The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Zeiss ZX1

jrp

There did used to be an Android camera 📸 (was it from Samsung?). But, oddly, it never sold. Perhaps because it didn’t have a phone. It was more compact than this. Perhaps they think that the brand name, and bulk aimed at the more committed photographer is going to avoid a repeat failure.

iiiNelson

There did used to be an Android camera 📸 (was it from Samsung?). But, oddly, it never sold. Perhaps because it didn’t have a phone. It was more compact than this. Perhaps they think that the brand name, and bulk aimed at the more committed photographer is going to avoid a repeat failure.
Yeah you’re talking about the Galaxy NX I believe. I believe Samsung released it shortly before exiting the camera market.

Stuart Richardson

Oof...Düsseldorf in late autumn...they did not give her much to work with for the lighting did they? Terrible fluorescent interior lighting...I still hope the camera is good, but the video did not do much to encourage me, and I am not going to blame the photographer for that. It looks like they just had a day or two to do the video, under deadline etc.

Oof...Düsseldorf in late autumn...they did not give her much to work with for the lighting did they? Terrible fluorescent interior lighting...I still hope the camera is good, but the video did not do much to encourage me, and I am not going to blame the photographer for that. It looks like they just had a day or two to do the video, under deadline etc.
The only thing I remember from the video I saw yesterday was that she spent a long time in a convenience market taking photos and said the camera was soft. I don't remember anything about the camera other than it was big and black.

Knorp

The only thing I remember from the video I saw yesterday was that she spent a long time in a convenience market taking photos and said the camera was soft. I don't remember anything about the camera other than it was big and black.
All true, still I think it's an interesting concept and can see it easily becoming a kind of 'cult' camera.
It remains to be seen if it will become a sales success ... :rolleyes:

Godfrey

Hmm. I received a different message from the video: It is all about her thoughts in using the camera rather than specifics on what the camera produces. It's "soft" in the sense that it is pliant and flexible to her needs without a lot of gadgets and frippery getting in the way, and it comprises a complete photographic system, with finished output she can send to others.

In some ways, it reminds me of the Light L16: With the image processing they've added in-camera, and its large LCD, and the ability to send 15 Mpixel preview files to my iPad, it seems a fairly complete photographic system. Still has some holes in its capabilities, several of which a WiFi control app will cover nicely, but the concept seems similar once past the image capture implementation.

It's all good. I don't need another camera, and I hardly want one either, but I remain intrigued to see the ZX1 when it is released. :)

G

DougDolde

Too big and bulky. And who needs in camera processing? I wouldn't use it.
But anyway I think the Leica Q2 just sunk this Zeiss ship

iiiNelson

Too big and bulky. And who needs in camera processing? I wouldn't use it.
But anyway I think the Leica Q2 just sunk this Zeiss ship
I think a lot of people would love the concept. How it’s executed matters a lot but Adobe, Leica with their Fotos app, and others are investing in mobile applications for the very reason that people are in fact interested in better processing on the go. I can easily see someone using the ZX1 as their personal camera for social media and travel. The camera likely isn’t for me but I do like the concept of it in trying something new.

Godfrey

Revisiting this camera again, it seems to me that for all those who have said, "I'd buy a Leica Q if only it had a 35mm lens instead of a 28mm lens," it would be nearly perfect. Of course, Leica has upped the game a little with the Q2, which gets close to the same pixel resolution as the ZX1 when you set the crop to 35mm, but which I'd choose would be more a matter of which one felt better in my hands than anything else at this point.

One thing I'm a little less taken by is the notion of embedding Lightroom CC into the camera. Not because I don't like Lightroom ... it's been my tool of choice for many years now ... but because I really do not like where Adobe is going with their offerings in the past few years. I do not want to be chained to their notions of what I should be using and paying for.

For that reason alone between the two cameras if for nothing else, the Q2 is more appealing to me at the moment. Whether I ever actually buy one or the other is a question mark that I cannot find an answer to yet. I'm pretty happy with all of the camera equipment I have already, I'm not really needing anything because of limitations of what it can do, I'm not really wanting anything out of pure lust or fantasy, etc etc.

It is good to see Zeiss and Leica continuing to push forward regardless... :)

G