ... there are so many options this alliance opens up, it's fantastic.

G

ggibson

L-Mount Q&A: https://l-mount.com/en/Q-and-A
This is exciting news. Finally, other glass, besides Sigma's, gets a chance to project light on Foveon sensor!
Don't forget about this frankencamera :p

https://petapixel.com/2013/04/02/sigma-dp-cameras-hacked-to-play-nicely-with-leica-m-lenses/

After seeing the size of the Panasonic and Leica full-frame lenses, and knowing Sigma's DSLR lens lineup and recent camera designs, I'm a lot less excited about this potential system. Everything looks huge and heavy. Where's the small rangefinder body for travel use? Or pancake/compact lenses? So far Leica has the TL cameras/lenses (I wonder if any of these lenses would cover full frame?), but these aren't full frame of course.

iiiNelson

I requested an L-Mount Section so that everything could be in one place for all things pertaining to it. Seems like it’ll likely draw enough users between Leica (now) and Panasonic/Sigma within a years time.

This is very exciting stuff! FF and APS-C, lenses by all three manufacturers, bodies by all three manufacturers with various different kinds of sensors and feature mixes ... there are so many options this alliance opens up, it's fantastic.
Sigma lenses are currently available for Canon, Nikon, and Sony, so I don't see any of those brands' owners shifting to Leica or Panasonic. I also don't expect to see too many Leica camera owners using Panasonic or Sigma lenses, or many Panasonic or Sigma owners using Leica lenses. I think this is a lot of hoopla.

iiiNelson

Sigma lenses are currently available for Canon, Nikon, and Sony, so I don't see any of those brands' owners shifting to Leica or Panasonic. I also don't expect to see too many Leica camera owners using Panasonic or Sigma lenses, or many Panasonic or Sigma owners using Leica lenses. I think this is a lot of hoopla.
Sigma did state they’d release some exclusive lenses for this system and there’s a chance many Leica owners would look to Panasonic/Sigma for lenses they may seem less critical or focal lengths where the Leica price may not be 100% justified to them - the same way some use Zeiss and Voigtlander lenses on their M. I agree that it may not be the rule for all but I wouldn’t rule out some people that happen to be Leica owners buying say a S1R if they want a high resolution body or a S1 for improved video features. It’s a possibility.

Malina DZ

Unlike Leica & Panasonic, Sigma supports its cameras and lenses with a 4-year warranty in the USA. They service claims quickly without a need to send faulty/damaged items to the motherland. I wish Leica took some lessons from Sigma to improve their US warranty service, since it's not as premium as Leica prices are.

I'm only curious to see what a next generation full frame Foveon chip will have to offer. And then I might be tempted to wait for a compact DP series that feature a leaf shutter. Otherwise, there is a myriad of cameras and lenses to take pictures with that we already have access to.

iiiNelson

So apparently Sigma plans to release all existing (14 in total) Sigma Art lenses in L-mount before the end of 2019. If this actually happens there will be about 30-35 native L-Mount lenses between Panasonic, Leica, and Sigma. Would not be a bad start at all

phorn333

As a Foveon fan and an owner of many Canon EF lenses, I am not only excited about the announcement of a new full-frame Foveon sensor body, but also Sigma's announcement that they will make an EF to L mount lens adapter. It will be great to have the ability to use my Canon lenses on the new Sigma body (as well as Leicas and Panasonics).