The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

DPM and sdQ comparisons

bensonga

In the office today with both my DP2M and sd Quattro with the 30mm f1.4 Art lens. Decided to take a short break and take a few images to compare the results.

Nothing scientific, just a first look. Both of these images were shot at ISO 100 and f5.6. I lightly processed the X3F files in SPP 6.6.1 and then did minor adjustments to levels in PS. No additional sharpening to either image. For both images I simply put the single AF point on the front wheel spokes of the motorcycle model.

There are certainly some interesting and subtle differences between these images, but I'm happy with the results from both cameras. Operationally, the sd Quattro is a hands down winner for me.

Gary

DP2M

sdQ

Last edited:

AlanS

Hi Gary, which is which? There are some subtle differences in the colours and the contrast seems slightly different to me. I am interested how you get on with your new camera, I did consider getting one a while ago but tbh having to use SSP put me off!

bensonga

Hi Gary, which is which? There are some subtle differences in the colours and the contrast seems slightly different to me. I am interested how you get on with your new camera, I did consider getting one a while ago but tbh having to use SSP put me off!
Hi Alan. I’ve edited the post to add the camera identifiers. I read that Sigma recently developed a PS CC plug-in which allows you to open X3F Raw files directly in CC, bypassing SPP. The sd Quattro can also shoot in DNG format instead of X3F. I’m not sure about the earlier Quattro (fixed lens) models.

Gary

AlanS

Thanks Gary, my guess was correct! :D I didn't realise there was a CC plugin (I am on CS6 & LR 6.14 and will not subscribe) but I can imagine it will be very useful along with the DNG option. I have a Fuji GFX 50s so not likely to ever get one now but I look forward to see how you get on with it, so don't forget to post some pics!

bensonga

Thanks Gary, my guess was correct! :D I didn't realise there was a CC plugin (I am on CS6 & LR 6.14 and will not subscribe) but I can imagine it will be very useful along with the DNG option. I have a Fuji GFX 50s so not likely to ever get one now but I look forward to see how you get on with it, so don't forget to post some pics!
I refuse to adopt Adobe’s subscription model also.

Here is the article about the CC plugin for those who might be interested.

https://www.sigmaphoto.com/article/photoshop-plun-in-for-sigma-x3f-files

gnuyork

I refuse to adopt Adobe’s subscription model also.

Here is the article about the CC plugin for those who might be interested.

https://www.sigmaphoto.com/article/photoshop-plun-in-for-sigma-x3f-files
Thanks for this. I wonder if would allow processing in Lightroom as well. Either way, I'd be happy to skip SPP, not that it's a major deal breaker for me. The DPM2 files are worth it.

Interesting comparison... I still prefer the DPM2 file, but it's close enough that if the sdQ is easier to handle that could sway me if I didn't already have the Merrill camera (which is sort of a pain to use, but again worth it to me for the files it creates - could really use a remote shutter release and bulb exposure).