The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Best announcement at Photokina? Ricoh GR III

I read the following:-

I bought a RX1R II instead and got hooked to it.

Having posted earlier that I will move from my original Ricoh to the GR3 as soon as they become available in the UK I'd like to hear from you folk with the RX and why you prefer it? It is double the weight and noticeably bigger. Two minus points. Does the image quality more than balance those out on the plus side?

Tony - London UK

jminor

Lots of positive changes. I always find I am adjusting the EV compensation by mistake with the current rocker switch on the right edge, so I am glad that is gone.

Not too sure what has happened to the 'Tav' setting. But now I come to think of it that can be programmed into one of the customer user settings.

All in all, definitely on my wish list for next year.

LouisB
This article indicates the Tav setting has been replaced by "M" for manual exposure.

https://www.grblog.jp/en/article/845/

Thanks for the comments regarding

I bought a RX1R II instead and got hooked to it.

I also read the comparisons.

I would love one. I can afford one. I can have one by the weekend.

Snag is that, unlike the Ricoh, it will not fit into my trouser pockets. The Ricoh is our travel camera. If my wife is carrying something large enough to take a pullover/sweater the Ricoh can pop in there and she will hardly notice its existance. Otherwise it lives in my jacket or trouser pocket. I cannot think that would be possible with the RX1R.

So, sadly, the one on the camera shop shelf with my name on it must stay there.

Convince me I am wrong and you'll make my day.

Tony
London UK

V

Vivek

You can look for different carrying options other than trouser pockets or use trousers with large pockets. :grin:

Thanks Vivek,

I said I could afford one - but I did not count in the cost of retailoring my trousers.......

You'd have more than a BIG GRIN if you saw my collection of slax.

Tony

kai.e.g.

I have the RX1R (first edition), and never really warmed to using it. Images are great, of course, but the camera itself doesn't float my boat. It has quirks [the one I hate most is its obsession with selecting 1/80 shutter speed in aperture priority] and ommisions [intervalometer?] that Sony could have easily fixed with a firmware release, but apparently they don't believe in firmware releases, which kind of put me off Sony in general. Having dropped that much cash on the thing never to see its software updated feels like Sony doesn't care. It also doesn't help having been spoiled by Ricoh & Fuji regular firmware updates and generally great ergonomics.

ggibson

I have the RX1R (first edition), and never really warmed to using it. Images are great, of course, but the camera itself doesn't float my boat. It has quirks [the one I hate most is its obsession with selecting 1/80 shutter speed in aperture priority] and ommisions [intervalometer?] that Sony could have easily fixed with a firmware release, but apparently they don't believe in firmware releases, which kind of put me off Sony in general. Having dropped that much cash on the thing never to see its software updated feels like Sony doesn't care. It also doesn't help having been spoiled by Ricoh & Fuji regular firmware updates and generally great ergonomics.
Yeah, it's disappointing that Sony doesn't provide much in the way of firmware support for new features or requests. Your two quirks are things that they fixed with the RX1rII, but could certainly have been addressed via software updates to the original RX1.