The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Zeiss ZX1

iiiNelson

What exactly does it mean to have Lightroom ‘built in’?

Kirk
Lightroom CC Mobile App is built right into the camera. The version that’s likely on your smartphone. You can edit on the 4.5” screen and send a finished image to social media/photsharing websites then sync with your existing Library/Catalog automatically in the cloud. It’s actually a really cool concept and may point to the potential future of cameras down the line possibly. It would be nice to have a removable media slot still but that’s another argument.

algrove

Lightroom CC Mobile App is built right into the camera. The version that’s likely on your smartphone. You can edit on the 4.5” screen and send a finished image to social media/photsharing websites then sync with your existing Library/Catalog automatically in the cloud. It’s actually a really cool concept and may point to the potential future of cameras down the line possibly. It would be nice to have a removable media slot still but that’s another argument.
Surely there must be a way to offload images to an external C-drive or whatever?

How did you make this? I have my doubts about the accuracy
Yeah, I was pretty shocked myself. I went to https://camerasize.com/compare/ and generated the images, then took screenshots, uploaded them to a folder on my website, and linked to them here. You can easily try it yourself. The Zeiss ZX1 is not a compact camera, though it does have some interesting features. Some have complained that the Sony RX1 is cramped. No problem with the Zeiss ZX1. Glad there are choices.

Last edited:

Godfrey

connect to a computer via USB, im guessing it will show up as an external disk
Or hook a USB-C drive up to it and download into a file system. Either way would work well.

I don't see much wrong with a half-terabyte internal storage and no cards to muss with. My Light L15 has a quarter terabyte and still has plenty of space after making 1500 exposures, even with its huge multi-camera files.

BTW, the L16 is also an Android OS-based camera. It works well and is tailored to the camera, not a general purpose release.

Godfrey

...I guess the Zeiss needs the real estate for the screen ...
The Sony is way too small for my hands. The Zeiss is a bit large but would be very comfortable. The Leica M-D and CL are about as small a camera as I want with a traditional layout. Any smaller and the layout has to be radically different, like a Minox III is.

Yes, I have largish hands. :D

G

iiiNelson

They decided using a 4.3" rear LCD was worth the extra size. Perhaps if you are going to do a lot of in-camera editing with Lightroom CC, it was a good choice.
Yeah it’s a good decision to include... unless you aren’t tied into Adobe in any sense of the concept.

Godfrey

The Sony is way too small for my hands. The Zeiss is a bit large but would be very comfortable. The Leica M-D and CL are about as small a camera as I want with a traditional layout. Any smaller and the layout has to be radically different, like a Minox III is.

Yes, I have largish hands. :D

G
So let's look at the ZX1 compared to a FF rangefinder ... the ONLY FF rangefinder ... the Leica M10:

13mm taller, 4mm wider, and just estimating from the photos I've seen, about the same thickness where you grip it. The lens assembly looks about the same as a modern Summicron-M 35mm in size. The Zeiss is 800g; the Leica is 660g sans lens ... add a lens and they're just about the same. (The ZX1 is even closer in size to the Leica SL body-only ... the dimensions are just about identical, the weight of the complete ZX1 is about a hundred grams less than the SL body-only...)

It doesn't seem that enormous to me at all. The LCD is a nice increment bigger, and overall the body has more 'clear' space for my thumbs and gripping, like the SL does. It's not a jammed together dinky little point and shoot to jam in my pocket and nip out for an occasional grab. It looks like a serious photographer's working camera, intended for "all day shooting" use.

A comparison with my Light L16 becomes even closer. Both have USB-C ports, both run on an Android based OS, both have simple, clean shapes that are nicely proportioned, both return a 24+ Mpixel image, both have in-built image storage (256G for the L16, 512G for the ZX1) good for better than a thousand image files, in-camera image processing tools, neither is particularly fast, etc etc. Differences: The ZX1 has an EVF, the L16 does not; the ZX1 has just one focal length and 37 Mpixels, the L16 has a range of focal lengths recording from 16 to 80 Mpixels depending upon settings; the ZX1 is a traditional type of camera, the L16 is a specific take on integrated multi-camera computational photography; the ZX1 is heavier and thicker than the L16; etc, etc.

Nice to see Zeiss getting into the digital camera game with an interesting and compelling serious camera. I would hope that it presages an interchangeable lens camera with similar features and form factor in a reasonably near term future.

G

Last edited:

Knorp

Thanks G, the ZX1's size is for its intended purpose IMO just right. Any smaller and it will become a fiddly affair.