The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Zeiss ZX1

iiiNelson

But without the bottle of Chateau Lafite, I muse?!

I was also a user and supporter of the Sigma Merrils, as Tim is, and in some repects, the ZX1 reminds me of what those cameras might have become, but didn't.

I probaby will buy one if they are not stupid money and the Zeiss designed sensor is up to scratch.

I think the ZX1 frightens some reviewers because it challenges their sense of the global order. Im pretty sure that it will be followed in due course by other cameras of the same ilk, but with diffrent focal length lenses, rather like the Sigma DP2 was followed by the DP1 and DP3.
I’ve always wondered why no one has put a WATE like lens into one of these cameras... something like a 21 or 24, 28 or 35, and a 40 or 50 in a single body. My hesitation to ever buy any of these sorts of cameras always comes down to the lack of flexibility for system camera prices. I find it hard to find the value for myself.

Godfrey

I’ve always wondered why no one has put a WATE like lens into one of these cameras... something like a 21 or 24, 28 or 35, and a 40 or 50 in a single body. My hesitation to ever buy any of these sorts of cameras always comes down to the lack of flexibility for system camera prices. I find it hard to find the value for myself.
The Leica X Vario is such a camera, albeit a zoom with a very high quality lens that is the equivalent of several discrete prime focal lengths.

(BTW: The WATE—aka Tri-Elmar-M 16-18-21mm f/4 ASPH—is a true zoom lens which can be used at in-between focal length settings, unlike the MATE—aka Tri-Elmar-M 28-35-50mm f/4 ASPH—which is actually three discrete focal lengths that cannot not be used at intermediate settings. The WATE is only limited to the three focal lengths on the Leica M as a practical matter of how the rangefinder works whereas when I use it on the CL or SL, I can just zoom in and out at will.)

The Leica Q is only a single focal length lens, but Leica provides the versatility of a three focal length lens camera with it by providing 35 and 50 mm crop settings which do not return the full 24 Mpixel resolution of the 28mm setting. Even the 50mm crop setting produces outstanding quality, albeit at lower pixel resolution.

So there are several ways to cut this cake... :D

G

iiiNelson

Seems like they would have to price it below the Q. But I've been wrong before
I'm guessing 3500
The RX1mkII goes for $3800 so I assume it’ll be higher than that. Neither has a SSD HDD or Adobe built in. I really don’t see this coming in below $4500 and $5-7000 doesn’t seem like it’ll be a price too dear for a true limited edition Zeiss camera either.

iiiNelson

The Leica X Vario is such a camera, albeit a zoom with a very high quality lens that is the equivalent of several discrete prime focal lengths.

(BTW: The WATE—aka Tri-Elmar-M 16-18-21mm f/4 ASPH—is a true zoom lens which can be used at in-between focal length settings, unlike the MATE—aka Tri-Elmar-M 28-35-50mm f/4 ASPH—which is actually three discrete focal lengths that cannot not be used at intermediate settings. The WATE is only limited to the three focal lengths on the Leica M as a practical matter of how the rangefinder works whereas when I use it on the CL or SL, I can just zoom in and out at will.)

The Leica Q is only a single focal length lens, but Leica provides the versatility of a three focal length lens camera with it by providing 35 and 50 mm crop settings which do not return the full 24 Mpixel resolution of the 28mm setting. Even the 50mm crop setting produces outstanding quality, albeit at lower pixel resolution.

So there are several ways to cut this cake... :D

G
The X Vario was DOA on account of the slow lens attached for most people. I think a constant f/4 is about as slow as most are willing to accept for a limited mid range zoom. The Q does multiple focal lengths but the 16 and 8 megapixel settings for the crops sort of rules it out for printing large but it’s probably more than adequate for displaying online... the biggest issue though for me is the 28mm focal length - I HATE THAT FOCAL LENGTH. Give me either a 35, 50, or a 20-25mm focal length.

Hopefully Leica will use the 47 megapixel sensor in the next generation SL, M, and Q to allow a higher megapixel option for those that want it. I’ve gotten used to 42 megapixels and while I don’t need it for everything it certainly gives me creative cropping options in camera to print. I often shoot or crop with a 2:1 or 8:3 crop in mind.

There has been mention of lenses with two focal lengths rather than full zooms.

I read a statistic that if one did a check on one's own shots using zooms most of the shots would be at one or the other extremity. I never got round to doing it but if that is the case it does suggest a twin focal length lens has merit.

I personally would not be happy using 'crop' to fewer pixels as a way forward.

But I am new to this thread. I shot with Leica almost all the time I was shooting film - but left to FF Canon and now m43 to save money and weight. Maybe now, in my sunset years, is the time to look at Leica again.

Tempt me.

Tony
London UK

Godfrey

The X Vario was DOA on account of the slow lens attached for most people. I think a constant f/4 is about as slow as most are willing to accept for a limited mid range zoom. The Q does multiple focal lengths but the 16 and 8 megapixel settings for the crops sort of rules it out for printing large but it’s probably more than adequate for displaying online...
{snip}
Sure sure sure. I don't like zooms, really, so it's never been a camera I was interested in anyway.

Have to say: I've had 20x27 inch prints made with a 5Mpixel camera win awards in exhibitions. So 8Mpixels seems fine to me for a lot of work. But I'm happier with 24Mpixel ... that's a bit more than I ever need, which gives me plenty of overhead. :)

Godfrey

I read a statistic that if one did a check on one's own shots using zooms most of the shots would be at one or the other extremity. I never got round to doing it but if that is the case it does suggest a twin focal length lens has merit. ...
I had exactly this situation when I had a Canon 10D, I think it was, and their L 24-70/2.8 lens. I found it an obnoxiously heavy and ponderous thing to work with. When I looked at the stats of a couple thousand frames, it seemed I was always at 28mm, 50mm, and 70mm. So I sold that lens and bought the 28/1.8, 50/1.4, and 100/2. So much happier to carry just two lenses at one time that way.

That was an eon ago. :) Now that setup seems ponderous and heavy to me. The CL with a 28/2.8 and 50/1.4 worked very nicely and is half the size and weight.

The CL with a 28/2.8 and 50/1.4 worked very nicely and is half the size and weight.

When you have a moment could you elaborate on the body and lenses. It is ages since I looked at Leicas and google confuses me. I am seeing Leica CL's at anything from £300 to £3,000 and those lenses do not seem to come in the range associated with the more expensive body which I presume you have and love.

T

Godfrey

The CL with a 28/2.8 and 50/1.4 worked very nicely and is half the size and weight.

When you have a moment could you elaborate on the body and lenses. It is ages since I looked at Leicas and google confuses me. I am seeing Leica CL's at anything from £300 to £3,000 and those lenses do not seem to come in the range associated with the more expensive body which I presume you have and love.
The Leica CL bodies in the £300 class are the old film CL bodies from the 1970s:
https://www.cameraquest.com/leicacl.htm

The 35mm film Leica CL bodies can be fitted with almost any Leica M-mount lens. The native lenses that Leica produced for them were the Summicron-C 40mm f/2 and Elmar-C 90mm f/4.

The CL bodies in the £3000 class are the new digital CL bodies currently in production:
Leica CL // Leica APS-C System // Photography - Leica Camera AG

The modern Leica CL is an interchangeable lens, 24Mpixel, APS-C format camera with an electronic viewfinder (EVF). Overall size of this body is just a hair smaller than a digital Leica M, and it weighs about 200g less. The lens mount for this body native series of lenses is Leica's new L-mount. Because L-mount has a substantively shorter lens mount register than Leica R-Mount and M-Mount, Leica has provided the option of using R and M series lenses on the digital CL using mount adapter (M Adapter L and R Adapter L, and the combination of the two) as well as lens profiles which help ensure that the camera records the correct lens information into EXIF as well as applies lens corrections so that these adapted lenses perform as they were originally designed to for film and the FF digital format.

Native L mount lenses for the digital CL are the T and TL series lenses; available are three zooms (11-23, 18-56, 55-135) and four primes (18, 23, 35, 60 Macro) to date. These lenses support all the modern features of the digital CL (autofocus, various exposure modes, etc). But many people, like myself, use Leica M and R mount lenses on the digital CL given the excellent adapters and lens profiles provided. The 28/2.8 and 50/1.4 I use most are from the R system cameras (Elmarit-R 28mm f/2.8 vI and Summilux-R 50mm f/1.4 vII) The lens plus mount adapters necessary to fit it, in either case, are somewhat more bulky than the native lenses designed for the smaller format but suit my preferences nicely and their imaging performance is superb (much like it always was on the Leica R system bodies) albeit that the field of view is reduced by the smaller format. 28mm on the CL provides approximately the FoV of a 43mm lens on FF, and similarly 50mm provides an equivalent 75mm FoV.

Here're a couple of photos of the digital CL fitted with the Summilux-R 50mm f/1.4:

I made them to show folks the Jason Cui half-case, so they're not really the best to see the camera itself with, but they give you an idea of the size and proportions of the R 50mm lens on the body.

There is a lot more information (and photos) about the digital Leica CL in the Leica CL threads on this and other forums, but I hope that helps you understand the differences between the old and new CL cameras, and the lens kit I'm referring to.

G

furtle

Looks good to me. First, I'm really pleased to se Zeiss enter the camera market again. Wouldn't it be nice if the made an M mount version for all those lovely ZM (and other M) mount lenses available? I can see a lot of refreshing design, including influence from the Sigma dp Quattro cameras; a body/grip style I really like.

Memory cards are cheap and a very convenient way of getting your images onto a 'puter hard drive van a fast, direct connection. I guess, with the built in (ample) storage, it'll just be a case of using a cable for a quick transfer. Wifi etc can be very slow.

Well done, Zeiss. I hope this is a commercial success.

iiiNelson

Sure sure sure. I don't like zooms, really, so it's never been a camera I was interested in anyway.

Have to say: I've had 20x27 inch prints made with a 5Mpixel camera win awards in exhibitions. So 8Mpixels seems fine to me for a lot of work. But I'm happier with 24Mpixel ... that's a bit more than I ever need, which gives me plenty of overhead. :)
Yeah I’m genuinely a prime guy myself. I only own one zoom still and that’s the 14-45 on my Panasonic G1. I do think a Tri-Elmer of some sort would be well received on a future Q.

I only mention the zoom zoom type lens for the purposes of getting all the resolution you expected when you pay for the product. I still have my D-Lux 4 too now that I think about it and those are 10 good megapixels. I have taken a few of my favorite pictures with that camera as well but I don’t know that I’m printed larger than 8x10 with it. I’m sure I can but I like my pictures to look detailed from close or far. I generally print at 18x27 for Cameras that are 16-24 megapixels... I generally print at 36x24 for cameras 30+ megapixels at 300-360dpi for either.

Godfrey

Yeah I’m genuinely a prime guy myself. I only own one zoom still and that’s the 14-45 on my Panasonic G1. I do think a Tri-Elmer of some sort would be well received on a future Q.

I only mention the zoom zoom type lens for the purposes of getting all the resolution you expected when you pay for the product. I still have my D-Lux 4 too now that I think about it and those are 10 good megapixels. I have taken a few of my favorite pictures with that camera as well but I don’t know that I’m printed larger than 8x10 with it. I’m sure I can but I like my pictures to look detailed from close or far. I generally print at 18x27 for Cameras that are 16-24 megapixels... I generally print at 36x24 for cameras 30+ megapixels at 300-360dpi for either.
A Q Vario might be nice, but it will be somewhat bulky (and heavy) if the lens speed is at f/4 or faster, and it's a constant aperture type zoom.

You tend to print larger (way larger in some cases) than I do, on average. But both of the exhibition winning prints I mentioned looked plenty sharp, at least to my eye. Neither here nor there, but 24 Mpixel is plenty for what I do. :)

iiiNelson

A Q Vario might be nice, but it will be somewhat bulky (and heavy) if the lens speed is at f/4 or faster, and it's a constant aperture type zoom.

You tend to print larger (way larger in some cases) than I do, on average. But both of the exhibition winning prints I mentioned looked plenty sharp, at least to my eye. Neither here nor there, but 24 Mpixel is plenty for what I do. :)
Maybe but that’s where I think a WATE or MATE can be great and not overly large.

24 megapixels is fine for most of what I do honestly speaking but at times I like to get creative with the cropping options. I like doing my landscapes shots in a 2:1 (which gets me in theb28-32 megapixel space after crop) or 8:3 ratio which gets me in the 18-22 megapixel realm) lately when possible but I haven’t printed anything at those aspect ratios yet. These are closer to cinema 1.9:1 or 2.35:1 ratios. They’re just sitting on my computer for now. That’s where high megapixel sensors benefit me most.

Quentin_Bargate

Do you think it will have the Image Quality of those Sigmas, Quentin?

Tony
Tony, you know I have bought so many cameras over the years, from large format film to small format digital, but not one has come close to the magic of the Merrills. So unfortunately, while I think the new ZX1 will be a good camera, perhaps a great camera, it probably wont have the *x* factor that the Merrills had.

iiiNelson

Both of those are f/4 lenses and neither is exactly small, nor has servomotor/AF capability. I thought you wanted f/2.8...?
Well not for a zoom. F/4 is probably fine for a zoom. Now for anprime I’d actually prefer a f/1.4 but no one is doing that for any brand.

Godfrey

Well not for a zoom. F/4 is probably fine for a zoom. Now for anprime I’d actually prefer a f/1.4 but no one is doing that for any brand.
Voigtländer has done a lovely set of f/0.95 primes (12, 17, 25, and 42 mm if I recall correctly) for Micro-FourThirds mount. They're delightful performers, if somewhat bulky, and give you all the focus zone control you could want for that quarter-FF sized format. :) If only they covered APS-C format, and then would be available in L-mount.

G

iiiNelson

Voigtländer has done a lovely set of f/0.95 primes (12, 17, 25, and 42 mm if I recall correctly) for Micro-FourThirds mount. They're delightful performers, if somewhat bulky, and give you all the focus zone control you could want for that quarter-FF sized format. :) If only they covered APS-C format, and then would be available in L-mount.

G
Yep I really like Voigtlander lenses in general. I used an assortment of Leica, Zeiss, and Voigtlander when I still owned my M9’s. The only M-mount lens I kept was the Voigtlander 35/1.2 Nokton II. I’d expect them to produce FF L-Mount lenses if they made them at all (similar to how they’re doing with Sony and Leica M) but I wouldn’t hold my breath unless L-Mount Consortium opens up lens production to other companies. I’d be more likely to buy a selection of Zeiss Loxia and/or Voigtlander lenses in E-Mount if I got the itch for manual primes again though. The 40/1.2 Nokton is on my short list of general all purpose lenses to get still eventually.