The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ricoh GR III - anyone else getting excited?

Thorkil

Just to say, there are already good pictures at Don's link's
Don and Retow, they have removed the TAV setting on the wheel, but I guess one can, as usual still set the aperture and shutter manual and let the iso do it automatically?
(if I jump, I have this smiling longing, being childish again, a longing for "silly pictures", sort of :rolleyes:)

I'll certainly be getting one so I can get rid of that awful + - toggle on the back that EVERYONE I hand the camera to moves.

I spend my half my time on holiday shots recovering the ones taken of myself and my wife when a well meaning soul offers to take a shot proving we were on holiday together. They are either three stops under or over - and even Ricoh RAW struggles with that.

When I sold my first Ricoh digital I even taped over the toggle as I knew the chum who had bought the camera would accidentally move it and blame me for selling him a duff camera. But he still managed to move the toggle through the tape!!

I'm also a ClearViewer fan. Mine is so old it has needed a bit of glue based first aid. I hope it fits the III but if not I'll treat myself to a new one.

I had forgotten about the Theta. Do people use them for single shots?

Bye

Tony
London SW6

Robert Campbell

I'll certainly be getting one so I can get rid of that awful + - toggle on the back that EVERYONE I hand the camera to moves.

I spend my half my time on holiday shots recovering the ones taken of myself and my wife when a well meaning soul offers to take a shot proving we were on holiday together. They are either three stops under or over - and even Ricoh RAW struggles with that.

When I sold my first Ricoh digital I even taped over the toggle as I knew the chum who had bought the camera would accidentally move it and blame me for selling him a duff camera. But he still managed to move the toggle through the tape!!

I'm also a ClearViewer fan. Mine is so old it has needed a bit of glue based first aid. I hope it fits the III but if not I'll treat myself to a new one.

I had forgotten about the Theta. Do people use them for single shots?

Bye

Tony
London SW6
The DD borrowed mine a couple of years ago to document her trip to Rathlin Island, off the N coast of Ireland. She was leading a group of travel foodies.

She asked one where the 'zoom lever' was. Fortunately he knew. He also said it was a 'hipsters camera', so I gave it to her. Seemed more appropriate, somehow.

Edit: see this, and a couple of subsequent posts:

https://www.getdpi.com/forum/other-cameras/46251-fun-ricoh-gr-post693500.html#post693500

Last edited:

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
I appreciate the offer Don, I was just wanting to see the b&w tonality as the subject matter is not important.
Well, Guess my old age is shining. For the life of me, I can't get any photos to upload and or post. I tried 4 times and nada. Any advice appreciated.

retow

Ok, it works:cool:. Sharp optics (we did not expect less from Ricoh, did we), lots of micro contrast, quite nice jpegs, great high contrast B&W setting, and 24MP of aps-c resolution in a shirt pocket as the icing on the cake. Just a few random snaps from Monte Carlo taken before going into a business meeting. First two color shots tweaked slightly in C1 and then two High Contrast B&W OOC.

Attachments

AlanS

Well, Guess my old age is shining.
No probs Don, I link to my flickr account by copying the BB code into this window then delete anything before and after the

Thorkil

Don, when I uoload, I just open getdpi in two windows, while its faster for me - I upload a jpg at about a bit less than 2Mb perhaps at 1500px or a bit less in width, in the one window, clicking at Gallery, then My Images, then at Upload, then I copy the Direct Link Code further down under the picture at the right, and jump over in the other window in the thread, where I first click at the centered lines-figure, to get the picture centered, then click at frame with a landscape "Insert Image" and insert here the Direct link Code you just copied from the upload, and just Submit Reply, or if you want, perhaps write your camera setting perhaps down below the picture, choosing the suited "Size" of letters and "A" the colours of the letters you prefer and then submit. And if you upload several pictures, for me its fast jumping back and forth between the two open getdpi-windows..
best thorkil

Last edited:

biglouis

My initial thoughts about the GRIII - for what they are worth - having now used it for a few days.

Positives
+ IQ is marginally improved over the GR/GRII but the main benefit is the increased image size which creates the opportunity to crop further and still have a large image.
+ The smaller form factor compared to the GR/GRII makes the camera even more pocket-able.
+ The change from a rocker bar to a wheel for EV compensation removes one of the main ergonomic niggles of the previous cameras.
+ Touch screen focus, or focus and shoot makes more sense for this form factor and works flawlessly.
+ Likewise touch screen controls make it even easier to navigate the already well organised menus.
+ Three user customisable settings on the mode dial (U1-U3) although at least one of these needs to be used to create the Tav mode which has been removed.

Negatives
- The smaller form factor is less easy to grip and I strongly recommend always shooting with a wrist strap.
- IQ improvements may not be great enough to justify changing from the GR/GRII for some.
- Inability to reuse the wide angle lens adaptor from the previous models seems a bit mean.

I admit I am biased as a user of the Ricoh GR line so coming up with negatives is a bit hard. I was always going to buy the GRIII no matter what and indeed I am now disposing of my GR.

I think a lot more positive will reveal themselves around the ergonomics of the camera, e.g. the Wifi/Bluetooth and the Smartphone link. As my daughter-in-law pointed out to me today when I showed her the camera the latter is essential for the instagram generation. Also things like the ND filter for shooting in bring sunlight. In fact, to be fair I have not had time to really deeply investigate all the camera and one reason is that it works so brilliantly in Tav mode and the files are so maleable in post I'm not sure I'll ever shoot anything but RAW.

More thoughts as they occur to me.

LouisB

Thorkil

the TAV setting is gone, but its actually the same as with the M setting with auto iso on I guess

biglouis

the TAV setting is gone, but its actually the same as with the M setting with auto iso on I guess
The first thing I did was set up U1 for my normal Tav setting, which is 1/160 and f5.6 and auto iso. Like the old Tav button you can then use the front and rear dials to change aperture and speed. The central control wheel on the back controls EV.

LouisB

biglouis

Me too - I got the wobbly wheel I'm afraid, has send a mail to the dealer but no answer...
I can't decide whether to bother with sending mine back. The wobbliness is imho very minor and my only concern would be can it come apart in some way? I'm in the UK and according to DPreview Ricoh UK are supposed to issue some kind of statement about it.

I've always contended my GR and not the GRIII are a replacement for my old Leica M8 and 28 Elmarit - so maybe Ricoh are trying to emulate Leica in build quality as well as IQ?

:D

Louis

Thorkil

I can't decide whether to bother with sending mine back. The wobbliness is imho very minor and my only concern would be can it come apart in some way? I'm in the UK and according to DPreview Ricoh UK are supposed to issue some kind of statement about it.

I've always contended my GR and not the GRIII are a replacement for my old Leica M8 and 28 Elmarit - so maybe Ricoh are trying to emulate Leica in build quality as well as IQ?

:D

Louis
:eek:
Mine is very minor too, just checked once more, Yes perhaps I'll just let it pas for now, while I've have it, like with doctors and other craftmen, there are 5% that are very skilled and 1% that are extremely skilled, but what will happen, if it end up in the hands of the rest, the 95% ?
:shocked::shocked::shocked:
so perhaps better let it pas...
thorkil

Thorkil

The first thing I did was set up U1 for my normal Tav setting, which is 1/160 and f5.6 and auto iso. Like the old Tav button you can then use the front and rear dials to change aperture and speed. The central control wheel on the back controls EV.

LouisB
Louis, I think I get the same at M-setting?, and press the iso and then toggle between auto iso and fixed iso with the FN-button, and keep pressing, in the snap focus focus-setting, at the macro and then change snap-focus-distance with the upper front wheel is easy too, the ideal street settings then are available I think.. :)