The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ricoh GR III - anyone else getting excited?

biglouis

Not at that price. I am however interested in the Fuji XF10.
It does seem a lot. I found the receipt for my GRII the other day and it cost me £499 and came with a free case. However, I may not be able to stop myself...

Unlike the XF10, you can add on the wide angle adaptor which if it is like the current version will be very good and transforms the camera. And there is the external viewfinder which I use quite extensively.

But it is horses for courses - I just love the ergonomics and build of the current GRII so I suspect I'd choose the GRIII over the competition even if it is priced at a premium.

LouisB

Tim

I am a definite buyer just not sure when. I may wait till there is a price drop as I suspect there maybe early on, but may be wrong.
Either way I will buy.

As for the XF10 there are a lot of negative comments about operation speed of the camera but more of a worry is bad focus comments.
The IQ is also at times mentioned as being soft but from the samples I've seen I find the IQ very appealing. I am sure the XF-10 images would print well.

Thorkil

I am really interested in the GR III, but I don't know if I should wait or get cold and drop it (spend way too much on gear lately),
but perhaps it could get my funny GR life back and restart "the other dimension", and I would really like if I would dare carrying in my pocket without case, easy and ready for use, (but one would be afraid of pocket-dust, or what you call it?-but we only live once)
now where it has become small size again...
hhmmm....

Shashin

Oddly enough, at the price of the GRIII, I am interested in the new 1" Ricoh Theta. Go figure. But the GRIII does have some interesting features like IBIS.

DougDolde

I had the GR II but sold it for some bad reason. It's a sweet little camera and so tiny. The new model should be really good but I probably won't buy. Sticking to one camera, D850, for now. With a 28mm lens I will get better image quality for sacrificing a little size. But it's still a pretty small package compared to previous medium format behemoths

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
I am beyond excited. I have the camera since last week. It seems expensive but what price glory? The most important feature for me was Shake Reduction. That works so well and I can hand hold the GR III at 1/4 second and get a sharp photo. I should explain that I have essential tremor and the reason for the GR III. I would think I could hold steady at less that 1/4 sec but haven't tried. The jpegs ooc are absolutely amazing. The Mono Hard could end RAW for me but probably not. It has a contrast and tonal range like out of the darkroom prints.

It's somewhat smaller than the GR II and that is a welcome feature and the interface is becoming intuitive. Image quality is excellent and will not let you down. Anyway, I'm very happy and it was worth the long wait.
Be Blessed, shooter

biglouis

I am beyond excited. I have the camera since last week. It seems expensive but what price glory? The most important feature for me was Shake Reduction. That works so well and I can hand hold the GR III at 1/4 second and get a sharp photo. I should explain that I have essential tremor and the reason for the GR III. I would think I could hold steady at less that 1/4 sec but haven't tried. The jpegs ooc are absolutely amazing. The Mono Hard could end RAW for me but probably not. It has a contrast and tonal range like out of the darkroom prints.

It's somewhat smaller than the GR II and that is a welcome feature and the interface is becoming intuitive. Image quality is excellent and will not let you down. Anyway, I'm very happy and it was worth the long wait.
Be Blessed, shooter
That sounds great. I'm now probably going to have to wait a few months as I've spent way too much on new Fuji kit. In the meantime I still have my GRII.

One question: does the camera come with a separate battery charger or do you only get a USB in camera charging cable?

LouisB

Thorkil

Be Blessed, shooter
Hi Don
:thumbs:
Long time no see..hope you are well alive
Wish you will post once in a while
Your words make me consider...else I was about turning it down
Best Thorkil

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
That sounds great. I'm now probably going to have to wait a few months as I've spent way too much on new Fuji kit. In the meantime I still have my GRII.

One question: does the camera come with a separate battery charger or do you only get a USB in camera charging cable?

LouisB
The camera comes with a USB charger and it works. I use the Power 2000 aftermarket and it's fine. I use that for everything but the Leica's.

AlanS

If there's something specific you like to see, let me know and I'll get it done.
I appreciate the offer Don, I was just wanting to see the b&w tonality as the subject matter is not important.

retow

I received the GRIII two days ago but could only play around with it in the living room so far. First impressions are positive with built quality comparable to the GRII. Touch screen works smooth and touch-focus or touch-focus-shoot options are very useful. Start up time is considerably faster than with the GRII and the IBIS is surprisingly effective. With steady hands and holding breath a few handheld shots at 1/2 sec. looked sharp. AF is faster than the one from the GRII, but in low light it can hunt when focusing on low contrast targets. However, that's not a deal breaker for me. Definitely a keeper. Pics will follow.