The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Highlight weighted metering on the new GR 3?

neilvan

I use it 75% of the time with my D500, love it! Olympus has it but it doesn't quite work as nicely as the D500 in my experience.

This new GR looks like a real update vs the GRII but still not enough to make me 'upgrade' from my original GR.

Shashin

Highlight metering is not a form of ETTR. How well it works depends on how it is implemented. Indexing metering to the highlights is a bit complex as scene contrast can play a more critical role. It would probably be something to use under certain conditions.

Tim

I have Highlight and Shadow bias modes on my ancient 1984 OM4 and used it on occasions.
The multispot meter in the OM4 worked very well and I had nearly all of a roll properly exposed using it.