The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Zeiss ZX1

V

Vivek

Not for me, Michiel.

I never liked the Sigma dp quattro either.

Honestly, I think I should dip my RX1R II in gold and cherish it.

(i already do by using it)

Malina DZ

Some interesting specs:
  • ISO: 80-51,200
  • Shutter Speed: 1/8000s -30s. I wonder if 1/8000s is delivered by a mechanical leaf shutter, at f/2? :toocool:
  • No Stabilization of any sort.
  • Integrated hot shoe with Sigma flash protocol. :loco:

https://zx1.zeiss.com

V

Vivek

Presumably, the mechanical shutter is only to 1/1000s. Anything higher is electronic.

Sigma flash- makes little sense!

Some interesting specs:
  • ISO: 80-51,200
  • Shutter Speed: 1/8000s -30s. I wonder if 1/8000s is delivered by a mechanical leaf shutter, at f/2? :toocool:
  • No Stabilization of any sort.
  • Integrated hot shoe with Sigma flash protocol. :loco:

https://zx1.zeiss.com

Frankly

Makes you wonder who’s actually building it?

To me the significant feature is the Android interface ~ finally!

Still I might wait for v.2 like I’ve learned from sad experience.

biglouis

Is this the way cameras will be built in the future?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=3&v=GfVDvBzVrCo

Maybe Leica should have built that camera :thumbup:
Yes!

Why we still have cameras with removable media is beyond me. Memory is so cheap that a camera should come with in-built memory and a single card slot for backup/overflow purposes. If nothing else write speeds to embedded memory would be faster, as well.

Also, android or similar camera interfaces. A camera should really be a portable computer with a first class lens system. Android is the most open of the smartphone systems so I'd plump for that.

All of this was proposed by Tony Northrup in a video a year or so ago and it makes me wonder if Zeiss saw his video and bought into his ideas (tried looking for this video on YouTube but Northrup makes so many I can't find it!).

In time cameras like this will be smaller and I bet the RX1R III if and when it appears will have similar features.

Well done Zeiss for seriously moving forward camera firmware design, let's hope some forward thinking camera companies adopt this for mainstream products.

Just my two cents

LouisB

iiiNelson

Presumably, the mechanical shutter is only to 1/1000s. Anything higher is electronic.

Sigma flash- makes little sense!
Yeah the Sigma flash protocol is a head scratcher for me. Seems like Canon, Nikon, or Sony would be the obvious choices.

Malina DZ

That would be disappointing, considering other compacts, e.g. RX1, can go as high as 1/4000s with a closed down aperture. Leica Q can do 1/2000s at f/1.7.
I wonder what limits continuous frame rate to a maximum of 3fps? Sigma DP Merrill series shoot 3.8 fps in continuous mode since 2012...

Why we still have cameras with removable media is beyond me. Memory is so cheap that a camera should come with in-built memory and a single card slot for backup/overflow purposes. If nothing else write speeds to embedded memory would be faster, as well.
Technical considerations aside, I like the convenience of cards.

JohnBrew

Interesting camera. I'll be waiting for a hands-on. Pricing is a big question as nothing from Zeiss has ever been a bargain. Well made, yes, but priced accordingly.

iiiNelson

Don't think it will be 5K. They'll never price it that high. Should be cheaper than a Sony RX1-R2
Well that camera was being sold for $3800 andnive never know Zeiss to be super cheap. $5k seems to be the likely ballpark for them with a SSD HDD and Lightroom being built in.