The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Best announcement at Photokina? Ricoh GR III

biglouis

Lots of positive changes. I always find I am adjusting the EV compensation by mistake with the current rocker switch on the right edge, so I am glad that is gone.

Not too sure what has happened to the 'Tav' setting. But now I come to think of it that can be programmed into one of the customer user settings.

All in all, definitely on my wish list for next year.

LouisB

iiiNelson

Interesting... the last one (or current one technically) delivers some of the best digital B&W shots out of a camera. Too bad I mostly dislike 28mm.

Tim

Lots of positive changes. I always find I am adjusting the EV compensation by mistake with the current rocker switch on the right edge, so I am glad that is gone.

Not too sure what has happened to the 'Tav' setting. But now I come to think of it that can be programmed into one of the customer user settings.

All in all, definitely on my wish list for next year.

LouisB
Louis, I am pleased so see some positive commentary on this little gem. Over on another discussion forum some have become incensed at what is gone from the GR III. I rarely used the flash and when I did it never produced a good keepers for me, so I won't miss it I don't think. Perhaps as a trigger it could have been useful.

I did use that EV rocker from time to time but I won't let its omission stop me from buying one. I will be purchasing as I rely on the GR series as my go everywhere pocket camera.

Your idea on the Tav mode is a good workaround.

I suspect you will be buying and we'll see some great images from you.

Tim

Interesting... the last one (or current one technically) delivers some of the best digital B&W shots out of a camera. Too bad I mostly dislike 28mm.
How about 35mm? It will crop the 24Mp APSC to that equivalent.
Some loss in data obviously, not worth it I guess.

biglouis

How about 35mm? It will crop the 24Mp APSC to that equivalent.
Some loss in data obviously, not worth it I guess.
A 35mm has often been requested but as you say, it is easier to crop in and impossible to crop out.

Completely agree about the lack of a need for a flash. I keep on meaning to put together an album at smugmug of purely Ricoh GR photos. I think people would be surprised at what you can get out of a GR II. The sensor is absolutely fantastic as is the lens. And I find the 21mm adapter has very little impact on IQ.

LouisB

I'll buy it simply to get rid of that + - button on the back.

Fifty percent of the time I hand the camera to my wife or a friend to take a shot it comes back to me with an altered exposure setting. It is too easy an inexperienced photographer to hold the camera and accidentally alter that button.

I have sought high and low for a software fix that temporarily disabled the rocker. Now money will buy me out of the problem.

No flash. Yes I can manage. I rarely used it. I have not looked to see if there is a hot shoe but, if there is, then its a matter of buying the smallest third party device and fitting it when needed.

Tony - London UK

Godfrey

Neat. I like the improvements.

To be sure, if I want a 28mm FoV in a pocketable camera, I'll just buy the Leica T18mm lens for my CL and be done with it, but it's always nice to see good stuff from Ricoh appearing. And the whole GR3 will be less expensive than the lens for the CL... :D

retow

Of all the new camera announcements of the last weeks the GRIII is the only one which make me feel serious GAS: :confused::grin:

Frankly

When I first heard of this I thought that maybe I'd get one. After all I've had several GRs going back to the original film version and a few of the tiny sensor ones. Then I realized that the money is probably better spent upgrading to the latest phone... which is more versatile, has great image quality, and is with me by default.

Seriously.

Probably why the small camera market is dismal. If I'm going to consciously go out to photograph then I want to bring a serious camera, not a GR.

Godfrey

Probably why the small camera market is dismal. If I'm going to consciously go out to photograph then I want to bring a serious camera, not a GR.
Well, that simply says that you feel the GR is not a serious camera to me.
Whereas to me, if I bought one, it would be a very serious camera... :D

My iPhone 8 Plus is a serious camera, as well as a great personal computing/communicating device. I use it in tandem with other serious cameras to do photography.

kai.e.g.

I mainly used the flash, dialled way, way down, as a trigger for a handheld off-camera flash, so losing it isn't the end of the world... though I'm not sure how I'll achieve off camera flash now without buying a new flash as well. A slave in the hotshoe? Then where does the optical viewfinder go...? As for the rocker switch for exposure compensation, I was constantly pressing that by accident, so won't shed much of a tear over it. I'll probably buy a GR III, but will keep the GR II at least for a while longer, too!

Tim

https://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/some-additional-ricoh-griii-info/

A lot can happen in 8 months with other brands. Not sure why this announcement is exciting to some. :confused:
Most of the announcements have already been made, unlikely there will be more.

Its an exciting announcement as this is a camera that works in a straightforward way that delivers stunning images in an easily carried package but has great haptics and handling is continuing on with an update to its technology. There was a time I feared that the "smart"fone had ruined the market for such a device.

Sure its not the biggest sensor or the highest of anything but it just works - at least for me.
Its the camera I take out no matter what.

You'd have to try one for some time to fully understand.

Tim

Hey some people get pleasure in pain, whatever floats your boat.
No pain here. no neck pain, no wrist pain, no eye pain from crappy ifone pics either.
If the GR were a boat, it would be a Corvette or PT Boat.

V

Vivek

Most of the announcements have already been made, unlikely there will be more.

Its an exciting announcement as this is a camera that works in a straightforward way that delivers stunning images in an easily carried package but has great haptics and handling is continuing on with an update to its technology. There was a time I feared that the "smart"fone had ruined the market for such a device.

Sure its not the biggest sensor or the highest of anything but it just works - at least for me.
Its the camera I take out no matter what.

You'd have to try one for some time to fully understand.
I was going to, a few years ago.

I bought a RX1R II instead and got hooked to it.

Now, with a dedicated monochrome converted RX1, there is little chance of taking a peak at the GR1.

Tim

I was going to, a few years ago.

I bought a RX1R II instead and got hooked to it.

Now, with a dedicated monochrome converted RX1, there is little chance of taking a peak at the GR1.
Yes, I can understand this. The RX1 renders an image that is unmatched in its tonality and rendering IMO.
I've actually seeked out the best monitor I can get to, then observed images from the RX1 and they have a beauty nothing else does.